• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is Johnny Desjardins on anyones radar?

14 posts in this topic

Do you already own some of his art?

Johnny D has been around for years.  He was a Finch assistant / protege which is why the style is similar down to the square cross hatching.

I remember seeing his Vampirella and Green Hornet art on Spencer's website several years ago.  Pencils only if I recall correctly.

3 minutes ago, NelsonAI said:

Do you already own some of his art?

Johnny D has been around for years.  He was a Finch assistant / protege which is why the style is similar down to the square cross hatching.

I remember seeing his Vampirella and Green Hornet art on Spencer's website several years ago.  Pencils only if I recall correctly.

I don't as of yet. Just started looking into him after his Batman mash up covers. Outside DC and Marvel new artist tend to fall outside my peripheral. Sounds like he is slated to do some DC work in the future. Am I wrong in thinking he has the "it" factor?

1 hour ago, Blastaar said:

I don't as of yet. Just started looking into him after his Batman mash up covers. Outside DC and Marvel new artist tend to fall outside my peripheral. Sounds like he is slated to do some DC work in the future. Am I wrong in thinking he has the "it" factor?

My opinion, based only on the samples you've posted: more flash than substance. The characters are stiffly posed and/or feel dropped in, they are not interacting with their environment. No "it" factor.

22 hours ago, vodou said:

My opinion, based only on the samples you've posted: more flash than substance. The characters are stiffly posed and/or feel dropped in, they are not interacting with their environment. No "it" factor.

Throw in the derivative art style, and lack of personal vibrancy and that pretty much nails it. 

But, the guy does have good drafting skills. With time, he might become really good if he puts his heart into the work instead of just his skills.

Blastaar

Go with your gut instinct.  Thankfully, everyone has different tastes in art.

As the saying goes, buy what you like and what you can afford.  After all, it is your $.

All the best.

Slightly Off-Topic

Jason Fabok, another former Finch assistant / protege started off slow before getting steady work at DC and now has his own fan following.  Perhaps the same will apply to Johnny D in the future.

OT

Finch started off as an assistant / protege to Silvestri.

On 2/13/2019 at 9:04 PM, NelsonAI said:

Go with your gut instinct.  Thankfully, everyone has different tastes in art.

As the saying goes, buy what you like and what you can afford.  After all, it is your $.

Agreed. I personally am a big fan of Guillaume Marche and Arthur Ranson (specifically, his work on the graphic novel "Batman and the Phantom Stranger" [always on the lookout for more pages, by the way]).