• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PGM Astonishing Tales 25

10 posts in this topic

Welcome to the boards.

New collector?

IMO due to the discoloration, stress lines and corner blunting this book will grade a FN+ 6.5 - FN/VF 7.0.

(Better than FN 6.0 but by how much?)

7.0 FINE/VERY FINE (FN/VF):  Back to Top
An above-average copy that shows minor wear but is still relatively flat and clean with outstanding eye appeal. A small accumulation of minor bindery/printing defects is allowed. Minor cover wear beginning to show, possibly including minor creases. Corners may be blunted. Inks are generally bright with a moderate reduction in reflectivity. Stamped or inked arrival dates may be present. Minor foxing. The slightest spine roll may be present, as well as a possible moderate color break. Staples may show some discoloration. Slight staple tears and a small accumulation of light stress lines may be present. Slight rust migration. Paper is cream to tan. Centerfold is mostly secure. Minor interior tears at the margin may be present.

6.5 FINE+ (FN+):  Back to Top
Fits the criteria for Fine but with an additional virtue or small accumulation of virtues that improves the book's appearance by a perceptible amount.

6.0 FINE (FN):  Back to Top
An above-average copy that shows minor wear but is still relatively flat and clean with no significant creasing or other serious defects. Some accumulation of minor bindery/printing defects is allowed. Minor cover wear apparent, with minor to moderate creases. Inks show a significant reduction in reflectivity. Blunted corners are more common, as is minor staining, soiling, discoloration, and/or foxing. Stamped or inked arrival dates may be present. A minor spine roll is allowed. There can also be a 1/4" spine split or severe color break. Staples may show minor discoloration. Minor staple tears and a few slight stress lines may be present, as well as minor rust migration. Paper is tan to brown and fairly supple with no signs of brittleness. Minor interior tears at the margin may be present. Centerfold may be loose.

Thank you very much for your reviews.  I collected many years ago and just looking at them again now.  I'm a novice at this, so I have a question or two.  Is the discoloration the front corner and the back?  Also, is it worth it to do anything to this specific book, like slab it (I think I'm using that term correctly)?  Thanks again for looking at it.   

Yes the discoloration is the front upper right hand corner and perhaps the upper left hand corner, along with the area near the spine on the back cover.

As to slabbing it, that is entirely up to the individual. I personally like to have a graded value of around $100 or more to consider slabbing the book. Other collectors have different price points on this, so ultimately it's up to you. The Go collect site has this book valued at $110 in 8.0, and $70 for a 7.0 copy. 

Being a novice, I would recommend you do a lot of studying, specifically graded books of Astonishing Tales 25 for starters, and other books just to gain experience in being able to grade a book accurately. There are numerous examples on Ebay of this particular issue. You could also check out Comic Connect, Comic Link, and heritage, as you will find larger scans you can review on those sites. You might also consider buying a CGC graded copy instead of having your copy slabbed. There are also services out there that will press and clean a book to help it achieve a higher grade.