• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Modern day comics
2 2

56 posts in this topic

If only Lancashire Kitchens diversified and started their own comic book publishing company. 

It would signal the beginning of the end for Marvel and DC.

1 hour ago, kav said:

@oakman29 any idea how to make money on comics?

I figure it this way. Withdraw any kind of 401K you may have, sell the house(if you do own one of course), and start driving for Uber so you can double down on Jaydogs Del Otto variants. Especially the Amazing Spider Man ones. I would guess you already know to buy buy buy the ASM 361, good for you. Buy a bunch of those, certainly the supply will dwindle by the year 2525. Who will be laughing all the way to the bank by then? That's right YOU WILL!

I don't often do this, but I'm going to let you in on a little something. One of the best kept secrets about comics is this: if you open up the cover, there are actually stories...inside...that you can read! 

:D

Except for New Mutants #98. I wouldn't recommend trying to read that. It's just pages of poorly drawn people in anatomically impossible poses.

4 hours ago, oakman29 said:

I figure it this way. Withdraw any kind of 401K you may have, sell the house(if you do own one of course), and start driving for Uber so you can double down on Jaydogs Del Otto variants. Especially the Amazing Spider Man ones. I would guess you already know to buy buy buy the ASM 361, good for you. Buy a bunch of those, certainly the supply will dwindle by the year 2525. Who will be laughing all the way to the bank by then? That's right YOU WILL!

Sound advice 2c

It is SO simple, most people just won't believe how simple it is!

Go into any comic book store and you'll see bins and bins of books on sale for a dollar each. Every single comic book store in the country has boxes and boxes of books for a dollar each. This proves the fact that dollar books sell because nobody would continue to restock inventory at that price if they never sell.

I mean like, does Walmart have aisles and aisles of buggy whips and shoe horns? No, of course not. Why not? Answer: because nobody buys that.

Why do comic book stores have so many bins of $1 books? Obviously because that's what people buy!

So - heres what you do:

1. Buy a big comic book collection, the bigger the better, like 100 long boxes minimum, at an average cost of 20 cents per book. The bigger the collection the lower the price per book, that's the way it works.

2. Now take all the books that you bought for $0.20 each and sell them for a dollar each. 

3. Profit!!!

You're welcome. 

See ya' round the country club!

Edited by jcjames

24 minutes ago, jcjames said:

Go into any comic book store and you'll see bins and bins of books on sale for a dollar each. Every single comic book store in the country has boxes and boxes of books for a dollar each. This proves the fact that dollar books sell because nobody would continue to restock inventory at that price if they never sell.

I mean like, does Walmart have aisles and aisles of buggy whips and shoe horns? No, of course not. Why not? Answer: because nobody buys that.

Why do comic book stores have so many bins of $1 books? Obviously because that's what people buy!

So - heres what you do:

1. Buy a big comic book collection, the bigger the better, like 100 long boxes minimum, at an average cost of 20 cents per book. The bigger the collection the lower the price per book, that's the way it works.

2. Now take all the books that you bought for $0.20 each and sell them for a dollar each. 

3. Profit!!!

You're welcome. 

^^

3 hours ago, jcjames said:

So - heres what you do:

3. Profit!!!

You're welcome. 

Actually the comic fodder in those boxes would make you even more of a profit if you could sell to the U.K, for years we've struggled on U.K price variations (sorry Marwood). We are starved of good comics here, what I would give to look through these boxes and I'm sure I'm not alone. Okay we now have Ebay and such but how many searches would you have to do for just what's in one of these boxes. I've just posted on the Dell Karloff and tv horror thread about how it took me 48 years to read part two of a Superman story:bigsmile: basically because I never knew its number and of course I was never really looking, it must be some sort of record..   

5 hours ago, jcjames said:

So - heres what you do:

3. Profit!!!

You're welcome. 

Uh that sounds like a contradiction. Generally people would be sold out of things that sell.

5 hours ago, jcjames said:

So - heres what you do:

3. Profit!!!

You're welcome. 

I'll quote from this again because it's making me laugh. As a singular object money has no value unless it is spent  so standing alone it is worthless. No ody is going to frame a dollar bill, because nobody is going to stare at it above the mantle piece at the dinner table, but they would stare at a van gogh, because it has value far beyond the reaches of a superficial mind, that's why the only people who made money off of penny stocks were the stock brokers not the who bought the stocks. I would rather put an Albuquerque variant thanos thirteen on my mantle piece than any dollar comic you can think of, why? Because the artistic endeavor into producing that masterpiece stretches far beyond an issue of turok 27.

Adam Smith said it best, the true value if something is how much the buyer is willing to pay for it.

I once began the batman knights quest but quickly grew bored of it because it holds no long term value  and I quickly returned to buying comics of value on the ascension.

11 hours ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

I don't often do this, but I'm going to let you in on a little something. One of the best kept secrets about comics is this: if you open up the cover, there are actually stories...inside...that you can read! 

But you can only here that "shhhhccclicckkkk" sound of the cover be opened for the first time ONCE...,  on any given book.

1 minute ago, lizards2 said:

But you can only here that "shhhhccclicckkkk" sound of the cover be opened for the first time ONCE...,  on any given book.

Here here.

3 minutes ago, lizards2 said:

The "click" is the sound the cover makes as the last vertical line breaks contact with the first page.

:cloud9:

2 hours ago, tv horror said:

Actually the comic fodder in those boxes would make you even more of a profit if you could sell to the U.K, for years we've struggled on U.K price variations (sorry Marwood). We are starved of good comics here, what I would give to look through these boxes and I'm sure I'm not alone. Okay we now have Ebay and such but how many searches would you have to do for just what's in one of these boxes. I've just posted on the Dell Karloff and tv horror thread about how it took me 48 years to read part two of a Superman story:bigsmile: basically because I never knew its number and of course I was never really looking, it must be some sort of record..   

So, if I sailed over with, say, 600 long boxes...I could have starved Brits and Irishmen pawing all over them and handing me gobs of loot?

hm