• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Raw vs CGC
1 1

55 posts in this topic

How come dealers have decided to grade their own comics and sell them for the same price raw as an actually CGC comic graded by actual professionals? Take edge of the spider verse 2 for example an upgraded copy with an opinion asterisk next to it sells for the same price as a 9.6 or even s 9.8

Edited by Hollywood1892

2 hours ago, Hollywood1892 said:

How come dealers have decided to grade their own comics and sell them for the same price raw as an actually CGC comic graded by actual professionals? Take edge of the spider verse 2 for example an upgraded copy with an opinion asterisk next to it sells for the same price as a 9.6 or even s 9.8

I can decide to sell Youngblood #1 for $10,000-doesnt mean it's actually gonna sell. 

There is a store owner in Cincinnati who tried that a few years ago.  He used different color labels to denote condition, then encased the books in a comic skin-style case, shrink wrapped the case and slapped a silly price on it. For all intents and purposes, no collector with a halfway functioning brain thought these were legitimately graded books.  Some examples that I can remember.  X-Factor #6 for $400, X-Factor #24 for $250, and New Mutants #16 for $175.  Some of these books may have graded out to a 9.4 but most were not.  As Kav stated, just because something has a high price tag on it does not mean it will sell.  

There are people who will buy, and can sell, raw books for the same price as a slabbed copy "in the same grade"...even up to 9.8. 

I paid the "9.8 price" for a couple of books a few months ago, because they were all day long 9.8. I didn't need the slab to tell me that, but eventually, into the slab they will go, because most buyers do.

Raw is a gamble. CGC is a sure bet. 

I'd rather buy raw books for bargain prices than pay a huge price for something already graded. If something comes my way that's old and high grade I don't need a case and label to tell me exactly how high the grade is, I can confidently call it to within a grade or three and I'm ok with that.

It's a fun hobby afterall and I try not to take it too seriously. The difference in 9.6 and 9.8 prices for example is ridiculous to me. Give me the 9.6 ! But there are perfectionists out there to who it's 9.8 or nothing. CGC must be a sellers dream. How often do you see 'no returns on CGC books' it takes the guesswork out of the whole equation and it lets a book be sold for the absolute maximum price.

I'm looking to hit the jackpot, I'm not looking to pay a jackpot price for a jackpot book that's already graded and slabbed :D

11 minutes ago, Dan82 said:

Raw is a gamble. CGC is a sure bet. 

I'd rather buy raw books for bargain prices than pay a huge price for something already graded. If something comes my way that's old and high grade I don't need a case and label to tell me exactly how high the grade is, I can confidently call it to within a grade or three and I'm ok with that.

It's a fun hobby afterall and I try not to take it too seriously. The difference in 9.6 and 9.8 prices for example is ridiculous to me. Give me the 9.6 ! But there are perfectionists out there to who it's 9.8 or nothing. CGC must be a sellers dream. How often do you see 'no returns on CGC books' it takes the guesswork out of the whole equation and it lets a book be sold for the absolute maximum price.

I'm looking to hit the jackpot, I'm not looking to pay a jackpot price for a jackpot book that's already graded and slabbed :D

Not to take anything away from your comment (which I completely agree with), but I bet there are a lot of CGC graded comics that a buyer with a keen eye could crack out, resubmit (without pressing) and have an excellent chance of getting a higher grade.

Edited by Black_Adam

2 minutes ago, Black_Adam said:

Not to take away anything away from your comment (which I completely agree with), but I bet there are a lot of CGC graded comics that a buyer with a keen eye could crack out, resubmit (without pressing) and have an excellent chance of getting a higher grade.

Oh definitely! And I'm sure there's people who are doing it. The bump in price makes it very much a worthwhile endeavour. I've seen talk of loose periods in the grading standards and tight, not sure what truth is in it (trainee's perhaps) I wouldn't want to dip my toes in those waters anyway, because on the flip I've seen some fugly books with grades that look too high.

And I've seen this here which rings very true - buy the book, not the grade.

18 minutes ago, Hollywood1892 said:

I have a chance at 2 comics I'm looking at,now these prices are canadian,take in mind 500 for thanks 13 and 200 for spawn 1 both cgc 9.8.

Any opinion before my girlfriend throttles me?

Pull the trigger before it's too late. Just don't go pointin' no gun around :D

2 minutes ago, RockMyAmadeus said:
46 minutes ago, Hollywood1892 said:

I have a chance at 2 comics I'm looking at,now these prices are canadian,take in mind 500 for thanks 13 and 200 for spawn 1 both cgc 9.8.

um.

huh?

I'm sure that it is autocorrect, $500 canadian for thanos #13 and $200 canadian for spawn #1 both in 9.8..... ??? 

56 minutes ago, Hollywood1892 said:

I really think it is time that you start doing your own research. Continually asking us to evaluate prices for you is not our job.  Besides looking at Sold prices on E-Bay, there are a number of services available to price books for a nominal fee. 

1 hour ago, Hollywood1892 said:

Shouldn't CGC 9.8 Spawn #1 be about $140 Canadian?

2 minutes ago, Hollywood1892 said:
3 hours ago, Bomber-Bob said:

I really think it is time that you start doing your own research. Continually asking us to evaluate prices for you is not our job.  Besides looking at Sold prices on E-Bay, there are a number of services available to price books for a nominal fee. 

I thought this was a chat site where people exchange ideas,not a cop an attitude site where I shift my beer bottle glasses in the comfort of my oversized pc

lol

He's got a point, Bob.. ;)

Your jib. I like the way it's cut.