• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Raw vs CGC
1 1

55 posts in this topic

It all comes down to two things that are a constant in this and any other collectible hobby.

1)Are you in this for investment/profit or the fun of collecting?

2)Any collectible is only worth what a collector is willing to pay.

If a dealer wants to charge a certain/high price and nobody buys it then eventually the price will come down (except for eBay "Buy It Now" and "MCS Consignment Books".)

If a dealer has the price set high for an item (raw book in this case) and people buy the item was the price really too high?

Long before eBay I was always willing to pay a higher price for a book from an LCS or Local Con that I needed to complete a run and had been searching for with no luck.

4 hours ago, Callaway29 said:

Subjective opinions regarding like or dislike of a movie, yes...all opinions are equally valid...even if I strongly disagree with some. I’m not close-minded enough to think my opinion is fact in that context.

That's not opinion, That's preference. And you're absolutely correct, preference is totally unassailable. People like things because they like them, and they don't have to justify it to anyone. "I love Age of Apocalypse!" is preference, and "...it's a great movie!" ventures into opinion.

Hey, my 8 year old self loved The Poseidon Adventure (1972)...but that doesn't mean it wasn't a steaming pile of badly paced, badly directed, badly written, terribly acted (with Academy Aware winners, no less!) elephant dung. 

20 hours ago, Bomber-Bob said:

I really think it is time that you start doing your own research. Continually asking us to evaluate prices for you is not our job.  Besides looking at Sold prices on E-Bay, there are a number of services available to price books for a nominal fee. 

16 hours ago, Hollywood1892 said:

I thought this was a chat site where people exchange ideas,not a cop an attitude site where I shift my beer bottle glasses in the comfort of my oversized pc

:whatthe:

owned.jpg

1 hour ago, RockMyAmadeus said:
4 hours ago, chrisco37 said:

Poor NA.   Run off the boards because of his wacky theory.  

Just goes to show, there's a very thin line between genius and madness.

And drawing every character in painful stages of constipation...,. 

8 hours ago, chrisco37 said:
17 hours ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

Oh, you're not gonna like this...

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but that doesn't mean they're all just as valid.

There are people who are of the opinion that the earth was substantially smaller in the past, and that it has expanded to its current size, which contradicts current scientific understanding, No less than Neal Adams believes in this fairly well debunked theory.

http://nealadams.com/science-videos/

Is that opinion as valid, as, say, the opinion that CGC is the pre-eminent grading company in comics, or that strawberry ice cream is yummy on a hot summer day?

Poor NA.   Run off the boards because of his wacky theory.  

What's even more wacky is that there are 21 more videos and each one is $1.99 to view. 

Though, that's way more cheaper than getting him to sign a few comics. 

1 hour ago, letsgrumble said:

What's even more wacky is that there are 21 more videos and each one is $1.99 to view. 

Though, that's way more cheaper than getting him to sign a few comics. 

How much is Don Rosa charging?  He got run off too.  

On 2/15/2019 at 2:02 AM, Hollywood1892 said:

A geriatric professor x and a washed up wolverine who seemingly gets the better of his younger self, yeah totally awesome, oscar worthy! Or a film where it takes a group of mutants uniting itself to defeat one bent on world destruction, I must not have many brain cells to be trapped in an argument that has very little to do with what I was trying to say, what I was saying was the vast difference in value between xfactor 6 compared with NYX 3 both first appearance,both vastly different impacts on the marvel universe.

What? 

3 hours ago, dupont2005 said:

For any halfway desirable comic I’ve ever seen in a comic shop they’ve always been priced at least double fmv. Not surprised CGC nm is their new guide over Overstreet nm

It's frustrating to say the least, some of these dealers probably go on Ebay and see what other dealers are selling it and push the value a few bucks.

eBay dealers tend to be far more reasonable. Some try to push for higher prices but if they actually want to sell it they have to price it to sell. The shops will happily let a wall book sit there until it’s sun faded and yellow. I’ve seen 90’s gimmick books with 90’s gimmick prices with that sun damaged tint on them in shops on walls as recently as within the past 10 years or so. I don’t go to shops too often these days though