• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

STAPLE POSITION
1 1

4 posts in this topic

I just purchased a Universal Grade 8.5 comic w/white pages off ebay. It is an Amazing Spider-Man comic from 1968. The staples are not placed directly into the spine of the book, but rather are placed on the front of the book. For example, the top staple is placed where the first stroke of the "M" in MARVEL begins. Similarly, the second staple down from that is of equal distance indented from the spine onto the cover of the book. I've heard that staple placement varied in Marvel comics of the 1960s. I'm just needing to check and make certain that there is nothing to worry about here, and that this issue was not somehow altered.

Welcome To The Boards!!!

You should post pics, however it is probably in the category of "Printing Bindery" defects which is acceptable in Varying Amounts all the way up to a MT 9.9.

Bindery Defect - Defects associated with the binding process, including mistrimming, miswrapping, inaccurate stapling, etc. 

Along those lines...  This looks to me like a factory defect.  Picked this up at a convention recently.  It looks like the staples are off by a quarter inch and the cover was incorrectly cut.  Part of the old comic book code approval is missing.  How would this affect the grade of the comic book?  

IMG_2857.jpg