• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

comic book to help kids who struggle with math

6 posts in this topic

On 2/14/2019 at 5:04 PM, Cpt Kirk said:

Please check out the following link.  

This comic book was created by my wife to teach 5th grade students how to divide by fractions.  The comic book was tested by over 150 students here in Columbus GA and they loved it. I believe this comic book could make a difference in the lives of kids who struggle with math!  Consider sharing this link with any parents, teachers, or kids you know who struggle with math.

That's a great project however I'm sure you're aware of these? I wish you luck.(thumbsu

aed9f0c893e8127d06a5a6ee1203e1d0.jpg

images.jpg

51OPEaVpagL._SX258_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

9781407171654.jpg

510I1x4gRDL._SX258_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

5f81acb7-edec-4cca-82c3-531a7b01b44a_1.62a564e19db0a96c2e11393f2c42d33c.jpeg

download.jpg

2 minutes ago, Cpt Kirk said:

No, I was not.   Thanks for sharing!

You're most welcome and good luck with the project, I know how hard it can be to be overlooked at Maths. My problem was a knock on the head while I was a child by another one and now I really have to concentrate on numbers just to understand each one. The strange thing is I have a really good memory and can remember back to when I was two I'm now 60, but numbers NO WAY. It's like not being able to read or write so I can understand the problems children face.(thumbsu

54 minutes ago, tv horror said:

You're most welcome and good luck with the project, I know how hard it can be to be overlooked at Maths. My problem was a knock on the head while I was a child by another one and now I really have to concentrate on numbers just to understand each one. The strange thing is I have a really good memory and can remember back to when I was two I'm now 60, but numbers NO WAY. It's like not being able to read or write so I can understand the problems children face.(thumbsu

Thanks. It is great that someone created a fun Spiderman comic book to help out kids at an early age.  That's exactly why my wife created this comic book.  Many kids like math early on, but then struggle when it comes to harder concepts like dividing by fractions.  The old "flip and multiply" for dividing by fractions doesn't make intuitive sense to kids.  Here's a couple other things about my wife's comic book:

1.   She specifically avoided using a super hero in her comic book because she doesn't want the super-hero to solve the problem, but rather let the kids solve the problems themselves for a sense of empowerment.

2.   The teaching concepts in my wife's comic book are based on the latest research in math education.  Her PhD is in that field.  The latest research shows that teachers need to make it very clearly to kids that it is OK to make mistakes and struggle with the concepts (research shows that is how the brain learns).   When the teachers emphasize speed and correctness, it discourages a large percentage of the students.

3.  It appears as if the Spiderman comics above are more like workbooks and aimed at a younger age.   My wife's comic book aims at 5th graders.  Dividing by fractions is an advanced concept.  For example, why does 2 become 8 when you divide by 1/4?  Kids have to visualize that.  My wife developed a very clever story where the math is embedded in the story and shows the heroes of the story describing why you "flip and multiply".   The story is so intriguing that the test audience (150+ students) loved it and would not stop reading it.

If this seems worthwhile to you, I encourage you to be a backer on the kick-starter page.   Frankly, my wife will easily exceed her financial goal, but could really use more backers.   If you all could go onto the website and donate $1 to the cause so the number of backers go up, that would be great.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/cindyticknor/the-mysterious-ms-id-vide-in-newtons-nemesis?ref=ksr_email_user_watched_project_launched

Oh, and please share this posting with your friends.

Edited by Cpt Kirk