• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Cover Detached By CGC while grading?
1 1

50 posts in this topic

I tried to search around for this topic but did not find a thread. I just got the grades back on a book and this the 2nd or third time I have sent a book in with the cover attached yet when it comes back graded it is now detached. Obviously these were lower grade books.. but fairly pricey books where the grade is significant to the value and obviously the condition is now significantly downgraded. I know they have to handle the book to grade, but I handled both of the last 2 books this happened to (even had one pressed) and the covers stayed on. Has this happened to others? Do I have any recourse? Should they at least have notified me if this happened during handling?

Thanks

Jay

42 minutes ago, Unstoppablejayd said:

I tried to search around for this topic but did not find a thread. I just got the grades back on a book and this the 2nd or third time I have sent a book in with the cover attached yet when it comes back graded it is now detached. Obviously these were lower grade books.. but fairly pricey books where the grade is significant to the value and obviously the condition is now significantly downgraded. I know they have to handle the book to grade, but I handled both of the last 2 books this happened to (even had one pressed) and the covers stayed on. Has this happened to others? Do I have any recourse? Should they at least have notified me if this happened during handling?

Thanks

Jay

I think you need to give a little more background. Who pressed the book, CGC or someone else ? Who sent the book to CGC, you or the presser ? Do the grader's notes say the cover is detached ? These details may shed a light as to what happened. 

1 minute ago, Bomber-Bob said:

I think you need to give a little more background. Who pressed the book, CGC or someone else ? Who sent the book to CGC, you or the presser ? Do the grader's notes say the cover is detached ? These details may shed a light as to what happened. 

The 1st book was pressed by a well known presser not CGC and sent back to me then I submitted. I reviewed the book after the pressing. That was a couple months ago. Golden Age grader Notes and Label say detached.

The 2nd book which I just got the grades back was not pressed, I submitted the book. I even went back to the conversation when buying the book to double check the conversation and review the pics, I specifically asked if it was attached then and reviewed the book when it arrived packed it up and sent in to CGC myself with about a dozen other books. This was a Silver Age book. It is in the grader notes but I do not have the book in hand yet to see the label . 

Anytime I have something pressed other then at CCS I have it sent back to me and submit myself. 

2 minutes ago, Unstoppablejayd said:

The 1st book was pressed by a well known presser not CGC and sent back to me then I submitted. I reviewed the book after the pressing. That was a couple months ago. Golden Age grader Notes and Label say detached.

The 2nd book which I just got the grades back was not pressed, I submitted the book. I even went back to the conversation when buying the book to double check the conversation and review the pics, I specifically asked if it was attached then and reviewed the book when it arrived packed it up and sent in to CGC myself with about a dozen other books. This was a Silver Age book. It is in the grader notes but I do not have the book in hand yet to see the label . 

Anytime I have something pressed other then at CCS I have it sent back to me and submit myself. 

Thanks for the reply. First a side comment, depending on the condition, it is not always prudent to press an older GA book. The safest thing to do is to send it to CCS for a review. They will decide if 1) the book is safe to press and 2) whether the press will improve the grade. If you submit it for a review and the cover winds up detached, you do have recourse.  Now getting back to your situation, in both cases the detachment is mentioned in the notes. This indicates they received the book with the cover detached. This is obviously a 'gray area', it can't be verified where the detachment happened. I certainly agree you should bring this up with them but it may be difficult for them to accept the blame. I would be very interesting in seeing a pic of both books. 

2 minutes ago, Bomber-Bob said:

Thanks for the reply. First a side comment, depending on the condition, it is not always prudent to press an older GA book. The safest thing to do is to send it to CCS for a review. They will decide if 1) the book is safe to press and 2) whether the press will improve the grade. If you submit it for a review and the cover winds up detached, you do have recourse.  Now getting back to your situation, in both cases the detachment is mentioned in the notes. This indicates they received the book with the cover detached. This is obviously a 'gray area', it can't be verified where the detachment happened. I certainly agree you should bring this up with them but it may be difficult for them to accept the blame. I would be very interesting in seeing a pic of both books. 

Thank you for answering. I understand the risks involved, I also trust this presser very much- he has advised me on books not to press before and done some amazing work on some fragile books. I do also use CCS to press some stuff depending on what I am looking to get done. 

I do not have a pic of the GA in the case ( I could dig it out tommorrow and take) but I am sure I have before and after on pressing in my phone i can share as well as pics of the SA raw as it has not returned yet. Give me a moment and I will find the pictures. 

Just now, Unstoppablejayd said:

Thank you for answering. I understand the risks involved, I also trust this presser very much- he has advised me on books not to press before and done some amazing work on some fragile books. I do also use CCS to press some stuff depending on what I am looking to get done. 

I do not have a pic of the GA in the case ( I could dig it out tommorrow and take) but I am sure I have before and after on pressing in my phone i can share as well as pics of the SA raw as it has not returned yet. Give me a moment and I will find the pictures. 

BTW, you originally asked if this has happened to others. Yes, it has happened but not often.  I've only seen it mentioned on the Boards a couple times. Please recognize this sucks and I do feel bad for you. I'm just not sure they will offer any kind of compensation. I do think you should at least bring it up to them. 

4 minutes ago, Bomber-Bob said:

BTW, you originally asked if this has happened to others. Yes, it has happened but not often.  I've only seen it mentioned on the Boards a couple times. Please recognize this sucks and I do feel bad for you. I'm just not sure they will offer any kind of compensation. I do think you should at least bring it up to them. 

I guess I can.. just pretty bummed because now it has happened twice. 

Cool books. Not sure but the bottom staple of the Sgt Fury looks to have a small piece of tape, noticable on the Back Cover. IN both cases was the cover completely detached or was it just one of the staples ? If so, which one ? 

2 minutes ago, Bomber-Bob said:

Cool books. Not sure but the bottom staple of the Sgt Fury looks to have a small piece of tape, noticable on the Back Cover. IN both cases was the cover completely detached or was it just one of the staples ? If so, which one ? 

Thank You.

Notes on the MMC - say top of cover detached and bottom of cover detached.

Notes on Fury just say cover detached no specifics on either staple 

3 minutes ago, Unstoppablejayd said:

Thank You.

Notes on the MMC - say top of cover detached and bottom of cover detached.

Notes on Fury just say cover detached no specifics on either staple 

Well, this seems to indicate the whole cover was detached on both. Clearly your pictures look like both staples were attached on the MMS and at least the top staple on the Fury. Wow, this seems to indicate there was some trauma to the books. 

Edited by Bomber-Bob

1 minute ago, Bomber-Bob said:

Well, this seems to indicate the whole cover was detached on both. Clearly your pictures look like both staples were attached on the MMS and at least the top staple on the Fury. Wow, this seems to indicate there was some trauma to the books. 

Thanks for affirming I am not crazy!! Should I send them the pics on both? WHo should I contact?

Just now, Bomber-Bob said:

Sorry to ask so many questions but were both books packed in a large enough bag and Board. I'm thinking the books may have been too snug in the bag and board and detached while receiving removed the books.

Ask away. No they were both in appropriate bags and boards. I always go one size above what the bag is labeled. I like an easy in and out with my bags and boards. 

Just now, Unstoppablejayd said:

Ask away. No they were both in appropriate bags and boards. I always go one size above what the bag is labeled. I like an easy in and out with my bags and boards. 

Okay, when you contact CGC, mention the fact that you have pictures and you used oversized bags and boards and this has happened twice. I would call tomorrow, they are much better at answering the phone than answering E-Mail. They will probably have you send pictures to them but call first. Good luck. It's possible they can oblige you with some store credit. (shrug) Just something to show good faith. 

Just now, Bomber-Bob said:

Okay, when you contact CGC, mention the fact that you have pictures and you used oversized bags and boards and this has happened twice. I would call tomorrow, they are much better at answering the phone than answering E-Mail. They will probably have you send pictures to them but call first. Good luck. It's possible they can oblige you with some store credit. (shrug) Just something to show good faith. 

Thanks Bob- I am starting to lose a bit of faith in the program here so making me somewhat whole will help...

I wonder what they would have graded with there covers attached....

1 minute ago, Unstoppablejayd said:

Thanks Bob- I am starting to lose a bit of faith in the program here so making me somewhat whole will help...

I wonder what they would have graded with there covers attached....

It does seem odd that this has happened to you twice. I would have hoped that if Receiving had an 'accident' they would have contacted you. I suspect the graders were not notified of any 'accident' and the books were detached when graded. UNfortunately, I don't think they take a picture of the book when received. Call tomorrow and let us know what they advise. Again, good luck !

5 hours ago, Bomber-Bob said:

It does seem odd that this has happened to you twice. I would have hoped that if Receiving had an 'accident' they would have contacted you. I suspect the graders were not notified of any 'accident' and the books were detached when graded. UNfortunately, I don't think they take a picture of the book when received. Call tomorrow and let us know what they advise. Again, good luck !

You're correct Bob---they don't take a picture of the books when they're received. If it were me, I'd try to get through to Harshen Patel and plead my case. One thing I did notice is that both books appear to be pretty fragile, especially the spines. In my view, this would certainly increase the likelihood of something like this happening, either in shipping or when the books made their way through the CGC system. Your best bet is to talk to Harshen and see if anything can be done about it. Good luck...  :wishluck:

Just out of curiosity, what was CGC's grade on the SF #1?  The back cover has a large chunk out at the bottom-right corner, a second smaller-but-still-significant piece out just above mid-spine, several long tears, obvious damage to at least the last interior leaf (at the base of the spine), and a ton of general wear.  Even with an attached cover, I'd be hard-pressed to advertise it as anything better than a 1.5 FR/GD.