• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Cover Detached By CGC while grading?
1 1

50 posts in this topic

20 minutes ago, BradleyX2 said:

The label text on the MMC #17 state that the cover is re-attached with tape.

In that case, my non-professional assessment of your MMC #17 would be something less than 2.0 GD -- let's call it a 1.5 FR/GD to 1.8 GD- (or even less, if there is significant, undisclosed interior damage).  Just out of curiosity, what was CGC's grade?

Edited by zzutak

2 hours ago, The Lions Den said:

I'd try to get through to Harshen Patel

Thanks-who is this?

35 minutes ago, BradleyX2 said:

So, the cover *is* attached to the book, just not by the staples as it was when it was manufactured.

Yes who ever owned this book originally tape up the whole inside reinforcing it.

35 minutes ago, zzutak said:

Just out of curiosity, what was CGC's grade on the SF #1?  The back cover has a large chunk out at the bottom-right corner, a second smaller-but-still-significant piece out just above mid-spine, several long tears, obvious damage to at least the last interior leaf (at the base of the spine), and a ton of general wear.  Even with an attached cover, I'd be hard-pressed to advertise it as anything better than a 1.5 FR/GD.

I expected a 1.5/1.8 it came in at a 1.0

9 hours ago, Bomber-Bob said:

Now getting back to your situation, in both cases the detachment is mentioned in the notes. This indicates they received the book with the cover detached.

I'm not following this logic. 

1 hour ago, zzutak said:

Just out of curiosity, what was CGC's grade on the SF #1?  The back cover has a large chunk out at the bottom-right corner, a second smaller-but-still-significant piece out just above mid-spine, several long tears, obvious damage to at least the last interior leaf (at the base of the spine), and a ton of general wear.  Even with an attached cover, I'd be hard-pressed to advertise it as anything better than a 1.5 FR/GD.

I was reading this entire thread and before I even got to your response I was thinking the exact same thing...

(Get Out Of My Head)  o.O    O.o

With or Without the detached cover FR/GD 1.5 was my assessment.

IMO that book(Sgt. Fury 1) with an attached cover would still not qualify for a GD- 1.8 or GD 2.0.

Either way, they are both Nice Books.  (thumbsu

1 hour ago, Unstoppablejayd said:

Just an FYI these books are for my collection... the main reason I CGC fragile books like this is for protection and preservation, if they are going to be further damaged doing it the purpose is defeated. 

Just saw this...

I do not have my books graded, however...

From what I have read here on the site, encasing in a slab does not provide any better/more protection than storing in a Mylite with the Proper Board.

The way to prevent any book from damage is the same regardless...

Proper storage in a Mylite/Acid Free Board, Away from ALL Light and Heat Sources, In a Controlled Environment and Do Not Handle the Book at All.

The only thing slabbing helps with is the latter, it will not Allow you to physically handle the books themselves.

The last time Any of my books were removed from their boxes/mylites was 5 years ago when I re-graded and photographed all 3600.

(And BTW...I F&%$ed up my D.D. 131 by getting it caught on tape residue. :facepalm:    doh!, so none of us is Perfect, including the People that work at CGC)

7 minutes ago, marvelmaniac said:

Just saw this...

I do not have my books graded, however...

From what I have read here on the site, encasing in a slab does not provide any better/more protection than storing in a Mylite with the Proper Board.

The way to prevent any book from damage is the same regardless...

Proper storage in a Mylite/Acid Free Board, Away from ALL Light and Heat Sources, In a Controlled Environment and Do Not Handle the Book at All.

The only thing slabbing helps with is the latter, it will not Allow you to physically handle the books themselves.

The last time Any of my books were removed from their boxes/mylites was 5 years ago when I re-graded and photographed all 3600.

(And BTW...I F&%$ed up my D.D. 131 by getting it caught on tape residue. :facepalm:    doh!, so none of us is Perfect, including the People that work at CGC)

Thank you... I understand this (I have been collecting most of my life 30+ years) - In my opinion encasing them eliminates any human error (like your tape mis-hap) as well as adding a significant barrier to any bumps from impacts.

5 minutes ago, Unstoppablejayd said:

Thank you... I understand this (I have been collecting most of my life 30+ years) - In my opinion encasing them eliminates any human error (like your tape mis-hap) as well as adding a significant barrier to any bumps from impacts.

Google "Shaken Comic Syndrome".

Either way, I would never tell you how or what to collect, that is all individual preference, just enjoy doing it!!!

Just now, marvelmaniac said:

Google "Shaken Comic Syndrome".

Either way, I would never tell you how or what to collect, that is all individual preference, just enjoy doing it!!!

All of this is a moot point... I have submitted over 250 books this last year from my PC at a significant cost- I should be able to assume they will be handled and cared for at least as well as I do and returned in the same shape... or no?

Not sure how relevant this is to your last statement but I will put it out there.

I was an ASE Certified Automotive Service Technician for 33 years and I expect quality work from myself because I am Anal with OCD, which makes me a perfectionist and extremely meticulous, however...

Employers do not always appreciate that, they want it in and out which means shortcuts.

Other than my Son I have never had anyone else work on my cars because I know they would not do the job the way I would.

I have very little faith in people, do you expect a person that is performing a "job" with little to no vested interest in the job they are doing other than to keep their job to handle your items as you would???

I am sure they are as careful as possible but if something happens it will probaly fall into the "OOPS" category and they move on.

57 minutes ago, Unstoppablejayd said:

I just got off the phone with CGC - not much help. They will not do anything until I have the book in hand (it is in the mail) so I have to wait until I receive it and then cal back in and start from scratch.... 

I'm sorry---I forgot to mention that Harshen is the Operations Manager at CGC. He's the guy you need to talk to once you have the books in hand. If anyone can help you, it's him...  :wishluck: 

4 hours ago, BradleyX2 said:

So, the cover *is* attached to the book, just not by the staples as it was when it was manufactured.

Hi Bradley- thanks for noting, but in the notes it states detached at both staples... was this considered as a downgrade to grade?

4 hours ago, BlowUpTheMoon said:

I'm not following this logic. 

What I was trying to say is that the graders received the books with cover detached. It was not something that happened after grading, not with encapsulation, not with shipping back to the owner. 

33 minutes ago, Unstoppablejayd said:

Hi Bradley- thanks for noting, but in the notes it states detached at both staples... was this considered as a downgrade to grade?

If the cover is attached via tape, CGC grades the book as detached. A number of years ago, a cover could be attached with tape and not regarded as detached. The community argued against this approach so CGC changed their policy. I believe it's the correct policy. 

14 hours ago, Unstoppablejayd said:

The 1st book was pressed by a well known presser not CGC and sent back to me then I submitted. I reviewed the book after the pressing. That was a couple months ago. Golden Age grader Notes and Label say detached.

Acknowledging the reply from Bradley at CGC here, it appears the GA book was detached but held together by tape. In hindsight, I don't think a press would have improved the grade. I would like to repeat that I think it is better to submit a fragile GA book to CCS for a review and let them decide if the book can be improved with a press. 

Bob is right---I would have CCS evaluate them first. As a general rule, books with fragile spines aren't good pressing candidates. I can appreciate your desire to preserve these wonderful books, but we must be careful in our quest. Sometimes the process of preservation itself causes further damage...