• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Cover Detached By CGC while grading?
1 1

50 posts in this topic

50 minutes ago, The Lions Den said:

Bob is right---I would have CCS evaluate them first. As a general rule, books with fragile spines aren't good pressing candidates. I can appreciate your desire to preserve these wonderful books, but we must be careful in our quest. Sometimes the process of preservation itself causes further damage...

Hindsight is great.. but what does any of this have to do with it was attached after the press then went to cgc and came back not attached? Also the Fury was not pressed

1 minute ago, Unstoppablejayd said:

Hindsight is great.. but what does any of this have to do with it was attached after the press then went to cgc and came back not attached? Also the Fury was not pressed

I do feel very sorry about your situation, but the harsh reality is that these things happen. The best strategy I've found is to select books that are good candidates and then hope that everyone else involved in the process does their job properly. But as a friend of mine says: "No warranties expressed or implied..."  

Probably a very common occurrence.   Am interested in knowing what tier of submission you used?  Often wondered if economy submissions are handled differently than a high value walk through?  The “good” news in your case I really don’t see either books grade being impacted much, if any, by a detached cover. Especially true of the Sgt. Fury. Kudos to Bomber-Bob for his insights. 

3 hours ago, Unstoppablejayd said:

I think there is some confusion on your part, possibly I am the one that is confused but here is what I think is going on. According to Bradley, a very reliable CGC grader, the label text on the MMC #17 state that the cover is re-attached with tape. So, the cover *is* attached to the book, just not by the staples as it was when it was manufactured. The book came back to you, still attached, but attached by tape. CGC considers this situation to be a detached cover.   

35 minutes ago, Bomber-Bob said:

I think there is some confusion on your part, possibly I am the one that is confused but here is what I think is going on. According to Bradley, a very reliable CGC grader, the label text on the MMC #17 state that the cover is re-attached with tape. So, the cover *is* attached to the book, just not by the staples as it was when it was manufactured. The book came back to you, still attached, but attached by tape. CGC considers this situation to be a detached cover.   

It was attached by the staple when it went. An owner along the line taped the interior edges and spine preemptively - even with no tears etc. so there is tape now securing but it is off the staples.

9 hours ago, Tony S said:

I don't believe anyone else has mentioned this....

Fragile books can get damaged during grading and/or  encapsulation. For books with weak spines and staples just barely hanging on, perhaps the most risky grading step is the restoration check. It's impossible to check for restoration without completely, fully opening the book and page by page examining closely the interior paper at the staples and spine, where glue, tape or repair papers are likely to be employed. There is no way to do the restoration check, the page count and grading without some stress on the comic. If the comic is fragile....well.... paper can split, pieces fall off, staples pull thru. 

No enthusiast wants to hear about books being damaged in a process that we hope helps protect them. But every book does have to go through the entire process and fragile ones might get damaged. 

I couldn't have said it better myself...

23 hours ago, Mystafo said:

:( man that's an awful diagnosis...hope you feel better soon.

:gossip:

My Grandfather was the same way and unfortunately my Son is also the same way.

I have been this was as long as I can remember (I am 63), the Zoloft barley keeps me on level ground.

Ha, was trying to make a little funny but I honetly believe I'm a tad OCD, myself....I seem to be obsessed with money owed and never being late on bills or paying late fees or penalties.  Never was too much on neat-freak type organization other than what that entails...wild turkey seems to help a bit, lol.