• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Are Offset Staples Normal?
1 1

4 posts in this topic

21 minutes ago, AwesomeSauce said:

I'm a new collector. Recently, I purchased a graded comic. The comic is from 1968. Its staples are offset. They are actually located on the cover, about a millimeter or two inward from the spine. Is this normal, or a sign of tampering?

It's a product of manufacturing and is pretty common.  Personally, I prefer the look of a comic cover that is well registered front-to-back and has the staples right on the spine itself, and am willing to pay more for such copies.

Typically, a copy with offset staples will be more inclined to exhibit tears and/or wear at the staples due to more stress being placed on them whenever the book is opened. It's a fairly common occurrence for books from that era, but in my view makes the book slightly less desirable than a copy with the correct staple placement...