• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Found something kind of cool on my Four Favorites #8

7 posts in this topic

So I am going through my boxes trying to slowly pare down the collection and add items to Ebay.  I have an extremely low grade copy of Four Favorites #8 - complete but spine completely split and all pages detached and brittle pages but as I was taking pictures I noticed the signature (actually think it is a stamp) of Louis Ferstadt who was the artist and I didn't realize until I googled him was also a painter and muralist.  I do wonder if this could have been his personal copy since it appears to be a stamped signature.  

And not trying to pump my Ebay listing because now I probably won't list it

Anyway, I just thought it was kind of cool and intriguing.  Here are some pics - Look in the number 4 below the word Favorites.20190215_102630.thumb.jpg.dd27c88f4fd5b853795751abaf626614.jpg

20190215_102607.thumb.jpg.b962378b55030a2a47f036ab8d567343.jpg

Edited by telerites

That's really cool!

I don't think it looks like a stamp to me though, looks like he just printed his name on it.  I see what you mean about the ink surrounding the signature, which could indicate a stamp, but I still think it just looks like someone hand penned it.  

Are there any impressions or dimples inside the cover from the pen (if it's a pen)?

2 hours ago, entalmighty1 said:

That's really cool!

I don't think it looks like a stamp to me though, looks like he just printed his name on it.  I see what you mean about the ink surrounding the signature, which could indicate a stamp, but I still think it just looks like someone hand penned it.  

Are there any impressions or dimples inside the cover from the pen (if it's a pen)?

It's hard to see so I will try and take a closer pic but you can maybe make out the outline of the rectangular stamp and the ink smear from when you use a stamp but now that I look my closely at the letters, they do seem to be freehand.  Would be cool if in his own hand and it is actually his sig.

403231660_ff8sigcloseup.thumb.jpg.f5270bef8d5b54ac69f782ce98714318.jpg

3 hours ago, sagii said:

:applause:Cool discovery!

Probably worth holding onto with that little tidbit. And it's rare as hens teeth , which i'm sure you know.

(Probably doesn't hurt to own copies either :baiting: )

lol I still aspire to have the rarity of books you have, Corey.  You know it fun as I go through these boxes which I haven't opened in years, actually decades,  I forget what I have and this one is rough and crumbly but it is a neat discovery.   Two copies would be great or even more :x but anymore, these books are sky high and I am fond of my internal organs which I would have to sell to grab some of these,  I am saving one of kidneys for a Cap 1 so one organ is already spoken for :cry:

22 minutes ago, telerites said:

... these books are sky high and I am fond of my internal organs which I would have to sell to grab some of these,  I am saving one of kidneys for a Cap 1 so one organ is already spoken for :cry:

:signfunny:

I have always thought which of the organ worthy mega keys still appeal in a way that if all the stars were aligned, i'd sacrifice for. It'd be Whiz #1(#2).

But i'd be sitting next to long boxes like....

organ.jpg

Reading through his wikipedia page, Ferstadt died in 1954 so if he did sign it or even stamp, it goes back a ways.  Also, he identified as a communist.  A Jewish American who was born in Russia.  From a wiki image, working on a mural.   His collection of art lie in the New York Public Library, Whitney Museum of American Art, the Tel Aviv Museum and the Jewish museum of Birobidzhan.  

800px-Archives_of_American_Art_-_Louis_F