• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What's the story behind "Uncanny" X-Men?

11 posts in this topic

So, does anyone know the story behind the addition of "Uncanny" in the title of the X-Men, starting with issue #114 on the cover, and codified in the indicia in #142?

s-l1600.jpg

Is it mentioned in a lettercol somewhere that I missed?

As far as I can tell, this was the first time an adjective was added to a title that was then incorporated into the official title of the book.

For example....Iron Man was "The Invincible Iron Man" on the cover from #1 until (I believe) #127, but "Invincible" was never part of the indicia.

Anyone with any info on this...?

2 hours ago, bababooey said:

Just speculation on my part but I believe the Cockrum ad that declared "Like the old X-Men?  You'll love the new X-Men, still uncanny after all these years" came out around the time the title went monthly (issue 111 ?) and someone probably figured using "all new all different" for more than 3 years was not wise. 

4782546612_d46309e163.jpg

After posting this I took a few minutes to flip through some issues from this era and I haven't found an example where the above ad pre-dates the cover title change noted in the OP (cover date prior to July 1978) I know the art was done in '76 from CAF.  Letters page in 118 said bupkis.

16 hours ago, bababooey said:
18 hours ago, bababooey said:

Just speculation on my part but I believe the Cockrum ad that declared "Like the old X-Men?  You'll love the new X-Men, still uncanny after all these years" came out around the time the title went monthly (issue 111 ?) and someone probably figured using "all new all different" for more than 3 years was not wise. 

4782546612_d46309e163.jpg

After posting this I took a few minutes to flip through some issues from this era and I haven't found an example where the above ad pre-dates the cover title change noted in the OP (cover date prior to July 1978) I know the art was done in '76 from CAF.  Letters page in 118 said bupkis.

They must have re-purposed it, since the book wasn't on sale monthly in '76, and Claremont, Byrne, and Austin didn't become the art team until late '77...meaning this ad, wherever it appeared, had to have done so around or after the publication of #112, when it went monthly.

Edited by RockMyAmadeus

From Chris Claremont:
 I believe the decision come from either Stan or Archie (@ Editor-in-Chief?) or both, and was simply returning the book title to the original name. But @ usual, I could be wrong; it was a while ago.

Kav:

Can you elaborate a bit? They were never called uncanny until #114 not sure what you mean by returning title to original name thx for replying-board members appreciate it.

Chris:

I’m afraid then, Kav, you have me at a loss. Changing a title is a decision that comes down from Company-Corporate, way above creators’ pay-grade, even back in those relatively halcyon days. Sorry.

Edited by kav

I think it was just a logical continuation of many of the Marvel titles using a colorful adjective and the X-Men was one of the few titles that didn't have it. (Maybe they considered the "X" the colorful adjective for awhile, but decided the title needed a little more punch.)

FANTASTIC Four, AMAZING Spider-Man, INVINCIBLE Iron Man, INCREDIBLE Hulk, MIGHTY Thor, MIGHTY Avengers (#62-69), then EARTH'S MIGHTIEST HEROES (#103+) and ASTONISHING Ant-Man. They got a little more off-beat with HERE COMES Daredevil the MAN WITHOUT FEAR, PRINCE NAMOR, the Sub-Mariner, but later changed that to the SAVAGE Sub-Mariner. Of note, two that were lacking a colorful adjective were Captain America and Captain Marvel. If you want to count it, I think Captain Marvel had a few different headers on and off through the run: MARVEL'S SPACE-BORN SUPER-HERO, THE SENSATIONAL NEW, THE MOST COSMIC SUPERHERO OF ALL, then back to MARVEL'S SPACEBORN SUPERHERO.