• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Do you know everything comics related? What are the chances you know this advertisement? It would be an ENORMOUS help!

12 posts in this topic

First time poster! Totally new and figured this may be where I may find an answer. 

My dad read a comic in the early to mid 70's(title completely unknown, I know I'm not giving you a lot of info, but this is all I have to go on). There was an advertisement with an image similar to the attached image that I attempted to recreate. the wording went something like this "Ha Ha, look at Tommy's stupid drawing". My dad cannot remember the title of the comic or what the ad was even for. The image described was adopted by my father and his high school friends and used throughout the years(such comedians) and though he won't admit it, its sentimental. I would like to create a gift for him and his high school friend, though I am unable to find the original advertisement.  So I am reaching out to those who may have come across this particular ad through the years. Thank you for any help in advance.

image1.jpeg

@ShellStew

DC comics had regular public service announcements in their comics in the 1960's.  It was a one-page cartoon usually featuring Superman correcting bad behaviors and attitudes of children.
One of these had a boy making fun of another boy's drawing (just like the one you pictured) and then Superman (or Superboy?) flies down and corrects the kid. 
I remember another one that had a checklist of sorts;  it was about prejudice - whether you (the reader) liked or disliked a range of subjects, from spiders to black people.  The lesson being, it's okay to dislike spiders as a group, but people, not so much.
There was another one on littering, as I recall.

You can find the page in question in mid 1960 DC comics.

Edited by Unca Ben

If you can make the time, it would be very much appreciated! That sounds like it would fit the description I got from my dad and why he didn’t know what was being advertised, because it was a PSA. I wanted to create custom gifts for him and his high school friend for Father’s Day, so by all means there’s no rush and take your time. I really appreciate your help! 

I know exactly the PSA you're talking about. I used to have a scan of it, because when I saw it for the first time it, that goofy drawing of Timmy's was so hilarious I had to share it with people. Unfortunately, it seems photobucket ate my scan, but I will also try to find a copy of it tonight if I have the time. 

@ShellStew

Found it (online, without going through boxes).  The original art is on Heritage: https://comics.ha.com/itm/memorabilia/miscellaneous/dc-psa-ad-by-sheldon-moldoff-complete-1-page-story-the-invisible-handicap-proof-dc-1966-/a/121907-14073.s

the PSA can be found in Superman 184, Metal Men 18, World's Finest 155, Atom 23, Wonder woman 160, and Hawkman 12.  Probably other issues, too.   This is what you're looking for, right?

lf.jpg.fe48d41b60805f80143eb05e7aee866e.jpg

Edited by Unca Ben

57 minutes ago, Rosland said:

Unca Ben,

No idea how you knew which issue the ad was in, but you're right! I dug out Atom 23, and there it was...

I started looking in the Grand Comics Database, starting with the Superman issues I bought as a kid and found it in ish 184.  Once I thought I knew the title, "The Invisible Handicap", I googled the title + DC PSA and then all the different GCD entries showed up along with the Heritage auction.  :D

Edited by Unca Ben