• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Greatest supervillain of all time any universe
3 3

131 posts in this topic

3 minutes ago, Tony S said:

To each their own....Batman has an incredible rogues gallery and Rhas is one of them. All those great villains are what makes Batman so great, popular and enduring. 
But the Joker wasn't "another one in a long line" He was the first. 

Well the original joker in the GA wasnt crazy-he just laffed a lot.  It was later when CRAZY became a thing he was depicted as actually crazy.  Even in the SA stories he didnt act 'crazy'.  He methodically planned and reasoned in a cogent manner.

Karl suggests another standard. What super villain is best known to the public? Most recognized? 
I propose no one comes close to the Joker on the standard of "most recognized" 

Edited by Tony S

2 minutes ago, Tony S said:

Karl suggests another standard. What super villain is best known to the public? Most recognized? 
I propose no one comes close to the Joker on the standard of "most recognized" 

Definitely.  Not even Luthor or Octo-Doctopus approaches him.  

You have to admit from that silver age of comics the Adam West Batman TV shows were by far the best, hmmm I remember superman too, both great, but Marvel had a lot of catch up to do.  The Hulk was ok too but I remember even as a kid that the spiderman cartoon was pretty bad with a lot of repeated graphics and overall cheapness.  Everybody just knows the Batman villains...

9 minutes ago, NelsonAI said:

Ben Affleck.  He single-handedly killed Batman and the Justice League.  

:sick:

nope Jessie Eisenberg.  destroyed everything.

The end.

Hmmmmm I would lean towards the Joker ....... but picking someone else it would be Magneto

top 5 villains would likely be Joker, Magneto, Doom, Darkseid, and his knockoff in Thanos :) maybe throw in Luthor as well as he is the main enemy of the most popular superhero ......

5 hours ago, Tony S said:

To each their own....Batman has an incredible rogues gallery and Rhas is one of them. All those great villains are what makes Batman so great, popular and enduring. 
But the Joker wasn't "another one in a long line" He was the first. 

Half of Batman's rogues gallery are crazies with knives.  Bores me to tears.  One bop on the nose, and they're done.  You cant put them against most other heroes because they're not a credible threat.

Joker is just a tool DC uses to sell books.  Two-Face could've been the villain of Killing Joke or Death In The Family, and the story would've worked just fine.  He's been positioned as the big bad for the Hulk Hogan of comics, and people just eat it up.  Gentleman Ghost consistently gives Batman a harder time than Joker, but a lot of people arent actually reading these books, just collecting "Joker appearances" because $.

Dr Doom is the greatest supervillain of all time.  He has a rich backstory and character development that makes him an interesting character on his own, he isnt defined or limited by his heroic counterpart.  He has a variety of powers and motivations that allow you to write him into any story and be both a realistic participant, and a serious threat.  There's genuine tension when Doom appears, and you dont just catch him and send him back to jail to be recycled in a year's time.

6 hours ago, kav said:

He's a one dimensional cardboard character.  Why is he crazy?  What kind of crazy?  What's the DSM on him?  What is his motivation?  None of that is addressed he's just another one in a long list of bad guys that's just crazy and evil.  Boring.  The part of Batman he defines I find incredibly boring.  Not a single batman/joker story interested me in the slightest.  Rhas al Ghul now thats an interesting character.  

You know too much about crazy kava, did you really bring out DSM. So you think the joker has an anti social personality disorder, maybe PTSD from the wounds in his face. To Bruce Wayne the killing of his parents seemed crazy and unpredictable, so his pain is what manifested the joker, bane should be in the pantheon of great supervillains,actually dark knight rises was better than dark knight, in my opinion.

Darth Vader cant be in there  he had a change of heart,same with venom,magneto,dr doom, in some way they were conflicted villains, even apocalypse in the movie.Bane was intelligent and multi dimensional.Thano is an intergalactic warlord,also conflicted, but maybe that's what makes a great supervillain, when you are faced with a defining choice

8 hours ago, kav said:

Well the original joker in the GA wasnt crazy-he just laffed a lot.  It was later when CRAZY became a thing he was depicted as actually crazy.  Even in the SA stories he didnt act 'crazy'.  He methodically planned and reasoned in a cogent manner.

Batman 251, 1973, was the significant turning point in his characterisation; from clown to psychopath.

Edited by Ken Aldred

8 hours ago, kav said:

I've dealt with actual CRAZY people-they arent capable of accomplishing much.  Sure they can go out in a frenzy burst of killin but years of super villaining?  Nope.

Perhaps not if they're extremely psychotic, but there are too many occupationally-successful individuals with Antisocial Behaviour Disorder and tolerated indicators of narcissism or psychopathy who can function and persistently abuse over the long term.

Edited by Ken Aldred

19 minutes ago, telerites said:

Rob Liefeld

From the 90s speculator boom-and-crash period, I'd put Ron Perelman far, far above any actual comic book creator.

Edited by Ken Aldred

58 minutes ago, Ken Aldred said:

Perhaps not if they're extremely psychotic, but there are too many occupationally-successful individuals with Antisocial Behaviour Disorder and tolerated indicators of narcissism or psychopathy who can function and persistently abuse over the long term.

I didn't realise there was so many psychologists who collect comics.lol

9 hours ago, kav said:

Another factor is he's the most liked villain.  I dont like him but I cannot deny most do.  

I never really liked the Joker until I read Frank Miller's version of him in The Dark Knight Returns.

There in that story lies my favorite version of the Joker: obsessed with pushing Batman beyond his own boundaries.

1 hour ago, Hollywood1892 said:

I didn't realise there was so many psychologists who collect comics.lol

Probably only amateur ones like me.  :smile: