• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Cosmic Aeroplane Pedigree Thread
3 3

130 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, Robot Man said:

Great photo! Never saw that one before. If memory serves me, wasn’t this the first collection to be given a name and designated by collectors as a “pedigree”? 

No, it was the 2nd collection to be called a pedigree...according to the Pedigree website:

COSMIC AEROPLANE
The second earliest collection recognized as a pedigree, Cosmic Aeroplanes are famous for their distinct markings. Discovered in Salt Lake City, Utah in 1972, the collection was raided by a few collectors before being sold to David Faggiola, owner of the Cosmic Aeroplane Bookstore (hence the name). The books were subsequently and anonymously liquidated into the market.

The collection was amassed by an art teacher during the ’40s and ‘50s to be used for demonstrative purposes for students. This is evident by the numerous checkmarks and notations written in pencil on the margins of each page, or on the cover. Because the collection had been assimilated long before the pedigree concept took hold, there are many unidentified in the market. Collectors enjoy the rush of discovering "lost" copies from the collection, an emotion similarly experienced by fans of the San Francisco, Okajima and Recil Macon pedigrees.

There is no way of knowing the true size of the Cosmic Aeroplane collection, but it's rumored to be somewhere between 2,000 and 3,000. It yielded some big key issues like Adventure #40, Flash #1, and the Showcase #4 pictured on the cover of the 1992 Overstreet Grading Guide. The average grade of the collection is a bit lower than that of its fellow pedigrees, but the rumored size, presence of big keys, and easy identification has allowed the collection's legacy to prevail over the years.

12 minutes ago, Tri-ColorBrian said:

No, it was the 2nd collection to be called a pedigree...according to the Pedigree website:

COSMIC AEROPLANE
The second earliest collection recognized as a pedigree, Cosmic Aeroplanes are famous for their distinct markings. Discovered in Salt Lake City, Utah in 1972, the collection was raided by a few collectors before being sold to David Faggiola, owner of the Cosmic Aeroplane Bookstore (hence the name). The books were subsequently and anonymously liquidated into the market.

The collection was amassed by an art teacher during the ’40s and ‘50s to be used for demonstrative purposes for students. This is evident by the numerous checkmarks and notations written in pencil on the margins of each page, or on the cover. Because the collection had been assimilated long before the pedigree concept took hold, there are many unidentified in the market. Collectors enjoy the rush of discovering "lost" copies from the collection, an emotion similarly experienced by fans of the San Francisco, Okajima and Recil Macon pedigrees.

There is no way of knowing the true size of the Cosmic Aeroplane collection, but it's rumored to be somewhere between 2,000 and 3,000. It yielded some big key issues like Adventure #40, Flash #1, and the Showcase #4 pictured on the cover of the 1992 Overstreet Grading Guide. The average grade of the collection is a bit lower than that of its fellow pedigrees, but the rumored size, presence of big keys, and easy identification has allowed the collection's legacy to prevail over the years.

My memory obviously doesn't serve me as well anymore. I knew it was one of the earliest big finds long before we ever heard the "pedigree" term. Wonder what the first was. Mile High?

1 hour ago, telerites said:

I forgot about this one.  I am posting it even though it is in an alien slab because I have already submitted and it is CGC's hands for the cross-over special.  I assume it will keep the designation but I haven't seen the interior as it was bought in the voldy.

3003151139081.jpg

Well since it's going to be in a cgc slab soon, I'll quote it. Cool book, and 'reunited' in the thread with my two issues from the series in the thread.

Thought about sending mine in for the crossover program (I've done it with two other books already), but I guess I'm content with 8.0's on both. May/could comeback higher.....or lower :insane:

1 hour ago, Tri-ColorBrian said:

The collection was amassed by an art teacher during the ’40s and ‘50s to be used for demonstrative purposes for students. This is evident by the numerous checkmarks and notations written in pencil on the margins of each page, or on the cover.

Found this interesting from a link on the Cosmic Aeroplane on Wordpress (see following link)

https://cosmicaeroplane.wordpress.com/2015/03/01/cosmic-aeroplane-comic-books-vol-i/

From Par (Parley) Holman:

"Over the years I have read speculation from some Golden Age collectors as to the significance of the numbers and checkmarks. The consensus is some nonsense that the comics were part of an art service, which marked the books so their artists could re-draw the panels. This is what the checkmarks in the Cosmic Aeroplane Collection really signify: the original owner of the comics would check off panels he wanted to trace (crudely) in pencil on pieces of tracing paper. We took all of the tracing paper out of the comics before listing them for sale."

5 hours ago, Robot Man said:

My memory obviously doesn't serve me as well anymore. I knew it was one of the earliest big finds long before we ever heard the "pedigree" term. Wonder what the first was. Mile High?

Well, if it makes you feel any better, I think the Pedigree site has the wrong date for the collection.  According to Par Holman (see Dan Cooper's link above), it showed up around 1976...and yeah, I think either the Church or San Francisco collection was named first...but probably the San Francisco.

4 hours ago, DanCooper said:

Found this interesting from a link on the Cosmic Aeroplane on Wordpress (see following link)

https://cosmicaeroplane.wordpress.com/2015/03/01/cosmic-aeroplane-comic-books-vol-i/

From Par (Parley) Holman:

"Over the years I have read speculation from some Golden Age collectors as to the significance of the numbers and checkmarks. The consensus is some nonsense that the comics were part of an art service, which marked the books so their artists could re-draw the panels. This is what the checkmarks in the Cosmic Aeroplane Collection really signify: the original owner of the comics would check off panels he wanted to trace (crudely) in pencil on pieces of tracing paper. We took all of the tracing paper out of the comics before listing them for sale."

This is a great article.  Thanks for sharing that link...

On ‎2‎/‎17‎/‎2019 at 12:52 PM, Straw-Man said:

dissolving some minor runs cost me a few of these; here are the only two currently in the ol' collection.

mm74.jpg

I believe I still have first rights of refusal on this, should you decide to sell it, right Billy boy? After all, it DID land pretty hard :baiting: lol

On ‎2‎/‎17‎/‎2019 at 5:29 PM, telerites said:

I forgot about this one.  I am posting it even though it is in an alien slab because I have already submitted and it is CGC's hands for the cross-over special.  I assume it will keep the designation but I haven't seen the interior as it was bought in the voldy.

3003151139081.jpg

Regardless of whatever the interior holds, the checkmark in the "E" of Mystery is strong enough evidence that the pedigree is sound.

On 2/16/2019 at 12:17 PM, MrBedrock said:

This book showed up in an auction about ten years ago. Gator and I were both interested. I let him have it and a year or two later he kindly passed it along. That Gator is A-OK in my book...

amf2-7.jpg

We were at ponscon iirc 

4 minutes ago, G.A.tor said:
On 2/16/2019 at 12:17 PM, MrBedrock said:

This book showed up in an auction about ten years ago. Gator and I were both interested. I let him have it and a year or two later he kindly passed it along. That Gator is A-OK in my book...

amf2-7.jpg

We were at ponscon iirc 

True dat. Billy tells many stories about that trip.

Just now, G.A.tor said:

Is that the hair lip con? Got no memory like parker 

"I wanna date you!"

"How do you like your coffee?" "Well I don't know. I haven't tried it yet!"

Not consistent with the pedigree.