• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Cosmic Aeroplane Pedigree Thread
3 3

104 posts in this topic

11 hours ago, Point Five said:

Amazing book! Off-topic, but I was just thinking the other day that I've seen a lot less Centaurs floating around in the past year. Are they just not coming up for sale as much (even compared to, say, Fox) or is it my imagination?

I have seen very few, and they have been going for quite a bit, even for beater copies.  I'm glad I got the ones I have when I did.  

1 hour ago, mwotka said:
13 hours ago, Point Five said:

Amazing book! Off-topic, but I was just thinking the other day that I've seen a lot less Centaurs floating around in the past year. Are they just not coming up for sale as much (even compared to, say, Fox) or is it my imagination?

I have seen very few, and they have been going for quite a bit, even for beater copies.  I'm glad I got the ones I have when I did.  

Well, since Jon Berk was one of the very few collectors here who had a complete Centaur run, virtually all of them came out (except for the very few he held back) into the marketplace in his big auction with CC back in the summer of 2017.  After that, some of the buyers probably took the opportunity to make a fast buck on them by flipping them back out into the marketplace, most likely after the usual CPR procedure had been done to the books.  :p  :censored:

Likewise, the same thing happened when @G.A.tor had to unfortunately sell off his much treasured Centaur collection the other year when that nasty hurricane ripped through both his home and comic shop business the other year.  If not for that collosal disaster inflicted upon him by Mother Nature, I am sure that all of those Centaurs would still be in Rick's personal collection today and have never hit the marketplace.  :(  :cry:

As a result, most of the Centaurs from thos 2 big collections have by now slowly worked their way through the marketplace over the past 2 years and we are probably back into the usual low low supply of Centaurs in terms of a small sprinkling into the marketplace here and there over time.  :taptaptap:  :taptaptap:

I’ve been collecting comics for 50 years. I have actively looked for the secondary publishers. When everyone wanted DC and Timely, I looked for publishers like Ace, Nedor, MLJ and others. Centaurs have always been among the scarcest. Rarely ever saw them for sale. No matter how much money you have, it would be near impossible to put together another complete set.