• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Time to boast and brag!! How many of these top 100 Hottest Comics do you own?
5 5

120 posts in this topic

I spent a few weeks finding and reading the top ten comics from each of the four eras in the list.  Mostly read reprints, some Comixology, etc.

It was a fun project, I looked up the writers and artists who were unfamiliar to me and took my time.

I realize the list is the most frequently traded books and it's weird to use that as a reading list. The list really only speaks to the speculative side of the hobby (IMO) but that was most of the fun for me because I don't like the speculative side of the hobby . I normally wouldn't look at some of these books.  I hoped to stumble upon some cool stuff that I would never find normally and learn some history.

The quality of the Golden Age EC books stands head and shoulders above the rest of the books of any era, IMO.  I am an EC fan and I expected that. I only wish that Al Feldstein et al didn't overuse narration so much in the writing.  It can kill the flow of the visual story and without that one flaw I think the ECs would be perfect books.

No surprises in the Silver Age.  The top 10 were all Marvel.  I'm not a superhero fan but I am interested in what Marvel has done for the comics industry so I've read a lot of those before.  I re-read everything to get it fresh in my head. Fun stuff, occasionally brilliant art.

From the Bronze Age I enjoyed the 1982 Chris Claremont/Frank Miller Wolverine ninja mini-series. It was new to me and made going through the list worth the time to find it. Loved the concept, the art, and the visual story telling but I struggled through a bit of awkward writing around time lapses in the storyline.

From the Modern age none of the books stood out for me. Mostly serviceable, I suppose, but a few were borderline unreadable.  I did think it was fun to see an old Donald Trump reference buried in The Amazing Spider-Man 361 (1992, 1st full Carnage app.)

----------

Ture Hoefner