• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Batman who Laughs

17 posts in this topic

Thoughts on this comic and related comics on making some waves in the near future? 

New Titans #12 - 

First appearance of BWL 

Batman who laughs Vol. 2 #1 -

First appearance of the Grim Knight (There’s a load of variants for this one)

edit 03.15.19

Batman Who Laughs: The Grim Knight #1

Grim Knight origin?

cover checklist:https://www.comicburst.com/blog/batman-who-laughs-the-grim-knight-1-complete-cover-checklist/

Edited by Asbestos

It seems DC is going to keep pushing this character and as a result Titans 12 will stay strong. It's already selling way higher than I thought it ever would. I'm even considering submitting my 9.2 copy.

Grim Knight is a character Id like to see more of, in his own universe. I got the cover B only; not a variant buyer myself.

You know its going to be an odd year. DC is going to focus on villains so in the short term less then a year its a great book.
Long term I wouldn't hold it unless I see something this year that changes my viewpoint.

So from a DC point of view villains are a good short term investment this year, but long term I don't see them
holding value unless all the speculators stick around long term when the movie money runs out.

The concept story seeems pretty interesting. Basically an alternate Batman in a world that combines his own with the joker and punisher in Batman who Laughs and Grim Knight, respectively. The cover art looks pretty rad in these mini series..and variants..

Here’s are some good references:

https://www.newsarama.com/43930-scott-snyder-batman-who-laughs-3.html

Edited by Asbestos

On 2/16/2019 at 10:36 PM, Asbestos said:

Thoughts on this comic and related comics on making some waves in the near future? 

New Titans #12 - 

First appearance of BWL

It still bugs me that someone, somewhere decided New Titans #12 is the first appearance.  Like it isn't.  It just isn't.  (ugh, sorry for the rant).

3 hours ago, ExNihilo said:

It still bugs me that someone, somewhere decided New Titans #12 is the first appearance.  Like it isn't.  It just isn't.  (ugh, sorry for the rant).

Everything I've seen and heard suggests that Teen Titans 12 is indeed the first full appearance of the character. What's the problem?

15 minutes ago, Lazyboy said:

Everything I've seen and heard suggests that Teen Titans 12 is indeed the first full appearance of the character. What's the problem?

Teen Titans #12 and Dark Nights: Metal #2 were both released on the same day.  Metal #2 occurs before Teen Titans #12 from a story perspective, which in my book means that should be the real 1st appearance.

27 minutes ago, Lazyboy said:

11 minutes ago, ExNihilo said:

Teen Titans #12 and Dark Nights: Metal #2 were both released on the same day.  Metal #2 occurs before Teen Titans #12 from a story perspective, which in my book means that should be the real 1st appearance.

Lets not get into the whole debate in this thread.. there was already one created. thanks @combiner1! 

Edited by Asbestos

28 minutes ago, Asbestos said:

Lets not get into the whole debate in this thread.. there was already one created. thanks @combiner1!

Regarding the topic at hand, I think the 1st appearance of the BWL will stick around and hold value for a while.  I actually see a lot of similarities between the BWL and Carnage.  Both parallel existing villains (Joker/Venom).  Both characters have a "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" type feel.  Spidey teams up with Venom to take down Carnage.  Batman needs Joker to take down the BWL.  Both characters became immediate hits soon following their premiere.  I really can't fathom the price of the book going higher unless a movie announcement was made.  I do have to caution that depending on where the character/story goes, it could wind up being like Doomsday (who I felt made a big splash and then just sort of fizzled), though I don't think the book would ever drop to that level because the potential for character depth seems so much greater.

As for the Grim Knight, I don't have much faith in that book sustaining itself long term.  It's the spin-off of a character who was spun-off from another character.  At some point, it no longer becomes original and instead becomes kinda gimmicky.  The closest analogy I can come up with is Cosmic Ghost Rider.  The value of the book really comes from whether or not DC chooses to market and monetize the character the way Marvel has.  I kinda don't see it happening, but I've also only read the first two issues of the BWL mini-series so I don't know where the story goes for the Grim Knight.

I think the original plan by Snyder (BWL creator) was to have him as a one-off, the same as the other Dark Metal “Batman”. You got The Red Death (Batman/Flash), Devastator (Batman/Doomsday), Drowned (Aquaman/Batman)... and so on.... they were supposed to returned to the Dark universe by the end of the series.

By the middle of the mini series, DC realized that BWL was getting a lot of attention. People were cosplaying, fan art, talking online, etc...  I believe this is why the last issue of Dark Metal got held up, they changed the ending slightly, to let BWL stay is the main universe. 

If DC makes good stories, stay true to the character and NOT overstretched,  BWL would become a great addition. 

On the other hand, if DC put him in all books, that’ll be the end of BWL. Gweenpool anyone?

Good article

10 hours ago, Asbestos said:

Grim knight getting some props..

Which cover will be worth the most?

https://www.comicburst.com/blog/batman-who-laughs-the-grim-knight-1-complete-cover-checklist/

pretty sure a few covers aren’t shown in the link.

That's Grimm Knight #1. Maybe you are thinking of Tec #1000 and their 80+ covers?

https://www.comicburst.com/blog/detective-comics-1000-complete-cover-checklist/

14 hours ago, Asbestos said:

Grim knight getting some props..

Which cover will be worth the most?

https://www.comicburst.com/blog/batman-who-laughs-the-grim-knight-1-complete-cover-checklist/

pretty sure a few covers aren’t shown in the link.

Personally, I like the Philip Tan Homage cover followed by the Kirkham (not shown on that page) ,Anacleto, Louw,Parrillo & Mayhew respectively. They all seem to be selling for around the same price range depending if its the trade dress cover. One Kirkham virgin cover sold for $85. Everything else is in the $20-$40 range for single covers on ebay.