• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Crowley Pedigree Thread
1 1

97 posts in this topic

This is just my personal appraisal of the Crowley Pedigree.  It is not considered a 'high-end' pedigree because the books generally rate at cream to off-white page and have an overall dingy appearance.  That aside, they are typically structurally sound and grade fairly highly.  I don't recall a lot of 9.8 copies but 9.4 are found in abundance.  For most of the Fawcett titles, I doubt you could ever complete a full run in high grade without have a large number of Crowley's books. 

Crowley copies come in two flavors, the normal, C/OW copy and the BFU stamped FILE copy.  For me, the big Fugly stamp is a total turnoff.  I picked up a few early on in my collecting but avoided them after just a few copies.  Some folks like them because it clearly shows what they are.  I found the stamp to overwhelm the cover art to a degree it ruined the book.  again, just my personal opinion.

In general, I would call the Crowley copies one of the poorest pedigrees as far a desirability but one of the easiest to find on a regular basis.  I am sure that I have owned a ton of issues over the years but never hesitated to upgrade to a better looking copy if one came along, even if it had a lower CGC grade

1 hour ago, cheetah said:

This is just my personal appraisal of the Crowley Pedigree.  It is not considered a 'high-end' pedigree because the books generally rate at cream to off-white page and have an overall dingy appearance.  That aside, they are typically structurally sound and grade fairly highly.  I don't recall a lot of 9.8 copies but 9.4 are found in abundance.  For most of the Fawcett titles, I doubt you could ever complete a full run in high grade without have a large number of Crowley's books. 

Crowley copies come in two flavors, the normal, C/OW copy and the BFU stamped FILE copy.  For me, the big Fugly stamp is a total turnoff.  I picked up a few early on in my collecting but avoided them after just a few copies.  Some folks like them because it clearly shows what they are.  I found the stamp to overwhelm the cover art to a degree it ruined the book.  again, just my personal opinion.

In general, I would call the Crowley copies one of the poorest pedigrees as far a desirability but one of the easiest to find on a regular basis.  I am sure that I have owned a ton of issues over the years but never hesitated to upgrade to a better looking copy if one came along, even if it had a lower CGC grade

As with several pedigrees, the state of storage affected a lot of the books.  Opposite to the Big Apples, the Crowleys tend to be poorly preserved from the early parts of the run (corresponding to the stamped copies), and increasingly nice as they get later in the runs.  Many of the 1950s books are remarkably nice, both in terms of structural grade and state of preservation.