• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Crowley Pedigree Thread
1 1

97 posts in this topic

6 hours ago, cheetah said:

In general, I would call the Crowley copies one of the poorest pedigrees as far a desirability but one of the easiest to find on a regular basis. 

I would tend to disagree with this as I believe the last 3 pedigrees which they designated last year to be even worst than the Crowley's by a long shot.  :gossip:

These would be the Cookville, Eldon, and Harold Curtis as all 3 of these pedigrees are probably in the Fine to VF condition range at best, and unlike the Crowley, with possibly only a tiny tiny fraction of them being able to hit into the CGC 9's, if any at all.  :p

Edited by lou_fine

6 hours ago, lou_fine said:

I would tend to disagree with this as I believe the last 3 pedigrees which they designated last year to be even worst than the Crowley's by a long shot.  :gossip:

These would be the Cookville, Eldon, and Harold Curtis as all 3 of these pedigrees are probably in the Fine to VF condition range at best, and unlike the Crowley, with possibly only a tiny tiny fraction of them being able to hit into the CGC 9's, if any at all.  :p

I only ever had one Eldon and one Curtis book.  Neither was special except for the name written on the cover.  If I ever had a Cookville, I did not know it.  I wasn't around when they were made pedigrees but I assume it was fairly controversial. 

1 hour ago, cheetah said:
8 hours ago, lou_fine said:

I only ever had one Eldon and one Curtis book.  Neither was special except for the name written on the cover.  If I ever had a Cookville, I did not know it.  I wasn't around when they were made pedigrees but I assume it was fairly controversial. 

Well, since this was done back in August of 2019  when CGC released their new pedigree labels, I assume you shoud have been around at the time based upon your profile. :gossip:

I believe all of the controversy centered around the colors of the new pedigree label and I might have been the only one to point out that high grade condition had fallen way down the priority list for pedigree designation, while size of collection now seem to be one of the key factors.  Pretty much no controversy at all since this is simply another one of CGC's additional streams of revenues whereby everybody wins as collectors gladly resubmit their books back into CGC (for a fee of course) for the new pedigree labels as all parties involve hope to get more money out of this move.  :flipbait:

As I said at the time, no doubt CGC will rinse and repeat as they will eventually come out with an ultimate pedigree label for the true pedigrees such as the Church and Allentown's to segregate them back out from the mid-grade Eldon's and Harold Curtis mid-grade so-called "pedigrees".  :devil:

2 hours ago, lou_fine said:
4 hours ago, cheetah said:
11 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Well, since this was done back in August of 2019  when CGC released their new pedigree labels, I assume you shoud have been around at the time based upon your profile. :gossip:

I think he may have taken a hiatus...

Resurrecting an old thread... 

Is there an identifying mark that indicates that a book is a Crowley?  I bought a Marvel Family graded by the redheaded stepchild, and want to make sure that once I crack it, it's still going to be recognized.  It was packaged with the validation card in the back, but by virtue of being graded by they who shall not be mentioned, has that invalidated my book already?  If so, no big loss, I like the book already without the pedigree status.

20211115_182153[1].jpg

20211115_191053[1].jpg

On 11/15/2021 at 4:13 PM, FineCollector said:

Resurrecting an old thread... 

Is there an identifying mark that indicates that a book is a Crowley?  I bought a Marvel Family graded by the redheaded stepchild, and want to make sure that once I crack it, it's still going to be recognized.  It was packaged with the validation card in the back, but by virtue of being graded by they who shall not be mentioned, has that invalidated my book already?  If so, no big loss, I like the book already without the pedigree status.

20211115_182153[1].jpg

20211115_191053[1].jpg

Only markings I am aware of are the large “Checking Copy” stamp on a lot of the Fawcetts. There are duplicates of a lot of them with no stamp.

I would think Bechara’s COA would be enough to validate the pedigree for CGC. Personaly, I would see no need to have it re-graded.

On 12/15/2021 at 11:19 AM, goldsilverap said:

One thing I was wondering about this pedigree, does it contain every Fawcett book that was published? Does it include early Whiz, Captain Marvel Adventures?

It's comprehensive from the point it started which was in 1940.  You can search Heritage to see examples.