• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Haul
1 1

283 posts in this topic

5 hours ago, Karl Liebl said:

I don't think it has anything to do with your disability.  There is a never ending stream of people willing to give you a penny for your books and charge 1000 for it.  It is up to you to arm yourself with knowledge about prices and conditions so you don't get ripped off.  Don't take it personally, just move along until you find the right book at the right price for you.  At least now you have the advantage of shopping the entire internet instead of just local shops and waiting for conventions.

That is excellent advice.

37 minutes ago, Hollywood1892 said:

Actually I'm 40  just got out of prison after serving 20 years and I'm trying to reinvent a childhood filled with trauma neglect and abuse. I'm trying to find a comfort zone and fit in with a society that I have felt neglected by for a majority of my life. I dont have a lot of money  I work a dead end job and I have to report to a parole officer on a weekly basis, I have to submit randomly to urinalysis and take extensive programming to deal with substance and violent issues, but if you feel comfortable coming at me for trying to belong while you have guilt your collection in the relative comfort of safety and security then feed your manhood soldier 😡

Sorry to hear you had very hard times, but good to hear you're pulling out of it hopefully now.

But geez, if you don't have lots of money, why are you buying nose-bleed graded books at high prices. That "haul" you showed is something that I wouldn't feel comfortable dropping that much money on myself (and I don't consider myself rich but I'm doing okay).

HG books are not childhood-memories, they're speculating and ultra-HG collecting & bragging. Is that EOSV2 a childhood memory? You know how many awesome childhood-era books in pretty nice shape (keys included) you can get for that modern EOSV?

I get the idea of reinventing a childhood lost, I kinda do the same, but there are a TON of copies of GREAT childhood-era books that are in still pretty decent shape in the $2-$10 boxes at all theses shows if you want to rebuild a childhood lost.

Edited by jcjames

1 hour ago, Hollywood1892 said:

Actually I'm 40  just got out of prison after serving 20 years and I'm trying to reinvent a childhood filled with trauma neglect and abuse. I'm trying to find a comfort zone and fit in with a society that I have felt neglected by for a majority of my life. I dont have a lot of money  I work a dead end job and I have to report to a parole officer on a weekly basis, I have to submit randomly to urinalysis and take extensive programming to deal with substance and violent issues, but if you feel comfortable coming at me for trying to belong while you have guilt your collection in the relative comfort of safety and security then feed your manhood soldier 😡

Based on the price tags in your photos and the $400 you said NM 98 cost, you're tally is just north of $1100.  And that's without factoring at least three other books that will probably add at least a couple hundred $ more.

If you have all these other much more important issues to deal with in your life, does this really seem like the best use of your time and ("I dont have a lot of") money?

1 hour ago, 01TheDude said:

probably not the best type of information to share on these boards

I suggest you hang around the newb forum for a while and get acclimated to how this place operates. Coming in here and boasting that you made some dealer look like a jerk because you paid less for an item they were selling-- that is not going to go over like you think it would. Or bow up and act all tough about it and ignore any decent advise-- that seems to be what many people who don't last very long here so often do.

That's funny,because I want action g tough and I was pointing out that his book was greatly inflated far past value. And if you want to talk about lasting in places or surviving, I imagine I have survived in some pretty harsh environments, and I have yet to concede my identity to anyone.

4 minutes ago, Hollywood1892 said:

That's funny,because I want action g tough and I was pointing out that his book was greatly inflated far past value. And if you want to talk about lasting in places or surviving, I imagine I have survived in some pretty harsh environments, and I have yet to concede my identity to anyone.

14-the-room-tommy-wiseau.w700.h700.jpg

2 hours ago, jcjames said:

Sorry to hear you had very hard times, but good to hear you're pulling out of it hopefully now.

But geez, if you don't have lots of money, why are you buying nose-bleed graded books at high prices. That "haul" you showed is something that I wouldn't feel comfortable dropping that much money on myself (and I don't consider myself rich but I'm doing okay).

HG books are not childhood-memories, they're speculating and ultra-HG collecting & bragging. Is that EOSV2 a childhood memory? You know how many awesome childhood-era books in pretty nice shape (keys included) you can get for that modern EOSV?

I get the idea of reinventing a childhood lost, I kinda do the same, but there are a TON of copies of GREAT childhood-era books that are in still pretty decent shape in the $2-$10 boxes at all theses shows if you want to rebuild a childhood lost.

Well

The Thanos the edge if spiderverse,those are pure spec. It started with ASM 361 and has turned into speculating the market based on upcoming movies

8 minutes ago, Hollywood1892 said:

Well

The Thanos the edge if spiderverse,those are pure spec. It started with ASM 361 and has turned into speculating the market based on upcoming movies

What's important about Thanos 13?   Thanos books already popped a few years back.  $95 for a book that's a few years old?  What is special about that issue?   

Spider-Gwen popped as soon as it came out.  Maybe another bump for the Spider-Verse movie?  Spider-Gwen appears to have some legs, but still too new a character to know for sure.  

Those are books that already had their jumps.  

ASM361 is a decent bet, as Carnage has been around for awhile now, but that book jumped a bit with the Venom movie and villain books tend to jump and then settle back to earth for awhile.  

22 minutes ago, Hollywood1892 said:

Well

Yeah, I think I saw some other threads where you asking for info on spec books, nothing wrong with that. But on a tight budget some of those are closer to gambling.

But it's your stuff and so, collect what you enjoy and enjoy what you collect. :cool:

24 minutes ago, Hollywood1892 said:

Well

Again, you say you have limited funds but are speculating on modern age funny books that might rise a bit due to move hype?  Meanwhile, ex-US ETFs comprised of stocks from emerging and developed markets are both off their highs by almost 20%, are often offered commission free through various brokers, and pay a dividend.

Which would I rather bet on... hm

3 hours ago, 01TheDude said:

keeping in mind they are talking about a CGC graded 9.8 copy - there seems to be a huge premium paid for moving up from 9.2 to 9.4 to 9.6 with a nosebleed jump to some 9.8s. I am guessing your copies might not be quite that exceptional condition-wise if these weren't your focus (and you stated you have them "somewhere" which makes me doubt they have received the best care). I won't go into the whole pence copy part either. But yeah-- I get the same good feeling when I see a book I bought off the rack getting good money when I paid cover price (25-35 cents) when I was buying from the rack.

I bought them bagged and boarded and put them along with my other comics in their boxes, I'm not interested in the value, I just thought it was funny that I just bought these three.:bigsmile:  Even with my Spidey collection, I just have these  because I have a story for each one and again I don't care about the value, in fact I hate seeing certain books gain value as it stops me completing my runs, I need AF15 Amazing 1, 2  but I would be content just completing my run and my Werewolf by night with issue 32. Condition does not matter only that it is complete My Spideys alone run from 4.0 to NM and I'm happy with that. 

278foq.jpg

Edited by tv horror

18 hours ago, FineCollector said:

Yawn... sounds like just another kid asking for big discounts on keys.  Can you even name 3 Eternals without looking?

6 hours ago, Hollywood1892 said:

:whatthe:

PwnedSlap.jpg

6 hours ago, Hollywood1892 said:

Dont think of any job as dead end just do the best job you can and thats enough for the soul.  There are no small roles, remember, only small actors.

3 minutes ago, Hollywood1892 said:

Like a Boss!

Unlike the American prison system or American culture for instance we believe in rehabilitation up here rather than punishment, so I was fortunate to do work releases that paid minimum wage, so I got out with a decent nest egg and I don't have many Bill's since I live in a halfway house

So the money I make I buy comics

Thanks for the support guys

#lovemorehateless 

I've always done every job I had with the care of a brain surgeon.  Thats a reward in itself.  Sometimes a complete stranger notices your work ethic and suddenly a new job opportunity pops up.

32 minutes ago, kav said:

I've always done every job I had with the care of a brain surgeon.  Thats a reward in itself.  Sometimes a complete stranger notices your work ethic and suddenly a new job opportunity pops up.

Absolutely! You think I want to kill things with great care of a surgeon. 

Well, yes I do . :devil: