• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Haul
1 1

283 posts in this topic

12 minutes ago, oakman29 said:

Absolutely! You think I want to kill things with great care of a surgeon. 

Well, yes I do . :devil:

Oakman doesnt just show up and start blasting-he plans things out like a military campaign.  Operation Rat Basterd.

23 hours ago, Hollywood1892 said:

Whhhyyyyy😂🤣

Do I have to wear a diaper when I read your posts?

There was none selling them for 100 dollars at that ripoff show, I have a nose for deals and I sniffed out all of them. The only deal I passed on was asm 361 9.8 which was about 20 less than what I paid for it but buddy threw in a comic I wanted.

x-force 11 in 9.8 routinely sells for $75 to $100 on ebay so it's more the local dealer was out to lunch than you sniffed out a deal.

7 hours ago, chrisco37 said:

What's important about Thanos 13?   Thanos books already popped a few years back.  $95 for a book that's a few years old?  What is special about that issue?   

Ok. A bit of research not my part.  1st cosmic GR, who also happens to be the Punisher.  What are the odds?

50 minutes ago, thehumantorch said:

x-force 11 in 9.8 routinely sells for $75 to $100 on ebay so it's more the local dealer was out to lunch than you sniffed out a deal.

I didnt sniff out the deal on the xforce I thought I got a really crisp new mutants 98, worried a little about the price drop in recent months  hopefully it comes back 9.8. I got thanos 13 9.8 mvs 36 storm for 375 canadian, I got xforce 11 9.8 90 canadian, eosv2 275 canadian, deadpool 1 70 Canadian circle chase complete set 70, killing joke 85 rai Jim shooter autograph 95 canadian. I thought I did well

1 minute ago, Hollywood1892 said:

I didnt sniff out the deal on the xforce I thought I got a really crisp new mutants 98, worried a little about the price drop in recent months  hopefully it comes back 9.8. I got thanos 13 9.8 mvs 36 storm for 375 canadian, I got xforce 11 9.8 90 canadian, eosv2 275 canadian, deadpool 1 70 Canadian circle chase complete set 70, killing joke 85 rai Jim shooter autograph 95 canadian. I thought I did well

You did fine.

5 hours ago, Hollywood1892 said:

Like a Boss!

Unlike the American prison system or American culture for instance we believe in rehabilitation up here rather than punishment, so I was fortunate to do work releases that paid minimum wage, so I got out with a decent nest egg and I don't have many Bill's since I live in a halfway house

So the money I make I buy comics

Thanks for the support guys

#lovemorehateless 

Keep after it man! A very good friend of mine has a similar story and he’s turned his life around. As far as comics, there’s an unbelievable amount of information on these boards. Poke around for a bit and there’s really no question that couldn’t be answered  (although the search feature is lacking so whenever I need to find something here i use google ).  And if you’re in a buying mood definitely check out the for-sale threads. eBay is a joke compared to buying from here...great books and sellers who know how to grade, ship and often prices that can’t be beat. 

Good luck and welcome to the boards

(thumbsu

19 hours ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

What do you consider an acceptable profit margin for someone to make, and how do you go about determining what their profit margin is...?

For something like a comic book shop that is consistently open every day those numbers would be harder to iron out, but most of those comic books shops diversify into other areas such as action figures, CCG's, video games, music, and table top rpg games like dungeons and dragons to help keep the lights on. I got out of collecting for a long time, but I did a lot of research when I was collecting and I do know that most coming book shop owners are not going to pay anywhere near what a collections actual value is because they would not make any money and would go out of business pretty quickly. In most cases people walk in the door with some old comics they had as a kid, or comics their dad or grandfather gave them with no real idea of what they have. Most shop owners are not going to take the time to offer anything for a bunch of comics that they throw into their dollar bin. They are going to try to find the few gems that are in the box, pay next to nothing for the "trash" comics and try to pick up the comics that are worth something by naming a flat rate price that is considerably lower then the comics value. That way they have less of a risk of taking any kind of lose on their investment. Most shops are not going to offer real money for issues unless they either know the person or something great walks in their door that they know they can flip and they do not wanted leaving their shop.

Most of the experiences I was referring to have to do with people setting up in places like flea markets where what they pay for X space is a known fact if you know where to look, they have no employees other then themselves or maybe one other person and their time. Besides that their only real expense is their inventory and their time. While the worth of someone's time is subjective, when you are trying to charge 3 times what a book list for to someone. that does not know much about the worth of X book and then you have a good idea that the vendor most likely paid less then half of that list price then that is an insane amount of profit on investment for that item. also, from a business prospective if you are selling items at 3x plus what you paid for them and still have a hard time at the end of the day staying in business then you have either overpriced your product, the demand for your product is not there and you need to diversify to handle a changing market, or there is gross mismanagement of funds in other areas and something needs to change.

Like I said before, I have zero problem with anyone making money for their time. I support local business, but to me there is a difference between making a profit to keep your doors open and turning around and buying something for 10% of it's actual value and selling it for three times it's actual value to someone that does not know any better just to make a quick buck and wait for the next sucker to walk in the door.

Some might look at me and say that is the customers fault for not doing their research and that they deserve what they get for being ignorant of the hobby, but I have always fallen into the camp to think that behavior like that from a seller does a disservice to the hobby because eventually that person is going to learn that you took advantage of them to make some quick cash at their expense. When that happens do you think that person is going to shrug their shoulders and say "You got me." And go on about his day while continuing to be a customer? No, odds are that person will be distrustful of anything you tell them and if they do not leave the hobby altogether odds are good they will never step foot in that shop again. I have seen it happen. With the owner bragging about how he got another one as the guy was walking out the door. You would be shocked what people will say in front of you when you have a disability and people (the shop owner) assumes that you are stupid as well.

I have no problem with people earning a living but you should not have to do it at other people's expense just to make some fast cash because a lot of the time the fast cash goes away and you are left with nothing. Most big businesses operate on about an 11% profit margin against expenses for the year. If you do better then that you are above the curve. As a small business you would have to do slightly higher then that to get a decent return on investment versus what a big company does simply because of the difference in volume of sales and inventory, but with that said if you are buying something at a good deal less then it's actual market value you should not have to sell it for 4 or 5 times that just to make decent money.

Believe me, I am not saying this to start anything. I really love the boards and all the people here, but I do have a degree in accounting and at the end of the day I just do not like to see anyone taken advantage of like that because of their lack of knowledge and someone else's greed. I do not think anyone here would use those predatory business practices and would give people here a fair shake. I am not stupid, I know there are people like that in this world (I have met several sadly) but I just want to live my life where I have no problem looking at my reflection in a mirror in the morning and I would hope others would want the same.

I've just seen too much of the instant wall upgrade-where LCS owner buys book and says its a 3.5, as soon as it hits his wall magically its a 7.5.  Along with the guy who doesnt know comics comes in with IH 181 owner says 'how much ya want for it?' hopin the guy will say I dunno 10 bucks?  

On 2/19/2019 at 1:33 AM, 01TheDude said:

call me a cynic or whatever-- but when I see people ONLY seem to talk about buying speculation/movie hype books -- obsessed with condition and valuation -- that does not make me think "oh hey, this person is really into comics". It makes me think this person thinks they can work the collecting system. I am by no means some big time collector but I appreciate the books for what they are. I do not hunt or even buy keys very often-- I prefer to collect runs and buy SA and BA books that are reasonably priced (mid grade) not in hopes of flipping them but just to own them and read them. I realize people collect in a lot of different ways and no one way is the right way. I just find some of the newer people who come along to our boards and instantly start in with the value/condition/"key" worthiness/Hot book etc are little too disingenuous. While people collect different things-- the one thing most of us have in common is a passion for the hobby. Maybe I am just having trouble appreciating this collecting tactic or cannot see their degree of passion beyond the money aspect.

Add to that the numerous new posters who have been creating "Friday threads" the last few months(perhaps years?)  - bitcoinswami in particular--  and it is not hard to see why I am initially skeptical of splashy new posters like the OP. It is also why I try to advise them to check out the newbie forum - as I would rather they get up to speed  with how to best use the forum than make a ton of newbie mistakes and end up leaving/annoying people until they do get it. I got the impression they missed my intention and took what I said as a threat. To be fair - the prison comments were a little strange to me-- and only through context of later posts did I figure out they were in prison not in the USA (Canada perhaps? best guess). Regardless-- that type of information seems a little over the top sharing wise imo - and might be best kept on the down low - though I get the impression they are apparently proud of those 20 years of incarceration. Most Americans would find that counter-intuitive because our prison system is an overpopulated, mostly privatized, corporate disaster.

Anyway -- good luck with your collecting and time on this board. Sorry if I misread the situation.

I'm doing the knightsquest! Also might look into maximum carnage, but I like speculating too.

@hollywood1978 

@hollywood1982 Hello don't listen to these people! We know the future and will be the Whales while all these sheep will just go baaaaaaaaaaaaaaa (sheep sounds) because thats  whats sheep do they only follow the crowd. People like us have that initiation and insight!

my next haul is nova #1, wolverine #1, silver surfer #1, and 1st appearance of the black costume!

19 minutes ago, BITCOINSWAMI said:

@hollywood1982 Hello don't listen to these people! We know the future and will be the Whales while all these sheep will just go baaaaaaaaaaaaaaa (sheep sounds) because thats  whats sheep do they only follow the crowd. People like us have that initiation and insight!

my next haul is nova #1, wolverine #1, silver surfer #1, and 1st appearance of the black costume!

The ONLY thing you're doing is following the crowd. You have no knowledge (NONE) of your own, and you're constantly asking us for picks. 

2 hours ago, BITCOINSWAMI said:

Baa baa black sheep, have you any wool? No sir, no sir, just ASM 361