• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A good X-men series to read.

12 posts in this topic

I understand that this is CGC boards, but I also know there are all kinds of collectors here, so do you guys know any good X-Men series I can get into reading without breaking the bank? Looking for something with a good story that I can get several issues of without having to morgage my house lol. Thanks guys.

I collected the X men comics when I was a kid.  I had issue 5 to about 160 before I got bored with comics.  I never really found them interesting to read.  Yes, I know they are immensely popular today but when I was buying they were a third rate series that I chose to collect because it was only about 100 books and the prices were cheap and I had a shot at getting them all on a 12 year old's paper route budget.  Teen age heroes with hormonal problems, Kitty Pryde?! an adult Wolverine looking after the "kids"?  Maybe you should just read them online for a fraction of the cost and decide for yourself how good they are.  The series almost went under and was bi monthly until issue 94 came out.  I challenge you to read a few EC books and decide for yourself what the better reading material is for an adult.  Reading is not the same as collecting.

Does backstory matter, or are you willing to jump in anywhere? (And by backstory, I also mean just knowing the characters...)

I enjoyed X-Factor v3 (2006-2009), with Peter David writing, when Multiple Man led the team sort of as a detective agency.

I'm also a fan of Excalibur and Exiles, though both have some highs and lows over the runs.

18 hours ago, Zoopadoop said:

Is the X-men comic by Joss Whedon any good?

Yeah, Astonishing is pretty good, and reasonably noon-friendly. 

For other recommendations, can you be a bit more specific, please? Any era or roster you're looking for? 

For reading? There are several trades of the first 50 issues of the new X-Men, including Dark Phoenix, nearly all of which is outstanding.

I loved Mutant Massacre, but it was a little disjointed and unwieldy. That's X-Men #210-213, New Mutants #46, Thor #373-374, X-Factor #9-11, and Power Pack #27. Maybe one or two more. It was a great idea, and, really, the genesis of the Marvel mutant crossover events (the next one would be Fall of the Mutants.) Had they come up with a nifty cover logo, I think it would be even more of a standout.

Whatever you do, don't read X-Men #214-267. None of it makes any sense.

:D

No, really. It doesn't. 

Age of Apocalypse is fun, and pretty self contained.

All of this is in trade form, or cheap.

19 hours ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

For reading? There are several trades of the first 50 issues of the new X-Men, including Dark Phoenix, nearly all of which is outstanding.

I loved Mutant Massacre, but it was a little disjointed and unwieldy. That's X-Men #210-213, New Mutants #46, Thor #373-374, X-Factor #9-11, and Power Pack #27. Maybe one or two more. It was a great idea, and, really, the genesis of the Marvel mutant crossover events (the next one would be Fall of the Mutants.) Had they come up with a nifty cover logo, I think it would be even more of a standout.

Whatever you do, don't read X-Men #214-267. None of it makes any sense.

:D

No, really. It doesn't. 

Age of Apocalypse is fun, and pretty self contained.

All of this is in trade form, or cheap.

Agree on the Mutant Massacre storyline. Really good read. I would also say any of the early "reboot" issues. From #94 through the late 130s with the Dark Phoenix and Hellfire Club stories. Although unfortunately those won't be cheap these days, but as someone else suggested online might be an option.

6 minutes ago, serling1978 said:

Agree on the Mutant Massacre storyline. Really good read. I would also say any of the early "reboot" issues. From #94 through the late 130s with the Dark Phoenix and Hellfire Club stories. Although unfortunately those won't be cheap these days, but as someone else suggested online might be an option.

They are reprinted in multiple trades.

Here's one, $11+ shipped:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Marvel-Masterworks-5-The-X-Men-94-100-Giant-1-Trade-Peperback-Comic-Book/273698419347?hash=item3fb9b27293:g:8UYAAOSwF8BcYqOd

GS #1 and #94-100.

5 minutes ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

There you go. Just remembered they're all also reprinted in the Classic Xmen series, Volume 2 from the mid to late 80s I believe

On 2/18/2019 at 11:53 AM, Cocomonkey said:

Does backstory matter, or are you willing to jump in anywhere? (And by backstory, I also mean just knowing the characters...)

I enjoyed X-Factor v3 (2006-2009), with Peter David writing, when Multiple Man led the team sort of as a detective agency.

I'm also a fan of Excalibur and Exiles, though both have some highs and lows over the runs.

Backstory matters little as long as I do not come in the story in the middle of an arc.

Age of Apocalypse was the best X-book storyline I've read in many years. 

A fun series is a 1990s run that retells the early stories. I forget the series name but it can be found pretty easily at discounts to cover. 

Dark Genesis was a good read and the TPB is often found below cover. 

Classic X-Men is a great way to read the original C&B stories plus many issues have previously unpublished gems in them. They were cheap but are moving up a bit.