• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Cap 1 vs MF 73
1 1

42 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, JM2 said:

The 'Cap 1 vs Bats 1' thread was a match-up of different types of comics; thread was opinionated but not heated.  This one, on the other hand...I can see the potential for fireworks.

Bad idea for a thread?

I don’t think so.  I think its a good idea.  But I don’t think the books match up as well as Cap 1 and Bat 1.  I’ll be curious to hear the experiences/thoughts of others.  I was once the high bidder on an MF73 at close of bidding on a Heritage auction, but I was told later by Heritage that there was a mess up and someone else won the book.  They were unprofessional about it, and at the time I swore never again, but those were empty threats since I still buy from them occasionally

Edited by GreatCaesarsGhost

7 hours ago, JM2 said:

The 'Cap 1 vs Bats 1' thread was a match-up of different types of comics; thread was opinionated but not heated.  This one, on the other hand...I can see the potential for fireworks.

Bad idea for a thread?

Good idea because the Aquaman franchise in Hollywood is just starting up,while the Captain America franchise is winding down.

Should be interesting to see what happens in 5 years.

Edited by ComicConnoisseur

30 minutes ago, G.A.tor said:

While pricier these days, mf73 is still a second or third tier key

i had 5 copies for sale at cons from 2007-2012 and didn’t so much as have anyone even inquire about the book, except Harley who asked why I had so many lol

woukd have everyone ask about any cap 1. 

Not even in same league to compare imo

I am definitely going to agree with your opinion on this.

My reasoning would be to add to what you say is the Aquaman of the hit movie that did 1 billion does not even look closely like the one from mf73.

Image result for aquaman

image.jpeg.cfa18e9616ca9ae01331562baef05198.jpeg

Looks like an entirely different character

while Captain America from the hit movies series looks like Captain America from CA#1.

13 hours ago, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

I don’t think so.  I think its a good idea.  But I don’t think the books match up as well as Cap 1 and Bat 1.  I’ll be curious to hear the experiences/thoughts of others.  I was once the high bidder on an MF73 at close of bidding on a Heritage auction, but I was told later by Heritage that there was a mess up and someone else won the book.  They were unprofessional about it, and at the time I swore never again, but those were empty threats since I still buy from them occasionally

I concur with that.

8 hours ago, Chicago Boy said:

Comparing apples to and apple seeds. Love these types of threads though. I think these are good match ups: 

Action 1 vs Tec 27

MC 1 vs Cap 1 

Cap 1 vs Bats 1. 

AA 16 vs Flash 1 

Supes 1 vs MC 1 or Cap 1 

While Action 1 v. D27 is an obvious match-up of the two longest running and most popular early superheroes.  So this one's a no-brainer.  But, I think some of the other match-ups need a bit of refinement.

I'd note that the following comics at one time or another held the world record for highest price ever paid for a comic:  Action 1, D 27, MC 1, Whiz 2, MPFW 1, and CA 1.  Two of those five are not making your list.

How about Whiz 2 v. CA 1 or MC 1?  The 9.0 Whiz 2 has sold for more or comparable amounts as 9.0 CA 1.  I also think that AS 8 may be in the mix with AA 16 and Flash 1.

The books (and characters for that matter) are not even close to comparable from my standpoint. The Aquaman movie has pushed up curiosity, demand, and FMV for MF73 but it's still a 2nd/3rd tier book/character for me. I did enjoy the Aquaman movie but that hasn't peaked my interest to acquire the book. Cap and Cap 1, on the other hand, I am a fan of both. 

14 hours ago, sfcityduck said:

While Action 1 v. D27 is an obvious match-up of the two longest running and most popular early superheroes.  So this one's a no-brainer.  But, I think some of the other match-ups need a bit of refinement.

I'd note that the following comics at one time or another held the world record for highest price ever paid for a comic:  Action 1, D 27, MC 1, Whiz 2, MPFW 1, and CA 1.  Two of those five are not making your list.

How about Whiz 2 v. CA 1 or MC 1?  The 9.0 Whiz 2 has sold for more or comparable amounts as 9.0 CA 1.  I also think that AS 8 may be in the mix with AA 16 and Flash 1.

I like the AS 8 inclusion with AA 16 abd Flash 1. I think Whiz 2 and MPFW 1 are important books and I guess should be part of the discussion but I’m not sure where I’d put them. I guess I’d throw Pep 22 in the mix then.  It might be my own bias when it comes to what is “ universally popular “. 

55 minutes ago, Spiderturtle said:

Cap 1 vs as8 is a better comparison than cap 1 vs bat 1

bat 1 vs Superman 1 is also better than comparing 

cap 1 vs bat 1

The Cap and Bat compsarisin were fiscal on my part. There was a time it was close and many thought ( still do ) it will supersede Bats 1.  I personally think it’s superior to either AS 8 or Bats 1 

40 minutes ago, Chicago Boy said:

The Cap and Bat compsarisin were fiscal on my part. There was a time it was close and many thought ( still do ) it will supersede Bats 1.  I personally think it’s superior to either AS 8 or Bats 1 

I do agree that cap 1 is superior to as8 or Bats 1.  most would probably laugh at me for saying that as8 should be superior to bat 1 (it'll never happen since as8 doesn't even have wonder woman on it), reasoning is that wonder woman is cooler than the joker :preach:

Cap 1 & Bat 1 > AS 8 (If AS 8 had Wonder Woman on the cover like Sensation 1, then yes all 3 would be closely equal)

Like a few have mentioned, there was a time (could still be) where Cap 1 and Bat 1 values were neck and neck in terms of value.  Supes 1 far exceeds its value over the two.

I am have been flip flopping on which book is more significant and valuable.  Here is how I broke down Cap 1 and Bat 1:

1) Cover - Between the two, my vote would be towards Cap 1.  Better cover depicting WW II and has Hitler being punched by Cap.  A true classic!

2) Character significance (tie):  Cap 1 (1st app. of Captain America obviously and Bucky.  Captain America, the First Avenger, has paved the way towards Marvel Comics as the 1st superhero for the title. A symbol of our country and a true American hero)

Bat 1 (1st app. Joker and Catwoman..  Joker is arguably the best and greatest villain of all-time.  Without the Joker, Batman's popularity wouldn't have been reached to where it is now I think.  Add in Catwoman to the content of the book as an extra)

3) Character Popularity:  I think Batman is still more popular than Captain America as being one of the top 3 most recognizable comic characters of all time worldwide.  I think when non-comic people (or people who really don't follow comic books) see a Batman 1 book and a Cap 1 book side by side, I think they would see the Batman 1 as the more valuable book out of the two.

MF 73 is not in the conversation when being compared to a Bats 1 or Cap 1.  Aquaman is still regarded as a 2nd tier, possibly 3rd comic book character.  MF 73 would most closely be compared to key books such as All-American #16 and Flash Comics 1.  I think AA 16 and Flash Comics 1 are more significant books than a MF 73.

Edited by Dark Knight

5 minutes ago, Spiderturtle said:

I do agree that cap 1 is superior to as8 or Bats 1.  most would probably laugh at me for saying that as8 should be superior to bat 1 (it'll never happen since as8 doesn't even have wonder woman on it), reasoning is that wonder woman is cooler than the joker :preach:

AS 8 > Bats 1.  👍🏻

3 minutes ago, Chicago Boy said:
10 minutes ago, Spiderturtle said:

AS 8 > Bats 1.  👍🏻

:whatthe:  For someone who has a Batman avatar next to your user name, you don't deserve to have it up :baiting:

Just now, Dark Knight said:

:whatthe:  For someone who has a Batman avatar next to your user name, you don't deserve to have it up :baiting:

I like what you said also DK :foryou:    Truth be known Bats isn’t close to my favorite character.  I think my avatar is Fake News 🤔

Just now, Chicago Boy said:
3 minutes ago, Dark Knight said:

I like what you said also DK :foryou:    Truth be known Bats isn’t close to my favorite character.  I think my avatar is Fake News 🤔

:whatthe: Never expected that