• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Looking for owner of AF #15 stolen at C2E2 2018.
1 1

22 posts in this topic

Hello all. I remember postings from last year about an AF #15 that was stolen from C2E2. Trying to find the owner or owners info to get the CGC slab number. A copy has come to my attention, but the price is so low that I can’t help but assume shenanigans are involved. Reason I ask is b/c the seller is in reasonable proximity to where the book was stolen. If it’s the stolen book, I want the owner to be able to inform the authorities and hopefully get his book back. If it’s *not* the stolen book, then hey, lucky me. ;)

4 minutes ago, BabaLament said:

Hello all. I remember postings from last year about an AF #15 that was stolen from C2E2. Trying to find the owner or owners info to get the CGC slab number. A copy has come to my attention, but the price is so low that I can’t help but assume shenanigans are involved. Reason I ask is b/c the seller is in reasonable proximity to where the book was stolen. If it’s the stolen book, I want the owner to be able to inform the authorities and hopefully get his book back. If it’s *not* the stolen book, then hey, lucky me. ;)

are you talking about this? first post gives the cert number .....

1 hour ago, lhcomics said:

The stolen comic was mine. I will say Collectibles Insurance Services was good to me and paid out very close to my asking price. 

No increase in my rates to speak if and I'm still insured.

Ive been with them 10+ years and never a claim.

Thanks for bringing attention to mine and maybe one day it'll be recovered.

Leroy

Thank you for posting this. I have a policy with them and have never filed a claim so it was in the back of my paranoid mind to wonder if they would pay out or cancel right afterwards.

1 hour ago, lhcomics said:

The stolen comic was mine. I will say Collectibles Insurance Services was good to me and paid out very close to my asking price. 

Leroy

Just curious, since the insurance company paid you.  If it is ever found does it now belong to the insurance company or will they give you a chance to buy it back from them?

Nicolas Cage received payment from his insurance company after his Action Comics #1 and other books were stolen. When Action Comics #1 was found in an abandoned storage locker, from what I've read Cage was able to regain ownership of it again after negotiating a return of the claim with the insurance company.

@lhcomics I thought you might get lucky & be able to recover the book. Sorry it didn't work out, but glad the insurance company did what it took to take care of you. As far as the seller in Chicago, no joy. Contacted the seller & he was cagey. Didn't want e-mail additional photos, didn't want to give me his phone number, or meet at a neutral location to make the sale. I always prefer meeting at a bank or credit union for large transactions. There is usually a table/chairs in the lobby, and if its a place I belong to, I'll ask the branch manager to borrow an office or conference room for an hour. Keeps things nice and professional, and both sides of the deal have a little extra warm fuzzy regarding security. Not always possible, but I've encountered very few people outright opposed to the idea. This was one of those times; guy absolutely would not agree to meet anywhere other than his address. Too many red flags for me. :(

15 minutes ago, BabaLament said:

@lhcomics I thought you might get lucky & be able to recover the book. Sorry it didn't work out, but glad the insurance company did what it took to take care of you. As far as the seller in Chicago, no joy. Contacted the seller & he was cagey. Didn't want e-mail additional photos, didn't want to give me his phone number, or meet at a neutral location to make the sale. I always prefer meeting at a bank or credit union for large transactions. There is usually a table/chairs in the lobby, and if its a place I belong to, I'll ask the branch manager to borrow an office or conference room for an hour. Keeps things nice and professional, and both sides of the deal have a little extra warm fuzzy regarding security. Not always possible, but I've encountered very few people outright opposed to the idea. This was one of those times; guy absolutely would not agree to meet anywhere other than his address. Too many red flags for me. :(

good for you.  who knows what horrors awaited you in his house....

3 hours ago, BabaLament said:

This was one of those times; guy absolutely would not agree to meet anywhere other than his address. Too many red flags for me. :(

:censored: Looks like I need a new source for that kidney.

On 2/19/2019 at 8:04 AM, lhcomics said:

Leroy

I have my books insured with CIS , and although I've never made a claim. I sure am happy to hear that they follow through with their promises. 

15 hours ago, oakman29 said:

I have my books insured with CIS , and although I've never made a claim. I sure am happy to hear that they follow through with their promises. 

If they dont-bee city.

On 2/22/2019 at 9:03 AM, BabaLament said:

Did they say why they would not do it anywhere but their own place? Only reason I can think of is they might be unable to leave the house -- disabled or something. I guess they would bring that up as a reason but if not, then yeah, sounds very sketchy. "Yeah I'll sell it to you-- just bring thousands of dollars in cash to this place. Come alone."

I wonder if it this type of information may be interest to the police who can check the seller out (or possible the cellar, this is Chicago after all). Sorry for that crass joke. I grew up in the south suburbs during the John Wayne Gacy ordeal (dozens of young boys bodies found buried in his crawl space). "Another kid in the crawl" and whatnot if you were listening to Steve Dahl and Garry Meier on The Loop FM 98 WLUP.

Edited by 01TheDude

On 2/23/2019 at 8:15 AM, oakman29 said:

I'm not saying the process was easy. You have to deal with CIS, the outside agency that CIS uses to feel you out and make your story is legit, dealing with police, police detective, people who run Wizard, people at Rosemont convention center etc. It helped that it was 1 comic and I had a police report filed and purchase receipt on the comic. Could be a nightmare if box of 100 comics stolen worth 50K trying to gather receipts. Took just over 3 months to get payment.

I also had great scans of the comic which haven't done any good at this point but one day I feel it'll turn up and be identified.

I have a friend who had a theft a couple years ago and was insured by CIS and they dropped him before paying the claim which was about half of my claim. So who knows what criteria they use to pay, cancel, increase premiums etc. 

So far I feel fortunate but I miss my comic. :(