• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Cookville Pedigree thread

43 posts in this topic

Just now, Robot Man said:

Been waiting for Mr Bedrock to start posting in these pedigree threads. Hurry up Buster, you’re getting behind!   :roflmao:

I don't have them all sorted that way so it takes a little time :p

21 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Beautiful Cookville "SN" copy here.  :luhv:

I might have missed it, but does anybody here know what the "SN" stand for?  ???

SN and NN were the initials of the two sisters who worked at the store where Leroy Mackie and his brother Jimmie bought their comics.  There were probably other family members that worked there as well.  I’ve wondered if that might account for the variations in the initials.  

When the collection was brought to market, the two sisters were still alive, but asked that their names not be revealed (I have no idea why they wanted to remain anonymous, but whatever).

Edited by walclark

3 hours ago, walclark said:

SN and NN were the initials of the two sisters who worked at the store where Leroy Mackie and his brother Jimmie bought their comics.  There were probably other family members that worked there as well.  I’ve wondered if that might account for the variations in the initials.  

When the collection was brought to market, the two sisters were still alive, but asked that their names not be revealed (I have no idea why they wanted to remain anonymous, but whatever).

Look at the Batman 24 in this picture, the "SN" is under Batman's cape.  Could it be from the same collection?  I don't know when the collection came to market but I bought the Batman 24 off eBay back in the late 1990s.

IMG_3391.jpg

Edited by batman_fan

8 hours ago, batman_fan said:

Look at the Batman 24 in this picture, the "SN" is under Batman's cape.  Could it be from the same collection?  I don't know when the collection came to market but I bought the Batman 24 off eBay back in the late 1990s.

IMG_3391.jpg

Definitely a Cookeville copy.  That SN is the most common with the big block letters in pencil.

I would have to go back and check, but I think Rick and Harry bought the collection in the late 80’s.

Wow, a ton of great info here.  I used to have some Cookeville Actions I bought from James Payette.  I did not know about the sisters or brother.  Around 13 or 14 years ago, Harry (Burntboy) and Andy (GAColllectibles) were set up at NYCC  I saw several books with Leroy's name written on them.  I never knew these were actually Cookeville copies.  

On 3/6/2019 at 5:34 PM, telerites said:

I've been curious if this is a Cookeville - the SN looks much different.

1710170932421.jpg

I would say yes.