• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

WHAT is going on with Ajax/Farrell & Superior horror comics?

103 posts in this topic

I love Farrells, absolutely love 'em. Love the Iger shop work, the colours, and the stories are great IMO. We all know EC is the benchmark but you can't really compare other publishers to EC as some sort of criticism. EC wasn't perfect. Their stories could be quite formulaic. Thank goodness there are many other different PCH publishers out there for the diversity element alone, otherwise PCH would be a pretty staid genre. And let's not forget that it is precisely because of publishers like Superior, Farrell, Standard, Story etc that PCH has exploded in value the last year or so.

Here are some of mine :x

HT004(A)%.jpg

SF005(AA)%.jpg

VOO011(AA)%.jpg

3 hours ago, jimbo_7071 said:

LOL I feel like I'm living in Ray Bradbury's "Sound of Thunder." Somebody went back in time and dropped a cigarette butt, and what was bad is now good. Mis-cut covers will be taking off next. :baiting:

There already are collectors who deliberately collect miscuts :baiting:

54 minutes ago, originalisbest said:

I'd be pretty freaked out in this scenario

Strange-Mysteries-3-Front.jpg

I don't understand why some people give these books a hard time. I think the interior art is great. Here's an example from this issue. What's wrong with this? (shrug)

11x.jpg

Just now, G G said:

I don't understand why some people give these books a hard time. I think the interior art is great. Here's an example from this issue. What's wrong with this? (shrug)

11x.jpg

Not only is there nothing wrong with it, it's great! Sigh. I guess the secret's out about these interiors -- they're all pretty consistently awesome.

On 3/18/2019 at 3:32 PM, G G said:

11x.jpg

There's nothing wrong with it; it's pretty good artwork. I've bought so few raw books over the past 19 years that I seldom think about interior art. Now that most of my comics are in transparent caskets, I freely admit that I generally judge books by their covers, and many of the Superior and Ajax/Farrel covers are poorly drawn, even when the idea is good. Many of the artists seem to have been especially challenged when it came to drawing human faces.

Edited by jimbo_7071

38 minutes ago, jimbo_7071 said:

There's nothing wrong with it; it's pretty good artwork. I've bought so few raw books over the past 19 years that I seldom think about interior art. Now that most of my comics are in transparent caskets, I freely admit that I generally judge books by their covers, and many of the Superior and Ajax/Farrel covers are poorly drawn, even when the idea is good. Many of the artists seem to have been especially challenged when it came to drawing human faces.

I personally like the colourful cartooney element of Farrell covers. Whatever your preference it seems the market speaks for us in terms of what is regarded as desirable. And Farrells are now officially desirable. All my Farrells have not been cheap. :whistle: