• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Present and Future Value of Pure Gold and Silver Comic Cover Replicas

33 posts in this topic

I was wondering what other people think about the present and future value of comic cover replicas that are minted in either 99.9% pure gold or 99.9% pure silver. I'm specifically referring to the new Marvel Classic Comics Gold and Silver Foil Covers Series (DC Comics also has covers minted in 99.9% pure silver). Granted that the covers are composed of either 99.9% pure gold or 99.9% pure silver the only thing that you are getting is a reproduction of the original cover. If the medium were paper instead of metal we would call it a reprint and with certain exceptions reprints usually aren't worth the paper that they are printed on. But we're not talking about paper here we're talking about metal, specifically gold and silver. Does that mean that the value of these items will be influenced by stock market conditions the way gold and silver generally are? Certainly the fact that the production run of the Gold Foil Covers and the Silver Foil Covers is strictly limited to 100 and 1000 copies respectively, and that some copies are CGC Certified, adds to the uniqueness of these covers. But maybe it's the uniqueness of these covers that makes their long-term value difficult to judge, especially when using paper reprints, or even variant covers as a reference point. What do you think?

Serious question, as I don't know: has anything the Franklin Mint produced ever risen in value in the 55 years they've been in business?

If not, there's the answer: manufactured "rarities" aren't valuable because people have no connection to them. 

It's the stuff that we knew at a young age, the stuff that was casual, every day, and commonplace, which we used and abused and mostly threw away, that has value to us as we get older, because it has the uncanny ability to transport us back to those moments, and due to the magic of forgetfulness, we usually only remember the good and the really good.

Capturing that feeling is what makes us pay stupid money for these ephemeral pieces of mostly bad literature. ;) 

My grandmother loved Franklin Mint . The problem? No one got to examine it, admire it, use it. It got stuck on the wall, or stayed in its box, because my grandmother was afraid her "investment" would be damaged by little fingers...which was probably true.

What kid is going to have any connection with things that can "look at, but don't touch!"

None. 

So, when she died, we were left with...junk that no one wanted, because nobody cared. Money down the drain. 

4 hours ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

My grandmother loved Franklin Mint . The problem? No one got to examine it, admire it, use it. It got stuck on the wall, or stayed in its box, because my grandmother was afraid her "investment" would be damaged by little fingers...which was probably true.

What kid is going to have any connection with things that can "look at, but don't touch!"

None. 

So, when she died, we were left with...junk that no one wanted, because nobody cared. Money down the drain. 

My grandma collected collectible porcelain dolls from the home shopping network. They sat in her multiple huge display cases my entire life. When she passed, well, years after she passed when grandpa was ready to part with them, we realized they were completely worthless. Couldn’t even sell them at a yard sale. He had to give them away. Most of the collection ended up at Goodwill because the collection was simply so huge all of grandmas kids and grandkids combined couldn’t split it up among themselves 

48 minutes ago, dupont2005 said:

My grandma collected collectible porcelain dolls from the home shopping network. They sat in her multiple huge display cases my entire life. When she passed, well, years after she passed when grandpa was ready to part with them, we realized they were completely worthless. Couldn’t even sell them at a yard sale. He had to give them away. Most of the collection ended up at Goodwill because the collection was simply so huge all of grandmas kids and grandkids combined couldn’t split it up among themselves 

A good lesson. If it makes you happy, it makes you happy, but never expect a return on investment, and always have a contingency plan in place so your heirs aren't stuck with mounds of worthless junk after you go. 

Easier said than done. ;)

17 hours ago, Tamangocgc said:

I was wondering what other people think about the present and future value of comic cover replicas that are minted in either 99.9% pure gold or 99.9% pure silver. I'm specifically referring to the new Marvel Classic Comics Gold and Silver Foil Covers Series (DC Comics also has covers minted in 99.9% pure silver). Granted that the covers are composed of either 99.9% pure gold or 99.9% pure silver the only thing that you are getting is a reproduction of the original cover. If the medium were paper instead of metal we would call it a reprint and with certain exceptions reprints usually aren't worth the paper that they are printed on. But we're not talking about paper here we're talking about metal, specifically gold and silver. Does that mean that the value of these items will be influenced by stock market conditions the way gold and silver generally are? Certainly the fact that the production run of the Gold Foil Covers and the Silver Foil Covers is strictly limited to 100 and 1000 copies respectively, and that some copies are CGC Certified, adds to the uniqueness of these covers. But maybe it's the uniqueness of these covers that makes their long-term value difficult to judge, especially when using paper reprints, or even variant covers as a reference point. What do you think?

Another drive by shouting poster?

10 minutes ago, Karl Liebl said:

I don't think he was shouting.  He asked a question and got some great answers, although maybe not the ones he was looking for.

Anyone who comes here, makes one post asking some goofy question and never posts again gets the drive by shouting moniker.  :rulez:

7 minutes ago, 1950's war comics said:

WHY??????????????????????????????

1 minute ago, Karl Liebl said:
8 minutes ago, kav said:

WHY??????????????????????????????

Because it's more fun to look at and admire than a comic book?  Ohh wait, its not...

It'll cost a penny for your thoughts! 2c