• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How many Amazing Spider-Man #252's do you have?
3 3

37 posts in this topic

My story about this comic:  I had a subscription to ASM from issue 169 to 251 (or so I thought) from age 10-17.  When I "re-discovered" my comics about 5 years ago I had made a list that was on top of ASM stack that ended in #251.  Then I discovered 252 was a minor key and thought "well, that sucks", but after digging in I found there was in fact a 252 at the bottom of the pile!  Since it was on the bottom (and not bagged and boarded) the top left corner is a little soft but other than that it's in great shape and I was excited to find it!  It is my one and final ASM copy!

10 hours ago, Callaway29 said:

Huh, I expected many to post double digits...

This.  

When I got out of comics in 2001 to focus more on collecting Original comic art, I knew several people within the greater Toronto area who owned a dozen or more copies of ASM 252.  It was (then) still a very common book, and easy to find in very high grade.

flash forward to 2019, and here I am dipping my toes back into collecting comics, seeking out ASM’s.  Been looking for very high grade copies of ASM 252’s and the supply has dwindled substantially (at least locally), and the comic stores and local conventions have copies, but the raw ones are no better than a NM- 9.2, and there are a few slabbed ones in 9.4 for double guide, and I did see one slabbed in 9.8 with Stan Lee sig for $1.4k, but still, far less copies.

ive noticed similar with ASM 238, and 239...I guess the copies became dispersed over the years, but folks still seem to think that collectors from back in the day are sitting on 10, 20, 50 copies, but the truth is, they aren’t, and this is reflected in rising prices for nice copies.

i mean, ASM 238 ain’t as hot or as popular as ASM 238, but it continues to move upwards price-wise.

and a nice ASM 252 in 9.8 will run you $700 these days which sounds kind of high for a book that many still perceive as ‘common’

Edited by jjonahjameson11

On 2/27/2019 at 7:24 AM, ThothAmon said:

When the book came out I bought 50 from Empire Comics in Rochester. Been in many collections I’ve purchased. Sold many of them over the years on EBay too. 

Do you remember when it released exactly! Was it around March or April '84? Was there anything about the black costume before this & Marvel team-up hit the stands? I don't think there was so I guess it was a total surprise to everyone 

I have just one 9.8 Stan sig. I had another yellow label with 5 sigs but sold it

Edited by MGsimba77

On 2/27/2019 at 9:04 AM, obiedagod said:
On 2/27/2019 at 4:24 AM, ThothAmon said:

When the book came out I bought 50 from Empire Comics in Rochester. Been in many collections I’ve purchased. Sold many of them over the years on EBay too. 

Woah

That's rather interesting as I knew a comic book broker who had started out as a National coin dealer back in the day.

Being a coin collector who was used to collecting rolls of coins, he told me that he had purchased 50 copies of ASM 252 when it first came out.  Got the feeling that he must have turfed them out in the end or gave them away as Halloween treats since they had never gone up in value by then after all those long years.  lol

On ‎3‎/‎4‎/‎2019 at 11:37 AM, makeminemarvel said:

My story about this comic:  I had a subscription to ASM from issue 169 to 251 (or so I thought) from age 10-17.  When I "re-discovered" my comics about 5 years ago I had made a list that was on top of ASM stack that ended in #251.  Then I discovered 252 was a minor key and thought "well, that sucks", but after digging in I found there was in fact a 252 at the bottom of the pile!  Since it was on the bottom (and not bagged and boarded) the top left corner is a little soft but other than that it's in great shape and I was excited to find it!  It is my one and final ASM copy!

My story about this comic. Amazing Spiderman was one of the books I arranged to have put away for me on a monthly basis. I never did keep track of what came out each month and I never did get a copy of 252 put away. I didn't realize it until 253 came out. When I asked for my copy, there were none to be had. That really rubbed me the wrong way. To date, I have an in complete run from 191 - 514. I'm missing about 4 different, and I never did get that Amazing Spiderman 252. Someone out there still has my copy. Let this be an opportunity for that individual (whomever he may be) to come clean.I'll send you my mailing address ... no questions asked.

18 hours ago, MGsimba77 said:

Do you remember when it released exactly! Was it around March or April '84? Was there anything about the black costume before this & Marvel team-up hit the stands? I don't think there was so I guess it was a total surprise to everyone 

I have just one 9.8 Stan sig. I had another yellow label with 5 sigs but sold it

This issue came out February 2, 1984. Marvel Team-up #141 came out 3 weeks later. I was only able to pick up a total of 3 copies from LCS. Most shops had a limit of one copy per customer. Three weeks later I was able to snap up 10 more copies from the newsstands. :cloud9:

6 hours ago, mr_highgrade said:

This issue came out February 2, 1984. Marvel Team-up #141 came out 3 weeks later. I was only able to pick up a total of 3 copies from LCS. Most shops had a limit of one copy per customer. Three weeks later I was able to snap up 10 more copies from the newsstands. :cloud9:

Ok thanks! I suppose people must have had an inkling of something important in 252 since there was a limit imposed on comic shops? I mean I guess some people might have seen the original black costume sketch with the red spider but I can't imagine too many readers saw that? Seeing that cover for the first time had to have been like a shock on the visual senses to some fans not expecting it!!! Good times! I was just 3 :(

5 minutes ago, MGsimba77 said:

Ok thanks! I suppose people must have had an inkling of something important in 252 since there was a limit imposed on comic shops? I mean I guess some people might have seen the original black costume sketch with the red spider but I can't imagine too many readers saw that? Seeing that cover for the first time had to have been like a shock on the visual senses to some fans not expecting it!!! Good times! I was just 3 :(

I knew ahead of time that it was coming out. I think I read it somewhere in The Comics Buyers Guide. hm

11 hours ago, mr_highgrade said:

I knew ahead of time that it was coming out. I think I read it somewhere in The Comics Buyers Guide. hm

Yeah I am pretty that was where I knew about it.  I had been a subscriber since the Alan Light days when it was just the TBG - The Buyer's Guide to Comics Fandom.  The tabloid issues were great.  Sadly I tossed boxes and boxes of them.  I had almost the entire run :sorry: