• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moving My Collection
2 2

55 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, oakman29 said:

I dont care how many books are in a collection I wouldnt let anyone touch my books.(shrug)

+1.   This, right here.  Why take the chance? Best way to thwart a thief is to not create the opportunity for someone to steal from you in the first place. Remove that opportunity and 99% of the threats are gone.

My suggestions after surviving moving my rather large collection cross country.

1) while most movers are scum,  The Service providers are historically outstanding.

2) Have a garage sale or just give stuff away. Declutter and Downsize. I wish I had sold much more.

3) For decent protection, put a box top on both top and bottom and tape it closed. Now put a large garbage bag over it and duct tape the bag.

For better protect, use a comic drawer box. 

4) Tip a bit up front. It's well worth it.

5) Try not to stress out.  

I moved from the Midwest to the East Coast a few years ago. I have been collecting comics since 1974 so to say my collection is huge is an understatement. Thank goodness I did not let the movers move my books. I contracted with Mayflower, a large national moving company. I paid $5,000. As someone earlier mentioned, they sub-contract the work out to others. The movers were scum of the Earth and it was an unmitigated disaster. It took two weeks for my stuff to show up. Half my furniture was damaged and boxes of important things like family photos simply vanished. I had to sue for damages, which was stressful, expensive and time consuming. I can only imagine what they would have done with my collection.

With the comic books, before I moved I pulled out a couple of boxes of the best stuff and kept those with me as I was driving my car to my new city. The rest of the books went into a climate controlled storage facility in my old city, which made me nervous, but I could not think of a better solution until I was settled in the new city. Months later, the storage place called to tell me some emergency sprinklers had accidentally been turned on, but it was not close to my storage locker so they did not think there was damage. It still drove me crazy. As soon as I could I made arrangements to fly back to my old city with an incredibly nice new friend. We rented a medium-sized Penske truck, loaded up all of the comics, which were not damaged by the water, and drove to my new city. It was exhausting but it felt great to be reunited with my comics.

In summary, don’t let national moving companies touch your comic books, even if they are secured. Those companies are basically criminals. Also, be careful about storage lockers. I would wrap every box in plastic garbage bags if I ever have to use one again.

Regards,

Gardner

Take one short box of the good stuff, sell the rest.  I have moved a 30 long box collection 2x now and will never do it again.  Sell and start over when you get cross country.

When I moved to Florida, I rented a Ryder truck and packed all the items myself. I also drove the truck the entire way there. Upon arrival at my new location, I was very pleased to discover not one thing had been damaged. When I moved back, I paid a moving service to haul my stuff, but I still packed it myself. Long story short, over half my stuff arrived damaged. A total bummer...

1 hour ago, Pirate said:

Take one short box of the good stuff, sell the rest.  I have moved a 30 long box collection 2x now and will never do it again.  Sell and start over when you get cross country.

meh

2 hours ago, GACollectibles said:

Two years ago I used this company to move three 46x46x47 crates worth of product.  Crates get dropped off at your home(in this case staged into the garage), you fill/secure them and then arrange pickup. A few days later they arrive at new destination.  I highly recommend this service.  If you have any questions, PM me.

YouCrate.com

The crate is held securely together by clips that pop off with screwdriver or claw hammer, you can take one side off if desired but I took all of them off so I could shrinkwrap the product to secure it.  The company was pleasant to deal with, very accommodating with schedule and the product was exactly in the same condition as when it left.  I shipped everything from longboxes to slabs and misc boxes as well.

IMG_3652.thumb.JPG.860c93d0bec92cf41f4fb1029f81230c.JPGIMG_3662.thumb.JPG.bcf6866c8bc36ce159ba4864f7326bd7.JPGIMG_3668.JPG.68c7a89bb6918b093f69ae30596c3b3a.JPG

This is something I'll look into.  I might ask a friend if its possible to leave it here and come get it after completing the move also.  I've heard the horror stories of military moves from many people.  So far I've only had some minor issues in my moves but really don't want to risk it this time.  The good stuff will definitely be coming with me, but fitting 4K plus of comics in my car isn't an option so I really appreciate all the feedback. 

From my moving days, I have never hired a moving company to handle my comic book collection and my personal stuff. I did al of that myself with my van or rent a box truck. I just don’t like the thoughts of my comic  books being by strangers whom I didn’t know. Call me paranoid but it’s who I am. 

All were fine every time I drove with my boxes, I treat my trip with care. One time I did use greyhound courier service to ship my personal stuff (not my comics) back to my old hometown.  Guess what, two boxes were crushed a bit by someone who must had tossed a heavy box on top of my boxes. Lucky, nothing were broken. 

I will be moving out again soon, doing the same old routine. By myself

Just now, BlowUpTheMoon said:

Well, telling the dude to sell off his collection isn't the best advice. 

That's your opinion.  Still no need to be an individual_without_enough_empathy