• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Share The Mignola Art From Your Personal Collection
3 3

143 posts in this topic

Incredible stuff guys! Thank you everyone for posting. Definitely keep ‘em coming.

Can someone help shed some light on Mignola’s sketch prices? I know that he often attends cons with a pre drawn portfolio of sketches. It seems like his pencil Hellboy bust type sketches are about $300 (I’m assuming slightly less for non Hellboy related items across the board) and about $500 for the same bust style sketches with inks. Once we start moving towards full figures how much are we talking? Ditto for color pieces, (if that’s even a thing that happens)? Also, what size paper are we talking for these? How many pieces of art are typically for sale in his portfolio? 

Any information that would help me prep, would be great.

Thanks!!

6 minutes ago, ZimmermanTelegram said:

Incredible stuff guys! Thank you everyone for posting. Definitely keep ‘em coming.

Can someone help shed some light on Mignola’s sketch prices? I know that he often attends cons with a pre drawn portfolio of sketches. It seems like his pencil Hellboy bust type sketches are about $300 (I’m assuming slightly less for non Hellboy related items across the board) and about $500 for the same bust style sketches with inks. Once we start moving towards full figures how much are we talking? Ditto for color pieces, (if that’s even a thing that happens)? Also, what size paper are we talking for these? How many pieces of art are typically for sale in his portfolio? 

Thanks!!

It has been two years since I saw him but here you go. Usually has sketches but sometimes has pages/covers. Sketches are $300 and up with Hellboy more expensive. I don't recall them going over $600 or $700 in 2017 but mostly $300-$500 IIRC. No color  that I have ever seen. He had most of a portfolio full in 2017, so about 20+ or so,  weird sizes but relatively small, 6X9 or so, definitely smaller than 8.5x11.

He is very personalble and fun to talk to. I brought my artist daughter (she goes to Pratt for fine arts painting) and asked him a bunch of leading questions that he answered thoroughly. Like "you're skulls aren't really skulls, just an idea of what a skull is distilled to its'simpler parts...how do you know when to stop on something like that, how to distill it down?" Then we went and talked to John Leguizamo who was there promoting his GN Freak and she was more amazed that I could just ask him about his stand-up even though Mignola was the prize that day!!!

36 minutes ago, ZimmermanTelegram said:

Can someone help shed some light on Mignola’s sketch prices?

uhh, the march of time... The last time I encountered him was at Baltimore con 2013 and at that time he had non-Hellboy pieces for as little as $100-150 and pencil Hellboy head sketches for $250. That's where I picked up the Lobster Johnson 'claw guy' sketch I posted above for $100 (and its on 8.5"x11" paper).  I wish I had snapped up a few more pieces when I had the chance.  Anthony Snyder was behind me and cleaned out his portfolio and immediately sold pieces for double and triple Mignola's prices... 

36 minutes ago, MIL0S said:

uhh, the march of time... The last time I encountered him was at Baltimore con 2013 and at that time he had non-Hellboy pieces for as little as $100-150 and pencil Hellboy head sketches for $250. That's where I picked up the Lobster Johnson 'claw guy' sketch I posted above for $100 (and its on 8.5"x11" paper).  I wish I had snapped up a few more pieces when I had the chance.  Anthony Snyder was behind me and cleaned out his portfolio and immediately sold pieces for double and triple Mignola's prices... 

Awesome story man - lobster Johnson May be my favorite hero side character ... Anthony Snyder ... yeah sounds like how he operates  

35 minutes ago, Dayzen said:

Anybody get anything from Heritage? Prices seemed reasonable for the pages. I should have bid. I thought they would go higher. 

The pages I was looking at end today. The Shadow cover for $21K is a surprise to me.

20 minutes ago, Bird said:

The pages I was looking at end today. The Shadow cover for $21K is a surprise to me.

Agreed. Especially with the Anung Page only going for a little more. Good luck tonight! 

Anybody got some Dracula pages to show? 

On 2/21/2019 at 9:24 AM, ZimmermanTelegram said:

Thanks!!

he brought some smaller, cheaper stuff to torpedo con last year. if youre on the west coast, he might show up there again in july. he wasnt on the official roster there, just came by. 

22 minutes ago, www.alexgross.com said:

he brought some smaller, cheaper stuff to torpedo con last year. if youre on the west coast, he might show up there again in july. he wasnt on the official roster there, just came by. 

I didn’t know Mike was there until I saw his photo on Anthony Snyder’s email newsletter. How was one to know he was selling art? Did he set up at a booth? Did one have to approach him?