• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New Marvel Labels
2 2

97 posts in this topic

Was right about to post this! Bout damn time they get around to this!!! :banana: If they look good I'll be sending a ton of reholders that's for sure! Unfortunately they don't have X-Men yet :(

Real curious to see what the yellow labels look like & if they'll offer an updated Stan Lee SS Marvel label but I doubt it

Stuff like this is just personal preference, so all opinions are equally valid....

BUT...for myself...I found value to the Stan Lee label - as it was only available on books Stan Lee had signed. And I found a little bit of value to the Walking Dead label - the zombie one - because there aren't enough zomibies on the cover of a lot of Walking Dead books. 

But if I'm sending in say Captain America comic book for slabbing, HOPEFULLY the comic book has a lot nicer cover than whatever drawing they squeeze onto the much smaller label.  

I don't see a problem with it if people like it, but charging $5 for a tiny strip of ink and paper is brilliantly devious.

1 minute ago, mattn792 said:

Heard that, have to admire the profit margin on the custom labels.

I mean, it's bold, right? That is an insane amount of money to charge for a tiny strip of paper with printing on it. Unless they're paying some insane licensing fee to Marvel to use the images. But even still...five bucks? That's, like, an obscene amount of money for what you're getting. But if people will pay it, CGC should laugh all the way to the bank. Free market and all that, more power to it. I've spent five bucks on dumber stuff, to be sure.

4 minutes ago, F For Fake said:

I mean, it's bold, right? That is an insane amount of money to charge for a tiny strip of paper with printing on it. Unless they're paying some insane licensing fee to Marvel to use the images. But even still...five bucks? That's, like, an obscene amount of money for what you're getting. But if people will pay it, CGC should laugh all the way to the bank. Free market and all that, more power to it. I've spent five bucks on dumber stuff, to be sure.

People spend $10+ on a box of 20-count 4"-long paper cylinders full of poison that they can suck into their lungs with fire, effectively committing years worth of suicide, so...

1 minute ago, F For Fake said:

That's a good point regarding licensing, I would agree they probably have to pay something, but probably not $4.75 worth of something. 

I do think this would be cool on certain books, I know if they introduced a Wolverine label I'd probably like to get it for my #1 and #145 gold foil (because that's the book that got me back into comics).  But it doesn't hold the same appeal as the Stan Lee labels, largely because there will be no more Stan labels.  What's out there is it.

But these could potentially be perpetual since characters NEVER die in the Marvel Universe, ergo more scratch for the bottom line year over year.

20 minutes ago, F For Fake said:

So now that people have had many of their books recently re-holdered for the new slab, here's another reason to resubmit.

Brilliant marketing move.

Edited by bc
there/their/they're issue- grammar failure #895