• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New Marvel Labels
2 2

97 posts in this topic

27 minutes ago, Iceman399 said:

I can't wait for CGC to start offering incentive variant labels :banana: 

Lord help us if they start offering blank labels...

”Dude, this one came back a 2900.0!  Gem Mint got nothin’ on me.”

’You wrote that in crayon.’

”Blank label bro, all legit!”

2 minutes ago, mattn792 said:

Think foil kav.  Foil everywhere...  :whatthe:

Yeah I'll buy when all the pages are foil-

On 6/28/2019 at 3:59 PM, Kon_Jelly said:

The new labels just reinforce my opinion that the Spider-Man label is way too busy. I just don't understand why the Red Goblin is on there. 

I tried it out, you can't really see goblin behind that holo sticker.

sm.jpg.a0ce580b9d924701903ebe006db6c1c3.jpg

On 3/10/2019 at 1:16 PM, Kevlar said:

Here's my problem with these new labels and it's something that I just learned a month ago.

The problem is that these are limited editions. If you pay the fee for the custom label and down the road you need to reholder it you won't get the new label again even though you paid for it. Had a customer who paid for the Stan Lee label a few years back and they sent in a book to get cracked out and have a signature added. Well since CGC no longer offers the Stan Lee label they got the book back without the Stan label and they were pissed because no one ever told them the full details on these labels that if they were to ever go our of print you wouldn't be able to get the label again.

Lets say you go to sell a book down the road and it has the customer Spider-Man label and the slab gets damaged in shipping...you can't get the SM label. Or you have this as a yellow label and eventually want to crack the slab to add someone else.

If you pay for a custom label you should ALWAYS have that label going forward on that book even if no new books can get that label. 2c

Your scenario could happen if the contract between CGC and Marvel expires and is not renewed.

That's what happened to the Stan Lee contract. That's why they can't use his name or likeness on the labels currently. There is still a chance this will change.

I think CGC should offer a $5 credit for any book that can't be given the same label upon reholdering. 

-----------

I like the option of the label because you don't have to get it if you don't want it. However, if used properly I think the label adds more than $5 value to the slab. Slabs with Stan Lee labels carry a premium right now. 

It was a great idea by CGC. Imagine how many Hulk 181s will be reholdered to get a Wolverine label. 

21 hours ago, CanadianGothic said:

Your scenario could happen if the contract between CGC and Marvel expires and is not renewed.

That's what happened to the Stan Lee contract. That's why they can't use his name or likeness on the labels currently. There is still a chance this will change.

I think CGC should offer a $5 credit for any book that can't be given the same label upon reholdering. 

-----------

I like the option of the label because you don't have to get it if you don't want it. However, if used properly I think the label adds more than $5 value to the slab. Slabs with Stan Lee labels carry a premium right now. 

It was a great idea by CGC. Imagine how many Hulk 181s will be reholdered to get a Wolverine label. 

Shouldn't matter. I can understand about labels going forward, but if I've already purchased the custom label I should be able to have that label on that book in perpetuity IMO.

Edited by Kevlar

28 minutes ago, Kevlar said:

Shouldn't matter. I can understand about labels going forward, but if I've already purchased the custom label I should be able to have that label on that book in perpetuity IMO.

It matters because they no longer are licensed to issue the label.

When I first was offered to have a special Stan Lee yellow label, I jumped at the chance. But when I saw it, it was not as attractive as I was expecting. It was not a photo of him, but an artists rendering of him. And the artist is J. Scott Campbell. So, if you're not a fan of his work, then the Stan Lee label is not worth your money. This applies to some of the new Avengers labels they've announced, some drawn by Clayton Crain, etc. So this is something to consider for either your own PC or selling to the market.

17 hours ago, Kevlar said:

Again...if a book already has the label then they sold it with permission and you should be able to maintain your purchase in perpetuity.

Obviously, they have to follow what was in the agreement with Stan Lee and allowing them to use his likeness and name on a label in perpetuity was not part of the agreement.