New Marvel Labels
3 3

73 posts in this topic

8,032 posts
Posted (edited)
53 minutes ago, mattn792 said:
2 hours ago, www.alexgross.com said:

how about instead of some silly gimmick like a new label, CGC just hire more staff so turnaround times aren't so terribly slow?

“silly gimmick” = new revenue stream

new revenue stream = more staff (?)

hm

They've been trying to hire new people :foryou: 

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,254 posts
On 3/8/2019 at 10:25 PM, MGsimba77 said:

Agreed! They won't do it but depicting the characters in a more accurate way in accordance with different artists over the ages would be great. Particularly with X-Men assuming they even do X-Men. A GSXM with a vintage themed artwork label would look great imo

Wish they would think about this more strategically than using specialized pre-printed labels like they did with the Stan Lee versions. This could also address the limited availability of the labels as noted by @Kevlar above.

As a book is processed by CGC, data is entered that is eventually printed into the bar code/label as well as being accessible as grader's notes or simple serial number verification's thru the main web site. Here's a thread with the most info I've seen on the CGC barcodes (nerd warning):

 

 

This data is input into their system before the label is printed. This data feeds into the census, registry and many parts of the value-added services CGC offers compared to the competition.

So they could have a library of content/age appropriate images that could be linked to an existing field(s) of the data.

They could then print an appropriate image on the label with no additional ongoing labor cost or delays in the process. Not just use a pre-printed label with character-X on it, but leverage the power of their data and systems to incorporate this into even more of a competitive branding advantage.

-bc

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45,851 posts

Can I get a Liefeld label with POUCHES?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,254 posts
56 minutes ago, kav said:

Can I get a Liefeld label with POUCHES?

Yes, but forget about feet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45,851 posts
1 minute ago, bc said:

Yes, but forget about feet.

If Liefeld can forget about feet, so can I I guess.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,095 posts
2 hours ago, kav said:

Can I get a Liefeld label with POUCHES?

When you can figure out that Spidey can't crawl up walls with his hands while holding books ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45,851 posts
28 minutes ago, MGsimba77 said:

When you can figure out that Spidey can't crawl up walls with his hands while holding books ;)

Just tell me how his power goes thru boot soles but nothing else and I'm down.  (I'd also like an explanation of how a spider gave him that ability since spiders dont have that ability)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45,851 posts

-I mean its kind of like someone gets bit by radioactive dog therefore they can breathe underwater.  NON SEQUITER

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,095 posts
1 hour ago, kav said:

Just tell me how his power goes thru boot soles but nothing else and I'm down.  (I'd also like an explanation of how a spider gave him that ability since spiders dont have that ability)

Ok apologies for the momentary off topic here guys.

Most of this explanation was included in the link I gave you in the other thread but hopefully this video can help you. If you FF to the 5 minute mark he goes into how the van der waals forces penetrate the layer of the costume's gloves & soles. BTW the boot soles of the costume are not any thicker than the rest of it so it's not like he's climbing thru cowboy boots soles. Anyways here's a very nerdy and scientific explanation!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45,851 posts
Just now, MGsimba77 said:

Ok apologies for the momentary off topic here guys.

Most of this explanation was included in the link I gave you in the other thread but hopefully this video can help you. If you FF to the 5 minute mark he goes into how the van der waals forces penetrate the layer of the costume's gloves & soles. BTW the boot soles of the costume are not any thicker than the rest of it so it's not like he's climbing thru cowboy boots soles. Anyways here's a very nerdy and scientific explanation!

 

If you watch the movies the soles are clearly 1/2" thick or so.  Definitely thicker than costume!  (If not holes would wear thru pretty fast.  Try running across rooftops etc in socks and see how long they last) So youre saying the VDW forces would penetrate if he taped 1/2" books to his feet.  Ps VDW forces work only at micron distances.....and spiders dont use em so....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,095 posts
1 minute ago, kav said:

If you watch the movies the soles are clearly 1/2" thick or so.  Definitely thicker than costume!  (If not holes would wear thru pretty fast.  Try running across rooftops etc in socks and see how long they last) So youre saying the VDW forces would penetrate if he taped 1/2" books to his feet.  Ps VDW forces work only at micron distances.....and spiders dont use em so....

Just watch the video

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45,851 posts
1 minute ago, MGsimba77 said:

Just watch the video

So....anyone wearin his suit could stick.  Yeah no.  Also geckos self clean.  This suit would quickly pick up debris, just like tape, and rapidly lose stickiness.  Look he said this material actually exists so why has no one stuck to walls with it.  This guy is worse at science than Bill Nye the (Has no degree in) science guy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,095 posts
27 minutes ago, kav said:

If you watch the movies the soles are clearly 1/2" thick or so.  Definitely thicker than costume! 

The movies take liberties. It took me a little while to find this panel from ASM annual #1 but it indicates his boots or shoes are like socks and can be folded. The movies gave him what looked like shoe soles. 

The costume is designed to interact with his clinging powers so obviously it wouldn't work with just anyone. It's just a comic book character that requires some imagination from the reader. Just go with it!

RCO065_1468803120.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45,851 posts
1 minute ago, MGsimba77 said:

The movies take liberties. It took me a little while to find this panel from ASM annual #1 but it indicates his boots or shoes are like socks and can be folded. The movies gave him what looked like shoe soles. 

The costume is designed to interact with his clinging powers so obviously it wouldn't work with just anyone. It's just a comic book character that requires some imagination from the reader. Just go with it!

RCO065_1468803120.jpg

I'm going with it!  Look he can make web fluid why not extremely durable socks??

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,095 posts
1 minute ago, kav said:

I'm going with it!  Look he can make web fluid why not extremely durable socks??

YYYAAAAYYYYY!!!!! :banana::banana::whee::whee:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45,851 posts
3 minutes ago, MGsimba77 said:

YYYAAAAYYYYY!!!!! :banana::banana::whee::whee:

You win!  It was quite a battle tho-

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45,851 posts
13 minutes ago, MGsimba77 said:

YYYAAAAYYYYY!!!!! :banana::banana::whee::whee:

Dont know if you're a fan of JP Sears but-separated at birth?  hm

Screenshot 2019-03-10 at 6.34.58 PM.png

Screenshot 2019-03-10 at 6.35.48 PM.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,577 posts
11 hours ago, Kevlar said:

Here's my problem with these new labels and it's something that I just learned a month ago.

 

The problem is that these are limited editions. If you pay the fee for the custom label and down the road you need to reholder it you won't get the new label again even though you paid for it. Had a customer who paid for the Stan Lee label a few years back and they sent in a book to get cracked out and have a signature added. Well since CGC no longer offers the Stan Lee label they got the book back without the Stan label and they were pissed because no one ever told them the full details on these labels that if they were to ever go our of print you wouldn't be able to get the label again.

 

Lets say you go to sell a book down the road and it has the customer Spider-Man label and the slab gets damaged in shipping...you can't get the SM label. Or you have this as a yellow label and eventually want to crack the slab to add someone else.

 

If you pay for a custom label you should ALWAYS have that label going forward on that book even if no new books can get that label. 2c

@Kevlar Lesson learned here. Don’t get the label unless the book is maxed out. That’s a bad move on CGCs part IMHO. I won’t be buying as many as originally planned.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,095 posts
19 hours ago, jason4 said:

I want a thanos label for my iron man 55 since he’s not on the cover.

That'd be cool! I think he's barely in the book just in a flashback panel. It's been so long since I read it can hardly remember.

A Venom version could possibly work for ASM 300 or LP #1 if they were so inclined

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
143 posts
15 hours ago, Kevlar said:

Here's my problem with these new labels and it's something that I just learned a month ago.

 

The problem is that these are limited editions. If you pay the fee for the custom label and down the road you need to reholder it you won't get the new label again even though you paid for it. Had a customer who paid for the Stan Lee label a few years back and they sent in a book to get cracked out and have a signature added. Well since CGC no longer offers the Stan Lee label they got the book back without the Stan label and they were pissed because no one ever told them the full details on these labels that if they were to ever go our of print you wouldn't be able to get the label again.

 

Lets say you go to sell a book down the road and it has the customer Spider-Man label and the slab gets damaged in shipping...you can't get the SM label. Or you have this as a yellow label and eventually want to crack the slab to add someone else.

 

If you pay for a custom label you should ALWAYS have that label going forward on that book even if no new books can get that label. 2c

Completely agree.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
3 3