New Marvel Labels
3 3

73 posts in this topic

3,747 posts

I like the idea of putting characters on labels that first appear in a book but aren't on the cover itself, I would be all over those types of character labels. It could add to curbside appeal. Think doctor Strange Tales 110. I don't have a copy but sure would be cool idea. Sure there are countless other examples. Iron Man 55 as mentioned above is a great one.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
707 posts
Posted (edited)

I saw a picture of the spiderman one in hand. Does anyone have examples of cap and iron man in-hand?

Edited by jason4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11,517 posts
Posted (edited)
On 3/11/2019 at 12:14 PM, 1p36DSA said:

I like the idea of putting characters on labels that first appear in a book but aren't on the cover itself, I would be all over those types of character labels. It could add to curbside appeal. Think doctor Strange Tales 110. I don't have a copy but sure would be cool idea. Sure there are countless other examples. Iron Man 55 as mentioned above is a great one.  

Hey that's a great idea!  I like it! It makes up for a character not introduced on the cover for the very first time, but might not be possible because it limits the amount of books that can be slabbed (that one issue) instead of a series of issues with that character on it.  Also, I think CGC is limited to only a handful of custom labels they can produce. I don't see them making a custom label for every character, that would be nuts hehe.

Edited by Dark Knight

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 posts

HI all, I just sold a Spider-man Annual #16, 9.4 on eBay.  It went for about $66.  The average for this book at 9.4 over the last 5 or so auctions has been $87.  One of the differences...well, the only difference, is that my book had one of the Captain Marvel labels.  Could the labels with images actually be LESS desirable?  The price may of course be because of other issues, but still, what do you think?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
707 posts
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, cpauer said:

HI all, I just sold a Spider-man Annual #16, 9.4 on eBay.  It went for about $66.  The average for this book at 9.4 over the last 5 or so auctions has been $87.  One of the differences...well, the only difference, is that my book had one of the Captain Marvel labels.  Could the labels with images actually be LESS desirable?  The price may of course be because of other issues, but still, what do you think?

I think maybe because the new label is not the new captain marvel that appears in that book?

Personally I would pay a small premium (30 ish bux) for a book I want if it has the cool label...ie..avengers 4 with the cap label looks sick imo. 

Edited by jason4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,845 posts
4 hours ago, cpauer said:

HI all, I just sold a Spider-man Annual #16, 9.4 on eBay.  It went for about $66.  The average for this book at 9.4 over the last 5 or so auctions has been $87.  One of the differences...well, the only difference, is that my book had one of the Captain Marvel labels.  Could the labels with images actually be LESS desirable?  The price may of course be because of other issues, but still, what do you think?

Well, neither a label featuring a character that has nothing to do with the book nor a terrible auction title are likely to help the sale. The timing doesn't seem great, either.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,845 posts
On 3/10/2019 at 1:55 PM, bc said:

Wish they would think about this more strategically than using specialized pre-printed labels like they did with the Stan Lee versions.

You know that all of CGC's different types of labels are pre-printed, right?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,845 posts
On 3/10/2019 at 12:16 PM, Kevlar said:

Here's my problem with these new labels and it's something that I just learned a month ago.

 

The problem is that these are limited editions. If you pay the fee for the custom label and down the road you need to reholder it you won't get the new label again even though you paid for it. Had a customer who paid for the Stan Lee label a few years back and they sent in a book to get cracked out and have a signature added. Well since CGC no longer offers the Stan Lee label they got the book back without the Stan label and they were pissed because no one ever told them the full details on these labels that if they were to ever go our of print you wouldn't be able to get the label again.

 

Lets say you go to sell a book down the road and it has the customer Spider-Man label and the slab gets damaged in shipping...you can't get the SM label. Or you have this as a yellow label and eventually want to crack the slab to add someone else.

 

If you pay for a custom label you should ALWAYS have that label going forward on that book even if no new books can get that label. 2c

I agree in the event of a defect/reholder. Otherwise, it's a new instance of grading and nothing from before is relevant.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,260 posts
2 minutes ago, Lazyboy said:

You know that all of CGC's different types of labels are pre-printed, right?

Yes (other than the book specific data).

Imagine that each label type is in a separate bin/tray in the printer (Universal Blue = tray 1, Sig Series Yellow = tray 2, PLOD = tray 3, etc). 

My point was that there is sufficient info available from the book specific data to generate a lookup to a library of graphic images (issue specific) to print on the label. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,845 posts
3 minutes ago, bc said:

Yes (other than the book specific data).

Imagine that each label type is in a separate bin/tray in the printer (Universal Blue = tray 1, Sig Series Yellow = tray 2, PLOD = tray 3, etc). 

My point was that there is sufficient info available from the book specific data to generate a lookup to a library of graphic images (issue specific) to print on the label. 

But they only print the grade and issue data, not the images. That would add a great deal of complexity (and cost).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,260 posts
3 minutes ago, Lazyboy said:

But they only print the grade and issue data, not the images. That would add a great deal of complexity (and cost).

Understand and somewhat agree. 

The specialty labels are not free - aren't they an extra $5 cost or something? That's sorta steep for a few sprays of ink.

The complexity is the up front time to develop an image library - to pull an image from the library during the printing process isn't that big of a deal at all - think of it as a glorified mail merge in Word. They already have a template setup to receive the book specific data (grade, title, date, notes, etc) on the labels - just add another field for the image.

Heck, they could even let us boardies submit some of the images (that they approve of course) for the library to reduce their development time & cost. Give us a template and some guidelines and I bet this group could be very creative. I'd gladly do a Fin Fang Foom image for my Strange Tales 89 and a Goom image for my Tales of Suspense 15 and so on.

Just trying to point out a potential value-added service to further separate them from the competition.

-bc

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,845 posts
4 minutes ago, bc said:

Understand and somewhat agree. 

The specialty labels are not free - aren't they an extra $5 cost or something? That's sorta steep for a few sprays of ink.

The complexity is the up front time to develop an image library - to pull an image from the library during the printing process isn't that big of a deal at all - think of it as a glorified mail merge in Word. They already have a template setup to receive the book specific data (grade, title, date, notes, etc) on the labels - just add another field for the image.

Heck, they could even let us boardies submit some of the images (that they approve of course) for the library to reduce their development time & cost. Give us a template and some guidelines and I bet this group could be very creative. I'd gladly do a Fin Fang Foom image for my Strange Tales 89 and a Goom image for my Tales of Suspense 15 and so on.

Just trying to point out a potential value-added service to further separate them from the competition.

-bc

 

Sure, changing what they print isn't (at least theoretically) that big a deal.

But we don't know what are the terms of their deal with Marvel.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
3 3