• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I'm confused

6 posts in this topic

Fill me in. Did CGC "witness" the signing of the case? The label acknowledges the signature, but how would that be mentioned after it getting slabbed? It's kind of a "chicken or the egg?" scenario. 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/X-Men-1-CGC-3-5-VG-1st-X-Men-Silver-Key-Signed-by-Stan-Lee-6-000-Value-/113595465601?hash=item1a72d13f81%3Ag%3AOvMAAOSwC~9cOk3h&nma=true&si=nmxVM8eh0OmQ7lltWBlsVKdzAPM%3D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Edited by Darkowl

16 hours ago, Darkowl said:

Fill me in. Did CGC "witness" the signing of the case? The label acknowledges the signature, but how would that be mentioned after it getting slabbed? It's kind of a "chicken or the egg?" scenario. 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/X-Men-1-CGC-3-5-VG-1st-X-Men-Silver-Key-Signed-by-Stan-Lee-6-000-Value-/113595465601?hash=item1a72d13f81%3Ag%3AOvMAAOSwC~9cOk3h&nma=true&si=nmxVM8eh0OmQ7lltWBlsVKdzAPM%3D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

What..?

"Stan Lee" is written on the cover - not the slab...

5 minutes ago, TwoPiece said:

What..?

"Stan Lee" is written on the cover - not the slab...

You're right! My bad. But why is it a blue label? I thought there was a label for unwitnessed sigs? I guess not?

Edited by Darkowl

1 minute ago, Darkowl said:

Then why is it a blue label? I thought there was a label for unwitnessed sigs?

No. The Qualified (Green) Label exists for COA-type "authenticated" signatures.

This is just "Stan Lee" written on the cover. Which counts against the grade. That's why it says, "Stan Lee written on cover" and not, "Signed by Stan Lee on cover".

10 minutes ago, TwoPiece said:

This is just "Stan Lee" written on the cover. Which counts against the grade. That's why it says, "Stan Lee written on cover" and not, "Signed by Stan Lee on cover".

Thanks for clearing that up. I was all sorts of confused. I knew I had picked the right title for this thread.  lol

Edited by Darkowl

7 hours ago, TwoPiece said:

Incorrect.

The green label is used for higher grades that would be negatively impacted by the signature. If the signature doesn't affect the grade, it will receive a blue label. Customers may also be able to request a blue label instead of green.

All Qualified (signed) books are "X written on cover" rather than "signed by X" It doesn't matter who was involved with getting the book signed.