• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I was told there would be no math

15 posts in this topic

6 hours ago, BitterOldMan said:

You can build a regression model using the following formulas.

1691516563_regressionformula.gif.e239bb43dffcffe899ac7d958edf0c71.gif

y=PLOD prices

x=Blue Label prices

n=number of sample points

I prefer a multivariate approach.

I just solved. But better keep answer to myself!

I try to evaluate by determining approx what the pre resto grade is (hardly an easy task)

for example, if the book is 6.5 Ep it was probably a 1.0 range to begin 

If it’s a 6.5 sp it was probably a 4.5 range to begin and so on

And then figure that way. Bc every book/demand is diff and there is so much info out there, the old 15-20% for ext and 20-25% for mod and 25-35% for slight older school rule rarely applies 

30 years ago you would take the original grade+ restored app grade and divide  by 2. So the market is constantly changing/evolving in their approach 

Edited by G.A.tor

3 hours ago, G.A.tor said:

I try to evaluate by determining approx what the pre resto grade is (hardly an easy task)

And then figure that way. Bc every book/demand is diff and there is so much info out there, the old 15-20% for ext and 20-25% for mod and 25-35% for slight older school rule rarely applies 

30 years ago you would take the original grade+ restored app grade and divide  by 2. So the market is constantly changing/evolving in their approach 

So out of curiosity then what % would you put for a GA key that’s 8.5 moderate? Would a key be valued at a higher percentage? Going further into the weeds, what about GA vs SA vs bronze? 

35 minutes ago, IngelsFan said:

So out of curiosity then what % would you put for a GA key that’s 8.5 moderate? Would a key be valued at a higher percentage? Going further into the weeds, what about GA vs SA vs bronze? 

I never really see restored bronze. Bc bronze is so common, I suspect any restored is minimal in % value

almost all silver also readily available. Keys get about same % as ga imo

the 8.5 mod would depend on book

5 hours ago, G.A.tor said:

30 years ago when I did all the convention's down to SD you take a 4.0 turn it into 8.0 and get the 8.0 price with everyone from Fantasy 15 to Batman 1 :whatthe:.  I wish I never had my personal collection restored :makepoint:

Today my restored 8.0 's  are with less than unrestored 1.0 's or to put it blunt worth 3x's less than they would have been if left  them alone something like that you get the point.

gump.jpg

1 hour ago, woowoo said:

30 years ago when I did all the convention's down to SD you take a 4.0 turn it into 8.0 and get the 8.0 price with everyone from Fantasy 15 to Batman 1 :whatthe:.  I wish I never had my personal collection restored :makepoint:

Today my restored 8.0 's  are with less than unrestored 1.0 's or to put it blunt worth 3x's less than they would have been if left  them alone something like that you get the point.

gump.jpg

Times and market perception change , and will change again from what we feel today

2 minutes ago, G.A.tor said:

Times and market perception change , and will change again from what we feel today

:wishluck: I guess at my age kid's all grown up but my 14 year old my collection is worth a lot to me alone  hm (shrug) math to hard.

I would think the availability of the book (Golden Age at least) would come into play too.  Some stuff is a lot more common than others.  Captain Marvel Jr. #1 is a book that isn't crazy hard to find if you're looking, so I imagine resto grades would be worth significantly less than something you're going to have trouble locating in any condition, much less unrestored.

On 2/21/2019 at 12:54 AM, BitterOldMan said:

You can build a regression model using the following formulas.

1691516563_regressionformula.gif.e239bb43dffcffe899ac7d958edf0c71.gif

y=PLOD prices

x=Blue Label prices

n=number of sample points

I prefer a multivariate approach.

Linear regression only considers two ratio level variables.  Like age and price.  A binary logistic regression or multi-linear regression model might be appropriate here depending on additional variables, like date of prior sales, condition etc.,

tenor.gif?itemid=11562299

Edited by path4play

2 hours ago, path4play said:

Linear regression only considers two ratio level variables.  Like age and price.  A binary logistic regression or multi-linear regression model might be appropriate here depending on additional variables, like date of prior sales, condition etc.,

tenor.gif?itemid=11562299

You, sir, are a real brain.

I agree with you.

Would the binary variable be the reduction in price due to being a PLOD?

logistic-regression-equation.jpg