• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Avengers 16 Green Qualified "MANUFACTURED WITHOUT STAPLES" how to value??

14 posts in this topic

Hello all fellow comic book collectors!!

I am new to CGC chat rooms, and am super pumped up to be a part of this.

I just got this green label book back from CGC and trying to understand the value of it. It is straight from my fathers collection when he was a kid, not even sure if he read it as it might fall apart with no staples?? Weird.

Anyways, Is it worth more or less than a blue label 9.0??

Since the defect is a manufactured issue and not a human created issue it seems that it is something special.

Are comic books "manufactured without staples" common?

thank you for reading this. 

IMG_8141.jpg

Edited by LBack

53 minutes ago, oldrover said:

Seriously though, I’m surprised it was qualified. Manufacturing errors such as Marvel chipping don’t elicit a green label. I’d inquire to CGC and maybe regrade. 

Manufacturing errors are usually things like pages printed out of order, interior covers mysteriously blank, interior of comic different from cover, etc. There are a number of these examples on the Heritage site---pretty interesting stuff, actually. Generally, these types of books do receive the green Qualified label. What's puzzling to me is the absence of the words "Manufacturing Error" printed in bold on the label. Perhaps CGC didn't have enough room for everything in the appropriate field and just left out that rather critical piece of information... (shrug)

To address the Marvel chipping issue, that would most likely be considered a manufacturing flaw, and since it's so common on early Marvels, CGC doesn't treat it the same as a book that was manufactured with no staples. They just downgrade it accordingly. I hope this helps.

This is an interesting phenomenon, and it does make this book a bit of an oddity. Is it worth more or less? I sense that only the collecting community can answer that question... 

17 minutes ago, The Lions Den said:

Manufacturing errors are usually things like pages printed out of order, interior covers mysteriously blank, interior of comic different from cover, etc. There are a number of these examples on the Heritage site---pretty interesting stuff, actually. Generally, these types of books do receive the green Qualified label. What's puzzling to me is the absence of the words "Manufacturing Error" printed in bold on the label. Perhaps CGC didn't have enough room for everything in the appropriate field and just left out that rather critical piece of information... (shrug)

To address the Marvel chipping issue, that would most likely be considered a manufacturing flaw, and since it's so common on early Marvels, CGC doesn't treat it the same as a book that was manufactured with no staples. They just downgrade it accordingly. I hope this helps.

This is an interesting phenomenon, and it does make this book a bit of an oddity. Is it worth more or less? I sense that only the collecting community can answer that question... 

Thank you for correcting me. That’ll teach me to trust detailslike this to my geezer brain. :)

13 minutes ago, oldrover said:

Thank you for correcting me. That’ll teach me to trust detailslike this to my geezer brain. :)

I had to double check this information, and it's still confusing to me because it's not always consistent. I fear you're not the only one who's acquiring "geezer brain", my friend...  lol 

Edited by The Lions Den

I do not have my books graded but I am still interested in CGC since they are a major part of the hobby.

Having said that I find it interesting that you received a Qualified Green Label for what CGC obviously listed as a "Bindery/Printing Defect" since they stated "Manufactured Without Staples".

My guess would be that to give this book a Blue label it would have to be graded as "having a detached cover" and if so how much would that drop a VF/NM 9.0 even though it is truly a Bindery Defect?

The question then becomes is there a CGC written rule for grading in rare instances such as this or do they grade things like this on the fly making up the rules as they go along? ???   (shrug)

What is the difference between " A Limited Number", "A Limited Accumulation", A Small Accumulation", Some Accumulation", are those terms clearly defined by CGC??? ???   (shrug)

9.0 VERY FINE/NEAR MINT (VF/NM):  Back to Top
A limited number of bindery/printing defects are allowed. 

8.0 VERY FINE (VF):  Back to Top
A limited accumulation of minor bindery/printing defects is allowed.

7.0 FINE/VERY FINE (FN/VF):  Back to Top
 A small accumulation of minor bindery/printing defects is allowed.

6.0 FINE (FN):  Back to Top
 Some accumulation of minor bindery/printing defects is allowed.

16 minutes ago, marvelmaniac said:

I do not have my books graded but I am still interested in CGC since they are a major part of the hobby.

Having said that I find it interesting that you received a Qualified Green Label for what CGC obviously listed as a "Bindery/Printing Defect" since they stated "Manufactured Without Staples".

My guess would be that to give this book a Blue label it would have to be graded as "having a detached cover" and if so how much would that drop a VF/NM 9.0 even though it is truly a Bindery Defect?

The question then becomes is there a CGC written rule for grading in rare instances such as this or do they grade things like this on the fly making up the rules as they go along? ???   (shrug)

What is the difference between " A Limited Number", "A Limited Accumulation", A Small Accumulation", Some Accumulation", are those terms clearly defined by CGC??? ???   (shrug)

9.0 VERY FINE/NEAR MINT (VF/NM):  Back to Top
A limited number of bindery/printing defects are allowed. 

8.0 VERY FINE (VF):  Back to Top
A limited accumulation of minor bindery/printing defects is allowed.

7.0 FINE/VERY FINE (FN/VF):  Back to Top
 A small accumulation of minor bindery/printing defects is allowed.

6.0 FINE (FN):  Back to Top
 Some accumulation of minor bindery/printing defects is allowed.

You raise some good points here. I would say that CGC tries to follow their own policies for how to deal with certain flaws, but that's not set in stone, partly because certain people are more involved in this process than others. What I've noticed over the years is that staple issues like this one are almost always given a green label if the book is in high grade. So it doesn't surprise me at all that this book received a green label. That probably also explains why it wasn't listed as a manufacturing error or manufacturing defect on the label as well...  (shrug)

I actually like this error. Although it's a true manufacturing problem, to me it is not an unattractive defect. Frankly, to me the book is more cool - certainly more rare - without both staples.

Having said that, I am less enamored of those books usually are dual-stapled that were manufactured with only one staple. CGC does not grade those with a qualified label, IIRC, but they do note the single staple on the label.

Thanks for all the feedback comic book community. Very interesting and knowledgable stuff, gives me a much better understanding of this book.

I've sent some of my fathers childhood collection to CGC, and all come back blue universal, which is why this green label threw me for a loop.

I am going to hold on to this one for a while because there does seem to be something special and rare about it as it was no fault of human destruction but a problem at the staple factory. Cool.

And I love the cover, start of a great new Avengers line- up?? and Captain America screaming "AVENGERS ASSEMBLE!!!"....... doesn't get much better than that.

Thank you!!

On 2/22/2019 at 10:26 AM, The Lions Den said:

That probably also explains why it wasn't listed as a manufacturing error or manufacturing defect on the label as well...  (shrug)

But it was, it clearly states on the label...

"Manufactured Without Staples", if that is not an admission of a manufacturing error or manufacturing defect then what is?

4 hours ago, marvelmaniac said:

But it was, it clearly states on the label...

"Manufactured Without Staples", if that is not an admission of a manufacturing error or manufacturing defect then what is?

I'm referring to another entry that's put on the label in bold print which states either "Manufacturing Defect" or "Manufacturing Error" in addition to the comment written in capital letters. But hey, no biggie...as long as the message is clear...  (thumbsu 

On 2/23/2019 at 9:14 PM, BlowUpTheMoon said:

I'm always amazed that books manufactured without staples survive so long. 

Which is why I'm thinking this 9.0 manufactured without staples is a rare gem........

Is there a way to find out if other green label 9.0 (or higher) "manufactured without staples" exist?