• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PGM Marvel Star Wars #1 35 Cent Variant

10 posts in this topic

Hello.  Newbie here.  To be honest I do not really collect comics nor do I know much about them as far as condition, grading, etc. go.  I was told this would be the place to go to get opinions on what appears to be a pretty sought after comic that my father has had for about 40 years:  the Star Wars #1 35 Cent Variant. 

Quick backstory on the comic:  My dad bought this around 1980 just because he liked Star Wars and knew us kids liked it.  He has a lot of collectibles but not really many comics other than this one.  He bought this at the local comic shop where the owner had this and the 30 cent version.  He told my dad that if he bought both he would give him a deal and told him the 35 cent version was the only one he had gotten and could be collectible.  Overall, my dad said he bought them both for like 7 dollars.  The comic has never been opened or read since my dad has owned it; he simply stored it away for safekeeping.

Years and years later we read a story about how the 35 cent variants of comics and Star Wars #1 were very collectible and my dad casually mentioned that he had that version.  I was curious and fairly skeptical.  Upon looking at it though, it does appear he has that variant.  We really don't know much about grading, pressing, cleaning, etc. as we don't really collect comics, but I thought it might be wise to look to possibly getting it encased or graded.  I guess we are just curious about the comic in general.  I tried to scan the best I could; again, I have never dealt with comics, so I was just trying to follow directions on the forum.  We would just be curious to hear any general thoughts about this comic book and its condition.

Thanks for any input.

starwarscomic1.jpg

starwarscomic2.jpg

Wow!  I have no idea if it's real or not, but at first view it looks OK to me.  Quite a find if it's legit.

It would definitely benefit from a clean and press.  That big bend in the upper left can be improved on.  Not sure about the water stain on the back though.  As presented I would call it a 5.0-5.5.  Maybe 1.5-2.0 point bump with a clean and press?

Nice find! Definitely desired by those hunting for it, and there are many. As is, I am at a 5.0. A press might put it higher, perhaps a 6.0 at best.

For the record, a really rough copy sold on ebay recently for $361. Much worse condition than yours and missing a coupon on the inside.

A grade 5.5 just sold recently for $3140. So you could very well be in this range value wise. As others have said, getting it graded and pressed would be a smart idea if the goal is to one day sell it.

Thank you for all the replies and welcoming words.  This is a cool feature to be able to present a comic book and have it looked over by others with much, much more expertise than me.  

I'm not sure what we will do with this book yet, but it's nice to have a general idea on condition and to know it's likely authentic.

Thanks!

Great book in any grade! I think the staining on the lower right hand side of the back cover will be it's undoing unfortunately.

Spoiler

5.0 IMHO!

And welcome to the boards! :hi:

Edited by timfinz