• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CW's STARGIRL series starring Brec Bassinger (2022)
1 1

186 posts in this topic

‘Stargirl’ Discovered: Warner Bros Takes Shine To Brec Bassinger As DC Universe Superhero

Stargirl Brec Bassinger

The DC Universe just brightened — Brec Bassinger of Nickelodeon’s Bella & the Bulldogs will play the cosmic title character on Stargirl, one of the new TV series that Warner Bros.Digital Networks and DC Entertainment are banking on as they launch an ambitious streaming site aimed at superhero fans.

The show and the character are special to Geoff Johns, the show’s writer and executive producer, who until recently was chief creative officer at DC Entertainment. Johns rose through the ranks of DC Comics writers and Stargirl (aka Courtney Whitmore) was among the characters most closely associated with his ascent to fan-favorite status in publishing.

“There is no other character in comic books more special to me than Stargirl, and after searching far and wide I can say there is no other actor on the planet that embodies her more than Brec Bassinger,” Johns said. “Brec’s warmth, strength, humor and positive energy are core to who Courtney Whitmore is. I’m so grateful she’s signed on for the role.”

Stargirl Release Date

At New York Comic Con, a graphic was flashed on screen that indicated that Stargirl will most likely premiere on DC Universe in late 2019. It now appears it will be in August rather than September or October.

27 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

I am a huge Starman fan so I have a soft spot for Stargirl, who inherits the rod from Jack Knight at the end of the James Robinson / Tony Harris / Peter Snejbjerg series and this actress looks fantastic in that photo!

While details remain under wraps for DC Universe's Stargirl series, creator Geoff Johns has confirmed one classic villain that will appear.

Speaking with CBR, Johns confirmed speculation that Solomon Grundy will menace the heroes of the upcoming series, with Zoic Studios rendering the undead villain.

"I'm glad there's a little mystery to it; I don't think everyone quite knows what the show is going to totally be about yet, beyond Courtney and discovering the legacy of Starman and this team coming together," Johns said. "That's fun, knowing we have all these doors to open and cards to turn over and I can't wait for people to see our Solomon Grundy. Our Solomon Grundy's ridiculous! The visual effects house that's done all the work for Stargirl is Zoic Studios and Andrew Orloff is one of the founders of it. The work they put in there, their team blows us away every time we do a visual effects review. Every time they deliver anything, all the different characters and the world that we're tapping into, it's phenomenal work. I can't wait for people to see it, it's truly a cut above the norm."