• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CW's STARGIRL series starring Brec Bassinger (2022)
1 1

186 posts in this topic

Also just finally watched the pilot - amazing start, and already feeling like a lot more love went into this show. Great translation of all the heroes costumes, even if for only a few brief moments on screen.

Would really love to find a high-res image of that JSA photograph Pat has!

totally on board for this one!!! Can’t wait to see Grundy and STRIPE duke it out!! 🤟

normally I just watch for enjoyment and don’t think too much about specific episodes or anything just looking to escape for a bit but I can’t help but dream of a flashback episode for Grundy vs the JSA and have the original Green Lantern etc that would be so cool imo!!

This shows got me excited no doubt 

DC’s Stargirl continues to tease the next generation of the Injustice Society of America by revealing yet another legacy character from the DC Universe - the son of Icicle. As Courtney Whitmore (Brec Bassinger) has continued to explore Starman’s (Joel McHale) legacy by picking up his mantle (or in this case, cosmic staff), she is also discovering the deeper history of the Justice Society of America. With Pat Dugan (Luke Wilson) still reluctant of Courtney insisting to go down this path, the new heroine is gaining more and more attention by the Injustice Society. The first member to go after Stargirl was Brainwave (Christopher James Baker) who was one of the last foes that Starman battled the night he died.

Spoiler

One of the characters that has been a big mystery since his casting is Hunter Sansone’s “Cameron” who has been spotted at Blue Valley High School as one of Courtney’s classmates. While most of the other teenage characters in Stargirl had their full names revealed prior to the series premiere, Cameron’s last name was suspiciously left off despite being a series regular. But following “Icicle”, it’s revealed why it was kept a secret. Towards the end of “Icicle”, after Jordan kills his fellow Injustice Society ally William Zarick a.k.a. Wizard (Joe Knezevich) whose son Joey (Will Deusnir) was the one to die at the bridge, it’s revealed that Cameron is Icicle’s son.

Stargirl-DC-Villain-Revealed.jpg?q=50&fi

This confirms that Sansone’s full character name is Cameron Mahkent, who is the second Icicle in the DC lore. There had been various speculations and rumors that this was Icicle Jr. the whole time, but now Stargirl has fully confirmed it. While Cameron is nowhere near in becoming his comic counterpart, “Icicle” has opened the door for him to possibly go down that route. In the mythology, Cameron is a metahuman with ice abilities that he inherited through his father. While Stargirl has depicted Jordan (or Joar as he is known as in the comics) having powers, he actually is a normal human in the mythology and uses a cold gun as Icicle. But at some point, Joar’s DNA was altered after having been exposed to the cold gun which is how Cameron ends up being a metahuman.

Episode 3 was another great addition to the new show. Really like what they are delivering here.

50 minutes ago, aardvark88 said:

Surprised how interesting episode 4 continues to be. Nice intro to Wildcat, costume, first test of powers a la ASM movies.

What an origin story for a female character. And the influence her family had on her superhero decision.

I am really enjoying this show. And it is a slow buildup versus revealing far too much too soon. Like

Spoiler

Who her dad really is. As It is not going to be Starman.

After three weeks of setup, “Wildcat” delivers a powerful and unique origin story for the first legacy hero recruited to Stargirl’s JSA. 

Yolanda Montez had been a quiet, angry and isolated individual for the first three episodes, and now we finally know why. She was a popular, outgoing and spirited student at Blue Valley high until her love interest (Henry King Jr., son of Brainwave) shared her topless photos with his friends. When a jealous Cindy gets a hold of Yolanda’s extremely private and personal pictures, she spreads them to the entire school while Yolanda is speaking at a school assembly. 

Montez is heartbroken, ashamed and utterly humiliated. With her pictures exposed and her reputation tarnished, her friends and even her family turn on her. The behavior of Ms. and Mrs. Montez towards their daughter is sickening, and I applaud Stargirl for shining a light on the terrible way that parents in modern America all too often respond to situations such as this one. 

stargirl-wildcat.jpeg?resize=1024,536&ss

Another excellent aspect of “Wildcat” is it’s honest depiction of Stargirl and Wildcat as amateur superheroes. At one point, Stargirl nearly turns off the power in the hospital before Wildcat and the cosmic staff stop her, reminding her that there are people on life support. Shortly afterwards, Wildcat nearly kills her ex in cold blood before realizing that maybe murder isn’t the best solution to her problems. These two are not experienced vigilantes, and their depiction as naive and fresh superheroes lends a feeling of honesty and believability to the series. 

The budding friendship of these two future JSA members isn’t the only highlight of “Wildcat”. We’re treated to our first look at The Dragon King, a frightening and disturbed member of the Injustice Society of America. The mystery of what Dragon King wants with Wizard’s corpse coupled with the disappearance of his widowed wife sets up a fascinating puzzle for Stargirl and S.T.R.I.P.E. to solve. 

Really solid and sad episode. But fitting to the character.

6 episodes down and I have enjoyed every one of them.  They are doing a great job with this and keeping it "kid friendly", funny, and still enjoyable for adults.  I give this show two thumbs up. (thumbsu(thumbsu

One minor detail, that I thought strange in episode 5...

When Stargirl's Step-Dad is looking under the hood of his 55 Buick Special and trying to figure out what is wrong with it, Hour Man's son comes up and says it sounds like the alternator.

Given that car was built in 1955 and alternators were not put into cars until 1959, I am not sure how it could be a problem with the alternator (unless of course we are assuming the car was for some unknown reason converted over, which I find highly unlikely).

GREAT SHOW!!!!  I hope they keep up the good work!!!

Yes, I saw...thanks...:foryou:

Spoiler

I didn't think of  the Seven Soldiers of Victory, I was thinking Black Knight when I saw the sword. That would make no sense since he was not DC, but it was late when I watched it;)  I actually read the Stargirl and Stripes graphic novel last week, but the Shining Knight was not mentioned. Maybe in the next volume.

Edited by skypinkblu

DC’s Stargirl has been renewed for a second season, which comes as little surprise given the superhero series’ warm reception. The twist is that The CW — not DC Universe — ordered the pickup, because starting with Season 2 it will be the exclusive in-season home for the show.

Meaning, Stargirl Season 2 episodes will first air on The CW, and then land on the network’s free, ad-supported streaming platforms the day after. Sources say there are no plans for the second season to stream on DC Universe, which of course hosts all kinds of content beyond original TV series but does appear to be on the verge of a transition, given this news and how it co-produced/is sharing Doom Patrol Season 2 with HBO Max. (Titans Season 3 is due to start production once it is deemed safe.)

I wonder if this is the tell there is news coming about the DC Universe being merged with HBO Max?

On 6/9/2020 at 9:06 AM, aardvark88 said:

Surprised how interesting episode 4 continues to be. Nice intro to Wildcat, costume, first test of powers a la ASM movies.

What channel is it on?