• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comics in your collection, that hurts to look at
2 2

104 posts in this topic

Mine would be my GL 87.  Had rusty staples so I replaced em and cover tore off.  :cry:

It would also be my ASM 50 that I tape pulled.  Out of the stack of books I was unbagging that one got a tape pull.  Not the jimmy olsen or anything nope.  Sold it on ebay after that.

10 minutes ago, 1950's war comics said:

yes, we want to know !

He traded it for some 'hot' 90s foil books!  :cry:

29 minutes ago, 1950's war comics said:

yes, we want to know !

17 minutes ago, kav said:

He traded it for some 'hot' 90s foil books!  :cry:

I wish, but unfortunately my college dorm roommate back in 1989 stole it, and sold it to a LCS in the area for $100 when he dropped out of college ... It then became an $800 wall book in the store back then, and was out of my reach to get it back. 😒

another lesson, never carry your prized  books with you to college  :sorry:

Edited by nepatkm
Dorm

1 minute ago, nepatkm said:

I wish, but unfortunately my college roommate back in 1989 stole it, and sold it to a LCS in the area for $100 when he dropped out of college ... It then became an $800 wall book in the store back then, and was out of my reach to get it back. 😒

Damn all you had to do was report it stolen and the police would have made him give it back to you!!!

Just now, kav said:

Damn all you had to do was report it stolen and the police would have made him give it back to you!!!

I did, and Didn’t go that way with the campus police. Didn’t have a receipt for proof of purchase, or ownership back then.  🙁

Nowadays, at least you can record items on the internet ( CGC registry, etc  ) that could prove you own the item. 

4 minutes ago, nepatkm said:

I wish, but unfortunately my college dorm roommate back in 1989 stole it, and sold it to a LCS in the area for $100 when he dropped out of college ... It then became an $800 wall book in the store back then, and was out of my reach to get it back. 😒

That's a tough break, did the LCS not know you or that you owned one? 

That's tough, $800 In '89 would have covered rent and some groceries for a couple of weeks...

Just now, nepatkm said:

I did, and Didn’t go that way with the campus police. Didn’t have a receipt for proof of purchase, or ownership back then.  🙁

Nowadays, at least you can record items on the internet ( CGC registry, etc  ) that could prove you own the item. 

I would have just stole all the money from police then said sorry-no proof of ownership!!!

2 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

That's a tough break, did the LCS not know you or that you owned one? 

That's tough, $800 In '89 would have covered rent and some groceries for a couple of weeks...

Would have almost covered the semester back then.  lol  

Edited by nepatkm
Long ago

3 minutes ago, nepatkm said:

Would have almost covered the semester back then.  lol  

When I went to University in 1981-5 tuition was $300/year.

Hmmm its also a thinker to whether the LCS knew something was fishy though...

Was AF 15 sold to the LCS for $100 a common occurrence?

I wonder if those same kinds of deals are made today...

Sadly I probably don't want to know :eek:

@kav

My cost for college was 1000 a semester including the Dorm, and food card. I had a wrestling scholarship that helped with the school books, and dorm cost. The AF 15 was my Father’s Copy that he handed down to me, so that hurt the most as he’s gone now. 

Edited by nepatkm

@kav

My cost for college was 1000 a semester including the Dorm, and food card. I had a wrestling scholarship that helped with the school books, and dorm cost. The AF 15 was my Father’s Copy that he handed down to me, so that hurt the most as he’s gone now. 

sorry for your loss :foryou:

@kav

I learned to save money on books by not buying books till I saw they were actually being used in class.  Many times they weren't.  Many times teacher only tested on what was covered in class so no need for book.  Often I could check out previous edition of text in library.  Changes were so small it didnt make any difference.  I was a bio/chem major.  My organic text had a bullet hole thru it-luckily at the top.  .22 bullet was lodged in like page 300.

2 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

I didn't realize this thread would be so tough to hear, but you learn through experience....

Good sometimes to get it out for others and yourself too...

:martini:

:tink:

2 minutes ago, kav said:

I learned to save money on books by not buying books till I saw they were actually being used in class.  Many times they weren't.  Many times teacher only tested on what was covered in class so no need for book.  Often I could check out previous edition of text in library.  Changes were so small it didnt make any difference.  I was a bio/chem major.  My organic text had a bullet hole thru it-luckily at the top.  .22 bullet was lodged in like page 300.

I did the same...

Even then @nepatkm I went to UTD, as recent as spring 2017, and just tuition was around $3,875 per semester. I stayed with folks so no dorm fees or food bills. 

I had the honor society in community college, got nominated for a scholarship towards my bachelor's, drove from Dallas to Houston, and ended up telling them I wasn't in any debt, which was true but they said that there were people in more need than me

Soooo nooo scholarship :(

I took out one loan went a couple years, and I decided that I didn't want to go into debt big time to be an accountant, a bookkeeper cert was fine with me....

5 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

I didn't realize this thread would be so tough to hear, but you learn through experience....

Good sometimes to get it out for others and yourself too...

:martini:

Well that book is not in my collection anymore, so it doesn’t hurt to look at. 

:angel:

You really don’t want to know what happened to most of my father’s collection while he was drafted to go to war in Vietnam. 

Ok you do, my grandfather used them to stuff up some leaky water pipes. Sucks

- But yeah they weren’t as big of a deal then as they are now, so they were just like old newspaper back then. :flamed:

Edited by nepatkm
Drafted

1 minute ago, nepatkm said:

You really don’t want to know what happened to most of my father’s collection while he was in Vietnam. 

Ok you do, my grandfather used them to stuff up some leaky water pipes. Sucks

- But yeah they weren’t as big of a deal then as they are now, so they were just like old newspaper back then. :flamed:

Just remember folks-if most of the books hadnt been destroyed like this, they wouldnt be worth squat.  There would be like 1 million copies of Action #1 for example.  I think that was the print runs back then.