• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comics in your collection, that hurts to look at
2 2

104 posts in this topic

buying multiple books from a very well known dealer that just can't disclose defects on their books. Such as grading a book a 3.0 that has a completely split cover that is also detached from the book and none of that information is disclosed. After buying 10+ raw books with undisclosed problems I no longer buy raw from them.

The book that most fits this definition is my CGC 9.0 Freak Brothers 1, sold to me at under half GPA by Howard Greber, the board's great expert on underground comics and one of my best boardie pals.

The difficulty here arises from him selling me this only a couple of weeks or so before he died of cancer.  That was the last time I spoke to him, I still miss our phone chats, and I'm deeply saddened every time I try to admire this really nicely-presenting comic.

19 minutes ago, MadripoorNights said:

I have an X-Men 12 that I sheared the cover off of while placing it into a razor-sharp mylar.  Still looks good in the bag, as long as I don't look too closely.

I had a X-men 12 priced at $20 at the LCS, it looked to be torn or spine split, but the cover was still attached...

I got it home took it out to read, and discovered what the term "brittle pages" meant :eek: mostly only the cover was brittle and became detached at one staple. I still got to read it though ^^ 

Edited by ADAMANTIUM
the cover

5 hours ago, Ken Aldred said:

The book that most fits this definition is my CGC 9.0 Freak Brothers 1, sold to me at under half GPA by Howard Greber, the board's great expert on underground comics and one of my best boardie pals.

The difficulty here arises from him selling me this only a couple of weeks or so before he died of cancer.  That was the last time I spoke to him, I still miss our phone chats, and I'm deeply saddened every time I try to admire this really nicely-presenting comic.

That is a really tough one @Ken Aldred ,

sorry for your loss. :sorry:

2 hours ago, AGGIEZ said:

I just want to know who owns the Stan Lee ASM#129 signature series "Punisher Roach" book...that's a thread closer there...

That’s such an infamous book, the owner should be very happy with its notoriety. 

6 minutes ago, nepatkm said:
2 hours ago, AGGIEZ said:

I just want to know who owns the Stan Lee ASM#129 signature series "Punisher Roach" book...that's a thread closer there...

That’s such an infamous book, the owner should be very happy with its notoriety. 

I remember a couple of boardies that asked a while back because they were interested lol When did the sketch happen, anyone know? 2016? 

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

8 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

I remember a couple of boardies that asked a while back because they were interested lol When did the sketch happen, anyone know? 2016? 

2008 here’s a picture and a link to its discussion on these boards. 

69E97ECB-2C1F-468B-8C35-3587C7FD1345.jpeg.13c4fd4151a2d341a690207eed184d9b.jpeg

I fully hate and also fully love looking at these two dogs... I keep trying to kick them out of my collection, but they were two of the first (if not the first...) back issue purchases I made.  I can't remember a single detail about these, which makes me pretty sad, but I've had these two books forever and just can't get rid of them.  I thought Thor was so awesome!  I always liked the Torch issue better though... (cover completely detached, but staples intact)

I tried to get both in 9.8 from an auction (I forget where) a few months ago, but my wallet beat my sentimentality... which is rare.  One day...

img076.thumb.jpg.e26c82411c3ba5276924d6b4c46700b5.jpg

img078.jpg

Edited by Schmakt

9 minutes ago, nepatkm said:

You can do better than that, @comics4all — yeah, you just unlocked an unholy gateway. :devil:

@nepatkm I know! I was gonna post this:

1286084362_liefeld2.jpg.79fe244ad20b81cb8adfdcffcfe4d22f.jpg

but Nu Bucky  (& WTF is on Falcon's shirt?!!!) is so lame, I went with that! 

Can't wait to see what you guys have got to post! 

Edited by comics4all

7 minutes ago, comics4all said:

@nepatkm I know I was gonna post this:

1286084362_liefeld2.jpg.79fe244ad20b81cb8adfdcffcfe4d22f.jpg

but Nu Bucky  (& WTF is on Falcon's cowl?!!!) is so lame, I went with that! 

That’s hilarious, as I came across this post from liefeld not to long ago. :roflmao:

The New Cap?

723827E2-5E34-467E-8B04-64B1D6E2AFF2.jpeg

Edited by nepatkm

14 hours ago, nepatkm said:

Sorry to hear @dupont2005 

Are the counterfeit copies valuable also?

I doubt it. It’s a keeper anyway. I’m not too upset I have a fake but I’d have been happier if it wasn’t one of the most expensive comics in my collection. I rarely go over $100 for anything

I have Hulk #183 and Blitzkrieg #1 that I found in an old junk drawer at my grandparents house when I was a kid back in 1987ish. I asked my old man about them and he told me they were remnants of the many boxes full of comics that he had picked up starting in the 60's to late 70's. He also had a chunk of Goldens and Atomics he inherited from his uncle. He remembers having "a lot of war comics, Hulk, Spiderman, Cap, Conan and other super hero stuff." Specifically, he remembers Conan #1,  thought he may have had Hulk #1,  and Spiderman #1 and a bunch of other early issues, mid-grade I'm sure. What happened to them all? His mom threw a bunch out...:pullhair:

Classic story...

The kicker, she didn't find them all! :whee:

He rescued quite a few of them...

:headbang:

Only to burn them years later when he found Jesus. He thought they were a representation of evil and sin...

:censored:

He wishes he had them now...

And so do I... lots of cool stuff I'm sure...and quite a bit of value as well.

So, every time I look at those two low value, mid-grade beauties...I think of what he and I might have had.

hm

250px-Blitzkrieg01.jpg

Edited by Supa-Bad-Mofo

When I was a kid, I must have disobeyed my mom again.  I can't remember if I was playing video games instead of doing homework or what.  Anyways, she grabs a comic and threatens to cut it unless I stop whatever it was that I was doing.  I must have been almost done with whatever it was, video game, TV show, who knows, but my mom wasn't having any of it.  When I failed to comply with her wishes, she cut my book.  I must have screamed at her so loud, probably slammed my door, etc.  Anyways, I took the book and taped it up, but the damage was clearly done.  I suppose I should be grateful it was an easily replaceable book (or at least, is easily replaceable now).  

1226770319_GhostRider15.thumb.jpg.83225536fbedb36bf9a1941200fabd26.jpg

Maybe the Batman 127 that had tape stick to the cover while I was taking it out of a sleeve and I didn't know it and pulled and ripped away a nice chunk of the cover with it, That's why I haven't used tape anywhere near my comics in 25 years. But other than that not really, I have thousands of raggy falling apart comics but none bother me. Maybe some of my really brittle ones that are hard to look at without chunks breaking off, like all of my early SIlver Streaks or my incomplete coverless centaurs which would be nice to have the whole comic and cover, but I love them anyway and love looking at them.

Edited by catman76