• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comics in your collection, that hurts to look at
2 2

104 posts in this topic

On 2/21/2019 at 10:19 PM, nepatkm said:

Ok, going to post 1 more then go to bed. this one is complete inside, but truly hurts my eyes to look at.

ASM #8.

I swear one day I’m going to get drunk, and run across this book,and start a bonfire with it. lol

567964C8-7E53-44A0-9956-63782D6D6461.thumb.jpeg.d565ef8abd2afec7d36c37a76c33e421.jpeg3125A2AC-A191-4479-8BAE-3CCE213EB9C4.thumb.jpeg.1bd080b918526c006362718c50749220.jpeg

:tink: have fun with this one!!

People are nuts, that's a beauty and has so much history. Some kid loved that thing and wore it out reading it a million times. I love it, give me that over a mint comic any day.

9 hours ago, catman76 said:

People are nuts, that's a beauty and has so much history. Some kid loved that thing and wore it out reading it a million times. I love it, give me that over a mint comic any day.

You’re right! It does have memories, and should be cherished. Honestly the main reason I’ve moved this book away from the rest of my ASM collection is all of the yellowing tape holding the book together. Also a little musky smell to it.

Call me crazy, but I worry the acidity from tape,odor and whatever else this book has deteriorating it could escape the bagging, and ultimately start affecting the rest of the books in that box. 

I think of it as a bad apple in a batch of good ones. hm 

—However, as I posted previously, none of my books are in danger of being burned. That was a poor, and bad choice of words at humor. :sorry:

Edited by nepatkm
Still looks ugly though 😆

1 hour ago, Ride the Tiger said:

Look at this yummy 2nd aperence of Punisher.

20190223_125203.jpg

1 hour ago, Ride the Tiger said:

Now let's open it. :p

20190223_125256.jpg

Such a beautiful looking book on the outside, That does hurt @Ride the Tiger Sorry 😕

These are the kind of books I was referencing when I started the thread. The books that immediately remind you of hidden damage, or a memory that just doesn’t allow you to appreciate the book as much as you’d like to. 

Edited by nepatkm

37 minutes ago, Karl Liebl said:

This one...  One of the staples was replaced, it went into the garbage...

uLXpxEZJSVKHyX2U39qdKQ_thumb_775.jpg.eef880898fa4f5a1d91d37d78380b081.jpg

I know plenty of these books have bad staples etc and this one would still be worth some money but it was just the thought of being cheated.  I owned it for about 25 years.  Live and learn.

:( was it the top staple @Karl Liebl ?

2 hours ago, Karl Liebl said:

Yup,

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_77e.thumb.jpg.dde829d3ddf8bcbb4792a670b230ed34.jpg

Sorry  @Karl Liebl

I know with me, the longer I own a book that I’d been burned on by later discovering a major flaw. My mind seems to turn the flaw(s) bigger, and worse than they really appear to be to others.

The book I first posted in this thread, my mind had exaggerated the cutouts so bad, that I was expecting characters to be cut out on every page. Actually upon re inspection I was surprised to find it was only 3 cutouts. Still :tonofbricks:

5 minutes ago, nepatkm said:

Sorry  @Karl Liebl

I know with me, the longer I own a book that I’d been burned on by later discovering a major flaw. My mind seems to turn the flaw(s) bigger, and worse than they really appear to be to others.

The book I first posted in this thread, my mind had exaggerated the cutouts so bad, that I was expecting characters to be cut out on every page. Actually upon re inspection I was surprised to find it was only 3 cutouts. Still :tonofbricks:

I probably would have kept it if it had been fully restored and not the half baked attempt it got, of course that would have taken some real effort and money!  What was done was an attempt to swindle an inexperienced buyer, and it worked!

On 2/25/2019 at 8:59 AM, Jimbo749 said:

This one is tough to look at for me, the fractured glass look plus the newton rings don't make a nice combo.

1771961991_ASM302.thumb.jpg.48e61bbc43278da168af5f8597ea374e.jpg

Yep, sorry @Jimbo749 :( -I understand that frustration well.  

No rings, however the scratches, and scuffs inside this CGG case really detract from the look of the sleek black cover on this issue of mine too. 

4CCFC74E-7E75-44D8-BED2-AF0922807468.jpeg

Edited by nepatkm

Mmmm.... my worst experience was picking up a Batman #5  along with about 8 or 10 other books about 5 years ago. The Bats was not the most expensive book....but was the only one that had any issues.  Came back as a .5 due to 1/4 to 1/2 of a page missing, 'does not affect story'.

=

I did manage to pick up a coverless but complete copy last year or so. Still have to decide which way to marry them for a green label....estimated at a 4-5.

27 minutes ago, Jimbo749 said:

How do you keep the case from getting scuffed any worse? Do you bag the slabs?

Yes, @Jimbo749 I do bag my Graded books, however these scratches, scuffs, smudges are inside of the CGC case. Came back that way. Thinking the scratches stop the Newton Rings. 

If you zoom the picture they really stand out at the top, and bottom under the knife, and well in a lot of other places. :tonofbricks: