• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comics in your collection, that hurts to look at
2 2

104 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, kav said:

Just remember folks-if most of the books hadnt been destroyed like this, they wouldnt be worth squat.  There would be like 1 million copies of Action #1 for example.  I think that was the print runs back then.

True! 

My dad was born in 1940, he was 40 when I was born. 

He told stories of seeing how high him and my uncle could stack comics, or roll them up and use them as swords, just kids being kids. 

He sees values and quickly says that's a shame and changes the subject after saying something like, "Gosh!" Lol

He lived in Bloomington Illinois, home of state farm, which was like the highest building around. Well state farm and the hotel that my dad lived in, as my grand parents helped run the place...

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

Ok, going to post 1 more then go to bed. this one is complete inside, but truly hurts my eyes to look at.

ASM #8.

I swear one day I’m going to get drunk, and run across this book,and start a bonfire with it. lol

567964C8-7E53-44A0-9956-63782D6D6461.thumb.jpeg.d565ef8abd2afec7d36c37a76c33e421.jpeg3125A2AC-A191-4479-8BAE-3CCE213EB9C4.thumb.jpeg.1bd080b918526c006362718c50749220.jpeg

:tink: have fun with this one!!

4 minutes ago, nepatkm said:

Ok, going to post 1 more then go to bed. this one is complete inside, but truly hurts my eyes to look at.

ASM #8.

I swear one day I’m going to get drunk, and run across this book,and start a bonfire with it. lol

567964C8-7E53-44A0-9956-63782D6D6461.thumb.jpeg.d565ef8abd2afec7d36c37a76c33e421.jpeg3125A2AC-A191-4479-8BAE-3CCE213EB9C4.thumb.jpeg.1bd080b918526c006362718c50749220.jpeg

Wife bought it after dealer told her it was a 9.8?

1 minute ago, kav said:

Wife bought it after dealer told her it was a 9.8?

No I bought it for $10, many years ago as a slot filler. I’ve upgraded to a better copy, so this copy really needs to go. 

2 minutes ago, nepatkm said:

No I bought it for $10, many years ago as a slot filler. I’ve upgraded to a better copy, so this copy really needs to go. 

Send it packin.  One time I sold a Superman 39 on ebay-it had been eaten by termites and had no spine-just a stack of pages.  I got $45 for it to my amazement.  Couple bidder didnt want to let go I guess.  List it as auction and see wut happens!!!!

16 minutes ago, nepatkm said:

ASM #8.

Any early Spidey book, no matter the grade, is a book to be cherished. That's a nice reader, and display book even.

9 hours ago, nepatkm said:

So Anyway my wife will not buy any raw comics for me now, just CGC graded as raw untrusted.  😃 and really doesn’t like or trust dealers at conventions anymore.. so we don’t go to many nowadays, especially out of state. 

My advice-Check your books, and know the item you’re purchasing before buying. 

Anyone else want to share a sad tale, or book that doesn’t belong?

I dont want to share a sad tale, just a response.

That's crazy!🤯

How does he get away with that? I just went to the show this weekend and only bought one graded copy. Now I'm reluctant to send in the raw copies I purchased for fear of being made a fool of. And now your wife could of been an avid collector is now reluctant to purchase comics upgraded.

That's a shame😪

4 hours ago, 01TheDude said:

Whatever you do-- don't burn it! Plenty of collectors would love to have that book if not over priced too bad. One of my earliest and oldest books that I cherished as a young collector was Tales of Suspense 63 (Capt America origin). The book cover (the parts still around) was held together with tape-- here's a scan:

TOS-63-2-a.thumb.jpg.dc829a8471a8ece5fa22776b85963410.jpg

It did not have a back cover. I think I sold this for around 7 bucks in 2015. I had acquired a nice replacement way back in the late 1970s during my first foray into collecting-- then hung on to both until deciding to cut loose some of these older doubles. I also had a similar situation with a JIM 122. In 1976-- these were my favorite books in my collection. It was a little weird just letting them go -- even the first books I ever bought were tough to let go.

I Do know what you mean, and mine are never in danger of being burned. That was a poorly stated, and thoughtless attempt at humor. 

I do know these kind of copies that we all have do hold sentimental value, with some great history behind them. And then reading the Amazing stories contained inside. 

l did purchase it years ago, but when I first came across the copy, I couldn’t hand over my $10 fast enough. 

The good old days of collecting, :cloud9:

1 hour ago, Hollywood1892 said:

I dont want to share a sad tale, just a response.

That's crazy!🤯

How does he get away with that? I just went to the show this weekend and only bought one graded copy. Now I'm reluctant to send in the raw copies I purchased for fear of being made a fool of. And now your wife could of been an avid collector is now reluctant to purchase comics upgraded.

That's a shame😪

It’s all good, she learned a lesson. She still reads, and enjoys the movies and shows. Just not making big purchases that aren’t already graded. 

We have a 6 year old daughter now, so when we do go to a convention, there’s plenty of other things for them to do and enjoy. ( my daughter loves getting little sketches done) while I get to hunt and purchase items on my own for a bit without feeling bad that she may be bored. 

2 hours ago, nepatkm said:

It’s all good, she learned a lesson. She still reads, and enjoys the movies and shows. Just not making big purchases that aren’t already graded. 

We have a 6 year old daughter now, so when we do go to a convention, there’s plenty of other things for them to do and enjoy. ( my daughter loves getting little sketches done) while I get to hunt and purchase items on my own for a bit without feeling bad that she may be bored. 

Nice

It feels good being able to share in your passion with loved ones, and being able to raise your daughter with that same passion must feel like a sense of accomplishment for you.

😊

14 hours ago, nepatkm said:

Cutouts, incomplete story. 

C357BF1E-151A-4AB7-8011-316EA85809A1.jpeg

FD352194-47DC-4516-979B-C8F89B642843.jpeg

D377B3F2-130B-4768-A8A1-3AF6D5468C8D.jpeg

F3424F6C-3584-49C4-BEC4-2F34FEF31C59.jpeg

at least she was nice enough to go & buy it for you! my wife will never go to anything comic related except for the movies! 

just display the cover but it is very sad to see a great book cut up! 

Was the person responsible making a ransom note ? :roflmao:

13 hours ago, nepatkm said:

So is the problem the Sig?

Still it's witnessed by CGC, Very Nice!! (thumbsu

:sorry:I traded away my ASM #1 in my younger days, for a complete set of Nova :facepalm:

But according to BitcoinSwami, all is going to pay out for me soon! :whee:

Yes! you are trying to revive the Swarmy thread ! KNOVA RULES! MY KOLLECTION IS BETTER THAN YURS!