• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Usagi to IDW... in color??

17 posts in this topic

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/02/22/arts/design/usagi-yojimbo-new-publisher.html

Ok...

I thought DH had been a good steward of this book, and i'm surprised to hear that it's moving...

I also always really liked that it was B&W... not stoked about that change, but I'll still read. 

Anyone know any back story? Maybe just thinking he might get more market reach with a new #1 and a publisher change?

Can't hate that...

Really hope IDW can stop doing all their damned RI covers with this series too, but I doubt it. That's the biggest reason this news scares me... but I bet they do bring in some new readers...

Looks like it’s just colorized reprints coming from IDW, I expect the ongoing stuff to remain at Dark Horse. Hopefully the Saga hardcovers remain at DH and in black and white too 

Edited by dupont2005

1 minute ago, dupont2005 said:

Looks like it’s just colorized reprints coming from IDW, I expect the ongoing stuff to remain at Dark Horse. Hopefully the Saga hardcovers remain at DH and in black and white too 

Hah.  We're criss-crossing messages :)

It sounds like they're starting a whole new ongoing as well as coloring and reprinting the old stuff.

I'd like to think that's not the case and it stays at DH like you, but they said "new series" a couple of times, so I'm afraid it's gone from DH...

53 minutes ago, Schmakt said:

Hah.  We're criss-crossing messages :)

It sounds like they're starting a whole new ongoing as well as coloring and reprinting the old stuff.

I'd like to think that's not the case and it stays at DH like you, but they said "new series" a couple of times, so I'm afraid it's gone from DH...

Maybe Sakai is planning on retiring. What I would expect from IDW immediately is a of variant covers for every issue. After that a crossover with something that doesn’t even make sense, like Transformers or whatever. After that multiple series, which would coincide with non-Sakai written and illustrated issues. Eventually, he’s not even on the series anymore 

14 minutes ago, dupont2005 said:

Maybe Sakai is planning on retiring. What I would expect from IDW immediately is a of variant covers for every issue. After that a crossover with something that doesn’t even make sense, like Transformers or whatever. After that multiple series, which would coincide with non-Sakai written and illustrated issues. Eventually, he’s not even on the series anymore 

I'm trying to be less pessimistic these days, but if I had to bet on a theory, I think you've got it.  Infestation 3!

Usagi / TMNT crossovers are a treat... when they're not normal... 

At least it doesn't sound like he's selling the right to the Rabbit!

Edited by Schmakt

A TMNT/Usagi crossover is fine if Sakai is illustrating it and it’s not those anime looking Nickelodeon turtles but that’s how I’d expect IDW to do it. They truly do destroy every franchise they get their hooks into.

Their reprints are fine though 

So now what I’m thinking might be happening, and what I HOPE is happening, is a licensed series at IDW, in the Nickelodeon style, to be introduced to the TMNT universe, with Stan continuing his series at Dark Horse. It’s announced to be monthly and in color and I’m not sure Stan can tackle that, even though his DH series averaged 10 issues per year for most of its run, there were a few hiatuses, at his age I’m not sure he would be looking for a MORE hectic schedule than I’m sure he already has. I wouldn’t be surprised if he’s looking to finally monetize the IP to reduce his need to produce monthly to pay the bills. I hope it’s not the end of Sakai comics, but if he cuts back to maybe 100 pages a year I’d still be very happy with that

That would be cool.  I'm not sure I'd feel motivated to pick up another series if Sakai wasn't creating it though... especially not if he was still doing the DH work.

Depends on who it would be, of course, and now that I'm thinking about it I bet a rotating creator Usagi series would attract some mighty fine talent...

I wouldn’t be interested in the slightest. Not even close to interested in any shared universe licenses comics. But whoever is buying up the new TMNT series would probably be interested, especially if Usagi got his own cartoon series 

9 hours ago, dupont2005 said:

Stan just saidon Facebook the series is moving to IDW. I’ll stick with it until the first crossover then I’m done

Thanks for the update... Hopefully it gets him some more exposure and financial success.  That's a bummer though.  I bet they'll be more variants of #1 than there were issues published at all last year.

Not only RI covers through IDW 1:10, 1:25, and 1:50, but it looks like store exclusive variants have finally hit Usagi Yojimbo. I've seen one from Tess Rose? and one from Mike Choi shared on Facebook. 

Usagi Yojimbo virgin variant *shudders*. I'm out of my element. 

It is what it is.  I do like the B & W.  But now, another person in comics gets a job.  Coloring the old stuff and coloring the new stuff.  We who have been reading Usagi forever love it as is... but for the next generations of comic readers, color might get them to read the original stories and the new ones.  I did get an original art of Usagi fighting Leonardo a few years ago, it one of my favorites of my collection.  

On 5/3/2019 at 3:12 AM, oldmilwaukee6er said:

Not only RI covers through IDW 1:10, 1:25, and 1:50, but it looks like store exclusive variants have finally hit Usagi Yojimbo. I've seen one from Tess Rose? and one from Mike Choi shared on Facebook. 

Usagi Yojimbo virgin variant *shudders*. I'm out of my element. 

Also a HerosCon exclusive by Charles Vess. 

https://www.heroesonline.com/blog/2019/05/28/heroescon-2019-usagi-1-variants/

On 6/5/2019 at 7:50 PM, Hey Kids, Comics! said:

A $55 set of covers from J Scott Campbell...

http://comicsandponies.storenvy.com/products/27664155-usagi-yojimbo-1-j-scott-campbell-variant-set-presented-by-cnp