• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Please Grady My Books of Magic #1 (possible 9.8??)

20 posts in this topic

Hello, I finally managed to get my hands on a near mint copy of the Books of Magic #1. But how good is it? Well, that's where I need some help. All opinions are welcome. And please let me know if the comic has any chance at all of getting graded at a 9.8. Will CGC be more lenient for a prestige format book (considering how they are very difficult to preserve condition)? The bottom back is what worries me the most, but perhaps I am being a bit paranoid (it might be a manufacturing error, but it doesn't really look like it). Thanks again for your opinions. 

P.S. The pictures are all very up close, so some defects might look worse than they actually are. However, the quality might not be the best. For this, I apologize.

Edit - So I looked at some more copies of this book on eBay. Discovered that all of them (every single one) has that damage at the bottom (back) of the book. I don't know if it was a manufacturing error or if they just got damaged over time. Just thought I would let you all know. Thanks again. 

Edit #2 - The small ding on the bottom left side of the cover (spine side) is a 1/16 inch tear.

20190223_003721.thumb.jpg.38b9cd5fd40829fe8d21bbf5a294351f.jpg

20190223_003730.thumb.jpg.bb67a335f96bcefd93f99dccde7a0eb7.jpg

20190223_003735.thumb.jpg.4e184b67fe4431339af345b390344929.jpg

20190223_003738.thumb.jpg.a96c53e6af00e7172d7bab199da39c08.jpg

20190223_003751.thumb.jpg.597f6b32dacaa4f41e977472cdb31244.jpg

20190223_003814.thumb.jpg.fe2c8341fcd3eb34b8947d4538e8eecf.jpg

20190223_003832.thumb.jpg.5ddaf33c3e2ceb16b2a80b104b1f5ce4.jpg

20190223_003836.thumb.jpg.164fa02c67c3798ee47ea8b87fdf55c5.jpg

20190223_003841.thumb.jpg.0004330487415db34109a3f1ded92b70.jpg

20190223_003845.thumb.jpg.8e8178ea3ddc99510857be80fdf74385.jpg

Edited by Spawn1709

2 of my Dark Night Returns have that crease going down the front by the spine  - from opening that stiff cardboard cover to read it.

I would think that would keep it from a 9.8

From starting at Ebay pics of DKR 9.8 copies, I didn't see any with that type of crease.   Hard to tell from the pic (at least to me) about that bottom of back cover issue you mentioned)  Also looks like a very tiny defect on the front lower left corner

My newbie grading guess would be 9.4

1 hour ago, csaag said:

2 of my Dark Night Returns have that crease going down the front by the spine  - from opening that stiff cardboard cover to read it.

I would think that would keep it from a 9.8

From starting at Ebay pics of DKR 9.8 copies, I didn't see any with that type of crease.   Hard to tell from the pic (at least to me) about that bottom of back cover issue you mentioned)  Also looks like a very tiny defect on the front lower left corner

My newbie grading guess would be 9.4

I think that those lines are manufacturing errors. They are on every copy. It might be because the cover is so black that they appear more visible. Regardless, I am more concerned about the bottom of the back. You are right, there is a small defect at the lower left corner. 

Do you think there is any chance for a 9.8?

Regardless, thanks for the opinion!

Edited by Spawn1709

I'll steal what someone does for my PGMs and list the Heritage site definition of 9.8

I am a newbie with  grading but yours I think would have a chance at being 'minor imperfections' if the crease line on the cover is as you say.  I don't really know if it's enough to bump it down to 9.6 (again with not counting the crease line)

9.8 NEAR MINT/MINT (NM/MT): 
Nearly perfect in every way with only minor imperfections that keep it from the next higher grade. Only subtle bindery or printing defects are allowed. Cover is flat with no surface wear. Inks are bright with high reflectivity and minimal fading. Corners are cut square and sharp. Small, inconspicuous, lightly penciled, stamped or inked arrival dates are acceptable as long as they are in an unobtrusive location. Spine is tight and flat. Staples must be original, generally centered and clean with no rust. Paper is white, supple and fresh. Only the slightest interior tears are allowed.

1 hour ago, csaag said:

I'll steal what someone does for my PGMs and list the Heritage site definition of 9.8

I am a newbie with  grading but yours I think would have a chance at being 'minor imperfections' if the crease line on the cover is as you say.  I don't really know if it's enough to bump it down to 9.6 (again with not counting the crease line)

9.8 NEAR MINT/MINT (NM/MT): 
Nearly perfect in every way with only minor imperfections that keep it from the next higher grade. Only subtle bindery or printing defects are allowed. Cover is flat with no surface wear. Inks are bright with high reflectivity and minimal fading. Corners are cut square and sharp. Small, inconspicuous, lightly penciled, stamped or inked arrival dates are acceptable as long as they are in an unobtrusive location. Spine is tight and flat. Staples must be original, generally centered and clean with no rust. Paper is white, supple and fresh. Only the slightest interior tears are allowed.

Thanks!

24 minutes ago, timfinz said:

My personal opinion is that this book would not grade at 9.8 because of the top and bottom spine issues. I think the book looks great but the indentations I think will prevent the book from attaining that 9.8

Hide contents

9.6 IMHO!

No 9.8? That's a shame. Do you think there is a possibility?

Thanks for the opinion! 

14 hours ago, Spawn1709 said:

No 9.8? That's a shame. Do you think there is a possibility?

Thanks for the opinion! 

There's always a possibility. We only get to see the photos and scans of the books. The grader will actually get to hold it physically and be able to determine whether what we may see from a photo or scan as a defect is simply the reflection of the flash of light from the camera or scanner. Your book presents extremely well regardless.

Cheers!

2 hours ago, timfinz said:

There's always a possibility. We only get to see the photos and scans of the books. The grader will actually get to hold it physically and be able to determine whether what we may see from a photo or scan as a defect is simply the reflection of the flash of light from the camera or scanner. Your book presents extremely well regardless.

Cheers!

Thank you :) 

Bump!! Other opinions?

I'd guess 9.4/9.6 to be safe. Is the last photo showing some faint thumb dents along the back cover's open edge?

As a general comment I am reluctant to grade books here from fragmented closeup photos; grading from large clear scans is MUCH easier. From photos it's very hard to get an overall sense of the book or to know if we're missing something critical. 

1 hour ago, Ahsoka Tano Jedi Apprentice said:

Hey Spawn .............9.6  because CGC doesn't give out 9.8's  because they have to be tough guy's and nit-pik everything to death.

1 hour ago, Point Five said:

I'd guess 9.4/9.6 to be safe. Is the last photo showing some faint thumb dents along the back cover's open edge?

As a general comment I am reluctant to grade books here from fragmented closeup photos; grading from large clear scans is MUCH easier. From photos it's very hard to get an overall sense of the book or to know if we're missing something critical. 

1 hour ago, chrisco37 said:

Hard to tell from photos but, based on the spine, I would say you have zero chance of 9.8.   You can see feint color breaks in multiple areas.  

Thanks for your thoughts! What about the back cover? I think the marks on the bottom of the back might bring the grade down as well. What do you guys think?