• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

When you decide to cash out, how will you sell?
1 1

When you decide to cash out, how will you sell?  

42 members have voted

1. 1. When you decide to cash out, how will you sell?

• Consign to an auction house?
    • Sell privately (CAF, CGC, 2DG, to friends)?
    • Become a dealer (launch your own website and/or list on ebay)?
    • Leave/gift to heirs who you know will not immediately divest?
    • Sell to a dealer in bulk?

9 posts in this topic

I'm sure this has been asked before, but I'm more interested in the whys rather than the votes. Recent discussions on the boards have brought up different anecdotal points--

1. Some folks have mentioned they are continually surprised at the large numbers that things sell for privately. And yet... Are the people who pick "consign to auction" doing so because they are worried about leaving money on the table? Are they factoring in the 10-40% fees into their math?

2. We hear stories of people turning down a healthy (and sometimes insane) sum for a piece privately only to auction it later. Results vary. Sometimes it goes their way. Sometimes not. Are they consciously rolling the dice on the final hammer? Or is it just a matter of not being emotionally ready to sell when the offer comes in the door the first time? Anyone ever reach out to that person who pestered you years before?

Edited by BCarter27

I could have selected all of these:

• Consign to an auction house?
  • Sell privately (CAF, CGC, 2DG, to friends)?
  • Become a dealer (launch your own website and/or list on ebay)?

Because I will some business in each manner. But primarily the third.

Why?

The gross quantity means considerable time/energy on my part no matter what and certain numerous deep concentrations will require more finesse in the dole out than anybody but myself would manage correctly (meaning maximum ROI back to me, not churn 'n burn as HA has shown an unfortunate attraction to in the past).

On 2/23/2019 at 4:01 AM, Oddball said:

I sell occasionally and it’s always comiclink. Very simple and convenient and they take 10%.  It’s fire and forget and eventually funds are wired into my account.  

Is there a wire option?  Thought it was only check. 

When it truly comes time to let it all go I expect that will be because I am dead. So I have told the wife to go with CC as Vinnie Z. has been a gentleman to the family. I too have sold on comiclink and the lower tier stuff (mostly what I have) does poorly in my experience. I sell all the time, constantly in fact, on ebay and on here and recently began on FB as well. But the stuff I keep should go to an auction house when I kick it as it is just a hassle for the family to deal with.

I have never used an auction house but for higher end pieces I would. If I ever sell them while being alive and that's a big IF. I do sell on my CAF and by posting in several of the facebook groups for OA.