• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Overpriced 1st appearances
3 3

179 posts in this topic

i Think many of the secondary and tertiary characters that have already appeared in Marvel movies have some overpriced 1st appearances:

- 1st Ulton, Collector, etc

i also think Sgt Fury 1 and Strange Tales #110 are overpriced, and likewise Luke Cage #1

for DC, house of Secrets 92, Action 252, NTT #1, any Kirby 1970’s #1

8 minutes ago, Mercury Man said:

I always go back to Avengers 55.  People were wetting themselves due to Ultron's first appearance, Avengers movie etc.  It has come down quite a bit from a few years ago.   Do we expect the same from Iron Man 55?

Iron man 55 will definitely not go down like Ultron. Thanos is not a one off villain. They practically built 10 years worth of films around his appearance. It's also a notable appearance of three other characters (two of which have been speculated to appear later). I stupidly traded my copy a year ago anticipating this happening. I don't think it will drastically increase, but it should see a slight bump here or there over the next few years. The biggest problem I see is the huge amount of poorly centered and poorly pressed issues on the market. Kind of like the X-men 94. For every high sale you get three low sales due to the issue not being very presentable.

Edited by MadJimJaspers

1 hour ago, Blastaar said:

How about this guy? Always wanted it but the tag on higher grades is nuts for a character who never made it beyond the C list.

wfwr32.jpg.a9d7af9c6c9d21f53e62b1f65a3fbcf3.jpg

I have the original however I also have the silver edition which I never knew was a reprint, I still can't tell you what's a second print of a comic unless it says so at the top?:bigsmile:

s-l300.jpg

Edited by tv horror

2 minutes ago, jjonahjameson11 said:

i Think many of the secondary and tertiary characters that have already appeared in Marvel movies have some overpriced 1st appearances:

i also think Sgt Fury 1 and Strange Tales #110 are overpriced, and likewise Luke Cage #1

HOS92!! no way! Comparing prices of GSX1 and 181 which are ~10 less rare I think this issue is just starting.

10 minutes ago, MadJimJaspers said:

HOS92!! no way! Comparing prices of GSX1 and 181 which are ~10 less rare I think this issue is just starting.

I can appreciate the scarcity of HOS 92 as much as anyone, but Swamp Thing is a C-level character and you are comparing its 1st appearance valuation against the 1st appearance of the modern X-Men, arguable the most popular title of the past 30+ years, and you’re telling me I’m wrong???  Lol 😂 

21 minutes ago, jjonahjameson11 said:

I can appreciate the scarcity of HOS 92 as much as anyone, but Swamp Thing is a C-level character and you are comparing its 1st appearance valuation against the 1st appearance of the modern X-Men, arguable the most popular title of the past 30+ years, and you’re telling me I’m wrong???  Lol 😂 

Agreed I always thought HOS92 was way over priced. Swamp thing is not a super huge character. It is kind of scarce, but so are most DC silver age books, and when compared in price to other SA DC, its honestly pretty ridiculous.

Edited by HuddyBee

I'm just going to say it. AF 15. With over 3000 copies on the census, there are nearly 8x as many copies as SC 4, this book should not be fetching so much to put it up with AC 1 and TEC 27. Should definitely be the most valuable SA Marvel comic, and be worth quite a lot, but I think its a little much just when compared to how scarce so many other books are. 

Edited by HuddyBee

4 minutes ago, HuddyBee said:

Agreed I always thought HOS92 was way over priced. Swamp thing is not a super huge character. It is kind of scarce, but so are most DC silver age books, and when compared in price to there SA DC, its honestly pretty ridiculous.

As much as I love Wrightson Swamp Thing, HOS92 does seem like it's jumped up a lot in recent years. That said, I still need to get it... lol

24 minutes ago, Shadow said:

As much as I love Wrightson Swamp Thing, HOS92 does seem like it's jumped up a lot in recent years. That said, I still need to get it... lol

Yeah, me too. I'll probably just get Phantom Stranger 14 or HOM 195 some of his prototypes, and call it a day.

Edited by HuddyBee

1 hour ago, jjonahjameson11 said:

ST110? I haven’t looked at prices in awhile, but last I glanced it was stagnant...relatively speaking. Especially for a major key...

Has it been on the move?

Edited by Callaway29

54 minutes ago, jjonahjameson11 said:

Are you a Fury hater or what? (tsk) Fury is the man! Granted, I'm not a big fan of the modern recreation of Fury in the movies. Kind of totally ignored the entire story of the original character.  They had a chance to tell his story in the early movies, but decided to just leave it out. Guess they thought another WWII hero and story wouldn't appeal to the masses.:frown: In any case, his firsts are valued much lower than other OG Marvel characters with self-titled series that ran for 167 issues (1963-1981).

7 hours ago, Blastaar said:

Always wondered why Sabertooth's first appearance carried so much value. 9.0 - 9.4 around a $500+ tag. Slightly above a first Iron Fist in most listings. 

Not over priced... 1st appearance of wolverine's biggest bad and not a bad  X- character by himself. Also Iron Fist was about to be canceled so the print run was low. 

1 hour ago, jjonahjameson11 said:

Swamp thing is not C level and I'm not telling you you are wrong. I'm simply comparing the 10k price on a book where there are over 600 copies on the census vs a book of the same grade where there are almost 1/10 of that.

2 hours ago, Lazyboy said:
6 hours ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

All of them.

That's not true even in this crazy market... until the character is even rumored to be adapted to some other media.

They're all overpriced. That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

:sumo:

Oh, shoot, I got books to sell! hm

Nevermind, they're all STUNNING BARGAINS!! :D